Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to start SEA-SIN nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

SQ to start SEA-SIN nonstop

https://www.portseattle.org/news/sin...ea-tac-airport

The four-times-a-week service, beginning on September 3, 2019, will be on a fuel-efficient A350-900 aircraft with 253 seats (42 business, 24 premium economy, 187 economy). It will be initially operated three times per week before increasing to four times per week in October 2019.
Let's see:
  • DL ended SEA-HKG
  • CX starting SEA-HKG in March 2019
  • JL starting SEA-NRT in March 2019
  • SQ starting SEA-SIN in September 2019
CX, JL and SQ partner with AS, so all new flights will have feeds on both ends.

This does not look good for DL in SEA. Would not be surprised if DL ends SEA-NRT and NRT-SIN.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
As a SEA-based GM, it is definitely disappointing that Delta has ended a lot of great Seattle-originating Asia routes.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 1, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: new Mod - oops
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't see this one lasting. SEA ain't SFO or LAX.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I suspect DL has mild regrets about not starting SEA-SIN now; it probably would have kept SQ at bay for a while. I suspect they were waiting for some combination of more new Airbus aircraft or the new IAF facility; probably shouldn’t have waited, in retrospect.

The next two years or so are going to be make or break for the new Seattle hub, especially with the local market on a softening path for the first time in a decade. Either the Asian competition eats their lunch and AS finally gets their revenge, or DL manages to make a stand and proves the viability of the connecting hub over the long term.

I, for one, am looking forward to popping some popcorn and taking some cheap trips to Asia, preferably in premium cabins. 🍿
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Another SEA-based GM here. I don’t get the feeling that DL is terribly interested in non-hub markets in Asia because of poor yields. Most of the DL adds in the past 2 years have been focused on domestic, particularly with mid/transcon flights. An example is IAD, which started last year and will be going twice daily next summer. Internationally, I’m thinking that they’ll focus on flights where they have partners, and they’ve even called out TATL as having better yields despite European LCCs.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
As a SEA-based GM, it is definitely disappointing that Delta has ended a lot of great Seattle-originating Asia routes.
Delta ended SEA-HKG. They ended SEA-HND but kept SEA-NRT. Are there other SEA-Asia routes that DL terminated and hasn't resumed, nor announced plans to resume?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta ended SEA-HKG. They ended SEA-HND but kept SEA-NRT. Are there other SEA-Asia routes that DL terminated and hasn't resumed, nor announced plans to resume?
SEA-HND had a bad schedule.

SEA-KIX was last flown in 2013. It’s either their second or third attempt at it, depending on if you count DL’s NW heritage.

At one point in time they flew to other Asian cities from PDX. Only a couple of them are still DL stations, mostly Japanese ones still having HNL nonstops, like KIX.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

SQ flight timings is interesting. Early departure SIN-SEA at 9:25am makes it impossible to connect from BKK, DPS and pretty much all major SE Asia desridestina except KUL.

But the flight connects well with India and MLE in both directions.

For SEA arrival time is good to connect anywhere, but 10:40am departure allows only a handful connecrionc from WA, OR, CA, PHX, LAS etc with 6am-ish departure time. I think they would do better with 1 hour later departure at 11;40am (could be gate issue until new SEA terminal is complete).

Looks like SQ is targeting SIN O/D and India with proposed flight times. SIN is a DL missed opportunity. India will take traffic from DL/KL (vi AMS), BA, AC (DEL only via YVR), and a little bit from DL/KE.
BenA and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AntonS
SQ flight timings is interesting. Early departure SIN-SEA at 9:25am makes it impossible to connect from BKK, DPS and pretty much all major SE Asia desridestina except KUL.

For SEA arrival time is good to connect anywhere, but 10:40am departure allows only a handful connecrionc from WA, OR, CA, PHX, LAS etc with 6am-ish departure time. I think they would do better with 1 hour later departure at 11;40am (could be gate issue until new SEA terminal is complete).

Looks like SQ is targeting SIN O/D and India with proposed flight times. SIN is a DL missed opportunity. India will take traffic from DL/KL (vi AMS), BA, AC (DEL only via YVR), and a little bit from DL/KE.
You do realize that routing to India via SIN is around 20% longer than routing via Europe?

I think folks are wildly overreacting. SIN is quite possibly the worst located hub in Asia for North America, outside of BKK.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Interesting observation on timing. India seems like where the majority of the money will be made on this flight. There’s a huge expat population here, and by and large the folks I’ve talked to prefer Asia to Europe connections. I even know several folks who drive up to YVR to fly CX. The logic is that the onboard service is better, and they prefer a longer main flight followed by a shorter final regional connection.

EK has won some local business with their extensive network into India for similar reasons, but SQ will be able to match a lot of that... If this does shape up to be largely an India battle, that leaves EK as the primary target IMO. DL will still lose lots of SIN O&D business, but it’s possible the timing and geography means SQ won’t impact much connecting traffic to the rest of Asia...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:53 am

Out of curiosity, I ran some numbers on length. SIN is the longest route to India, but the difference isn’t nearly as bad as some might incorrectly claim, particularly compared to transit via Europe. HKG is actually shorter than AMS, for example...

It’s easy to have misconceptions about geography for routes involving SEA, which has a uniquely convenient location within the continental US for accessing both Europe and Asia...

Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:02 am

Prestige routes and duking it out with Asian airlines is not anything Delta wants any involvement with. ATL-PVG will get cut the millisecond it looks like it isn't going to work out positively. If ATL to Abilene, TX is a cash cow, that will get flown.
florin and The Situation like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
1040am departure would be possible from the east coast on 6am flights arriving around 9am to 930am.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenA
Out of curiosity, I ran some numbers on length. SIN is the longest route to India, but the difference isn’t nearly as bad as some might incorrectly claim, particularly compared to transit via Europe. HKG is actually shorter than AMS, for example...

It’s easy to have misconceptions about geography for routes involving SEA, which has a uniquely convenient location within the continental US for accessing both Europe and Asia...
Nice job cherry-picking tertiary Indian cities. Plug in BOM or DEL and you get 15% and 20% longer. There is no misconception, though your post smacks of misrepresentation.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Prestige routes and duking it out with Asian airlines is not anything Delta wants any involvement with.
Folks seem quite unfamiliar with just how badly SQ and CX are struggling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.