Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Canceling Award TIcket in Someone Else's Name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist

Long story short, girlfriend and I broke up. Had an award flight in her name that I bought using my points. Can I cancel that ticket and get my points back? What's the fee like?

Sorry if this is meant to be posted somewhere else, didn't see much in the wiki or a few quick searches.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
if you're more than 72 hours out before the flight, you can cancel and get your points back. Redeposit fee is $150, which is waived if you're PM or DM.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
if you're more than 72 hours out before the flight, you can cancel and get your points back. Redeposit fee is $150, which is waived if you're PM or DM.
Even if the ticket isn't in my name? Like it doesn't even show up on my app
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:01 am

If you used your miles it's still tied to your account and you can cancel. I do this often for my mother.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So long as the miles came from your account and you're Platinum or Diamond at the time of redeposit, the fee is waived. That you aren't flying doesn't matter at all.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Where you headed? I have vacation coming up and I'm an excellent wingman
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks.

And I am going to Maui for the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament. Not sure how many single people go there but I will be
jrkmsp, spamman808 and indufan like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:35 am

Well if you want to go to the Dominican Republic let me know. Lots of starving single women there.
SDQBound and JustinTJ like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Even if the ticket isn't in my name? Like it doesn't even show up on my app
All SkyMiles transactions are available in the app - at least the Android version that I have. Under My Delta, Skymiles, then Recent Activity. The entry is called "Award Redemption" and includes the purchased Delta ticket number (starts with "006xxxxxx").
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Login. Then pull it up by the PNR. You should be able to cancel online (usually it works, only sometimes doesn't). The account from which the miles came from needs to be logged in, and then pull up the res by PNR and last name, then click on cancel.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Can you cancel the return leg after she’s flown the outbound?

Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Can you cancel the return leg after she’s flown the outbound?

I have a friend who told me he did something like this before, not with an airline ticket. But took a girl to Florida for 4 day weekend, and he left her because she was annoying him.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP is lucky that this was an award ticket. If the OP had paid with money, most fare rules would give only a credit (not a refund to the OP's credit card) and the voucher would be owned by the girlfriend (name on the ticket), not the OP (person who had purchased the ticket).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is lucky that this was an award ticket. If the OP had paid with money, most fare rules would give only a credit (not a refund to the OP's credit card) and the voucher would be owned by the girlfriend (name on the ticket), not the OP (person who had purchased the ticket).
I was actually concerned about this. Like did I just gift them the miles/voucher? Thankfully that's not the case with award tickets.

Well I canceled. Not sure how long it takes to get the refunds but I'll report back with a datapoint.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
If you called and canceled, which I imagine you did, you'll probably see the miles back in your account shortly. As you likely found out, as long as you prove who you are and the miles came from your account, you can cancel the award trip and redeposit for no fee as a plat. Definitely one of the best things about PM and DM. Have fun in Hawaii anyways!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.