Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Willa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Hurricane Willa

Mrs Lufthomie and I have been so looking forward to our vacation to PVR starting this tues the 23rd. Apparently a hurricane is shutting down PVR this Tuesday. If this is true at what point will Delta inform us of any cancellations?
If said flight to PVR is cancelled due to this hurricane are we out what we have paid for our airfare?

Last edited by Lufthomie; Oct 22, 2018 at 4:45 am Reason: because
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
I am in the same boat. My flight on WN was cancelled into PVR on Tuesday for my honeymoon. I don’t want to go anyway post hurricane damage.

WN refunded my fare. Now I’m trying to get the resort to refund my prepaid reservation. *fingercrossed*
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
I am in the same boat. My flight on WN was cancelled into PVR on Tuesday for my honeymoon. I don’t want to go anyway post hurricane damage.

WN refunded my fare. Now I’m trying to get the resort to refund my prepaid reservation. *fingercrossed*
when we’re you advised of the cancellation? So far on my Delta app everything is still scheduled to happen.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL has a very good meteorology department. They know when they'll be able to fly and when not approx 24-48 hours before.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If a flight is ever cancelled you're eligible for a refund without penalty to original form of payment, at least for itineraries for which U.S. Dept of Transportation rules apply.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

I’ve tweeted to both DL and Southwest. Southwest has Canceled flights into PVR for the 23-24th while Delta is business as usual. I check in for LAX-PVR in 3 hours. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Supposed to track across the country and hit the northeast (e.g. JFK/LGA) this weekend, though of course it's way early to say anything definitive...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

So far so good I know it doesn’t mean much but I was able to check in for tomorrow’s flight
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Supposed to track across the country and hit the northeast (e.g. JFK/LGA) this weekend, though of course it's way early to say anything definitive...
Supposed is an pretty strong word to use in this situation.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:59 pm

Not to go too OMNI, but shouldn't we be more concerned in general when a Pacific Hurricane can hit PVR and YHZ? It seems like that should be a much bigger story...but I'm in Minnesota so I don't know a ton about Hurricanes.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lufthomie
I’ve tweeted to both DL and Southwest. Southwest has Canceled flights into PVR for the 23-24th while Delta is business as usual. I check in for LAX-PVR in 3 hours. Keeping fingers crossed.
SW seems to be much more conservative so I don't think Delta will be impressed by what they do. For example SW had a weather waiver for Atlanta for the last storm... and Atlanta was really never impacted so Delta didn't jump on that bandwagon.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by koreanair720
The atmosphere is way too complicated to make this assertion. Willa will not be tropical for too long after landfall. It's associated moisture and a weak low pressure will impact Texas and the southern plains into the Gulf. Part of it may trigger a low pressure to form off the East Coast, but the primary dynamics with this formation/strengthening appear to be caused by not Willa.

But yes, it is too early to know for sure.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
SW seems to be much more conservative so I don't think Delta will be impressed by what they do. For example SW had a weather waiver for Atlanta for the last storm... and Atlanta was really never impacted so Delta didn't jump on that bandwagon.
Agreed in principle (and Delta seems to do a decent job with their forecasts in most cases), but let's not also conflate the hurdle to cross when issuing a weather waiver for Southwest at what is just a large focus city versus literally the world's largest connecting hub - especially in concert with the fact that Southwest already does not have change fees to begin with so you only have to pay difference of fare.

A weather waiver in Atlanta can completely disrupt revenue management and fare availability at every other East/Midwest hub for Delta on the days impacted. Delta would like to avoid that at all costs until the "wait and see" option is exhausted.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Well we're on board. PDB yes febo no. Sliders for lunch. Heading towards Willa. TTYL
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Waiver is posted:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...urricane-willa

Impact dates: Oct 23-24, 2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.