Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I purchase a higher first class fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, Hilton Diamond

I'm about $300 short of making the Diamond MQDs for next year.

I knew it was going to be close and have 3 remaining flights this year - and purchased them as a first class + refundable ticket to get some additional MQDs.

So I am already booked in P and D class - but can I call Delta and upgrade to a "higher" Fare class to spend another $300?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
F fare.
sdadept likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking the same thing - but when I go to Delta.com and try to force a search + price for F fare - the results still returns a lower First class + Refundable fare.

I'm guessing Delta rep can force a higher fare ticket?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Can you find the Advanced Fare search page where it's possible to specify fare class?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Yep, of course - it doesn't return F fare when there seems to be a lower full fare available.

Note - I just tried again for the N time...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
And if you sort by price, the highest fares aren't showing F? I just tried DTW-MCO. Sure, G and P fares were presented -- but so was F at the end of a long list of itins.
paris1000 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
What's your routing and dates?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm - try SEA to ATL on 12/2. Direct flights only.

Weird - I see F class on some connecting legs - but nothing on direct flights.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I see what you mean, I'm unable to get it to provide more options on the nonstop, actually now I am, you just need to check the refundable box on the search page or upgrade to flexible after selecting one of the fares below.
If you try to make a new booking, after selecting a Z, D, or I it will offer an upgrade to flexible first class for your $370 figure.

EF shows a lot of filed fares in your sweetspot (and others that aren't, like a full F fare $9576), I would probably call.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Nov 6, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this also be a bit confusing since DL has decided to market their domestic FC flights as business class, so that F P A G is turning into J C D I Z? Maybe the OP needs to look for J instead of F. This seems to already be happening for the segment in D class.

OTOH maybe the logic of the delta.dumb search process is to return refundable P fares when available instead of F since the only difference seems to be that F is last seat availability.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:21 pm

I will end up $200 MQD short of Diamond...any one know if they will round up or give you a bump? I guess just buying a "mileage run" ticket might do it, but just curious.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this also be a bit confusing since DL has decided to market their domestic FC flights as business class, so that F P A G is turning into J C D I Z? Maybe the OP needs to look for J instead of F. This seems to already be happening for the segment in D class.

OTOH maybe the logic of the delta.dumb search process is to return refundable P fares when available instead of F since the only difference seems to be that F is last seat availability.
When did they do this? My recently booked domestic F flights are still showing as F and A fares at this very moment.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw some discussion of this here very recently, but I don't know if there's some date at which this becomes effective. It could just apply to future ticket sales for travel after some date, or DL could plan to reissue tickets using the business class fare codes if travel is scheduled beyond the magic date. I would predict that the latter will happen so that eventiually the flight would have all passengers on the same fare class system.

The argument is that this will clarify that DL's domestic FC isn't like D1 and is lower than domestic D1 on the few routes that offer this. IIRC AA is doing something similar on its domestic flights without separate domestic FC and domestic business class cabins.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I saw some discussion of this here very recently, but I don't know if there's some date at which this becomes effective. It could just apply to future ticket sales for travel after some date, or DL could plan to reissue tickets using the business class fare codes if travel is scheduled beyond the magic date. I would predict that the latter will happen so that eventiually the flight would have all passengers on the same fare class system.

The argument is that this will clarify that DL's domestic FC isn't like D1 and is lower than domestic D1 on the few routes that offer this. IIRC AA is doing something similar on its domestic flights without separate domestic FC and domestic business class cabins.

Historically/currently, DL uses the business class inventory on flights that "continue" on as international flights (although usually it's not the same aircraft). I think it was DL4 or DL400 that was SLC-JFK-FRA, and the premium cabin on SLC-JFK was sold as business.
I'm not aware of any plans to do this systemwide, but that doesn't mean I don't believe you.

AA did this already maybe a year ago. The only flights sold with F (and sub-class A) inventory are the international/transcontinental 4/3-class flights with "real" first class. Otherwise, all premium cabins on 2-class flights, domestic and international, are sold with business inventories (J/D/I), although they are still referred to as "First class" on confirmations, by gate agents, etc. I think one of the motivating factors was related to the inventory class used for upgrades, and the switch made it easier for AA to meaningfully restrict mileage/SWU upgrades on domestic flights, which previously had been very very easy. I doubt that's relevant for DL.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:08 pm

If you're trying to search for Fare class F, that could be it. If you search for J or higher, the flight you want should show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.