Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book w/ UA or wait for DL price drop?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Book w/ UA or wait for DL price drop?

I have been watching cun-boi 1/3 o/w in j. It has been priced above typical price for the route. Normally $400-$500 UA was at $685 and DL was at $1079. Prices just dropped to $535 on UA and $700 for DL. I like the price and times for UA but would prefer to do all my flying on DL. Think I should wait and see or be safe and just grab the UA flight?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Nobody knows if Delta's price is going to drop - not even Delta Revenue Management - ten weeks out.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I understand, it is that there are many combinations in routes, DL and UA drop prices at the same time, and wanted to know if people would book or wait. I’m on the fence. If DL got down to the UA price I would be booking right now.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sevastras
I understand, it is that there are many combinations in routes, DL and UA drop prices at the same time, and wanted to know if people would book or wait. I’m on the fence. If DL got down to the UA price I would be booking right now.
No one here can you provide you the quality answer with the confidence you're looking for. It'd be all speculation. The only group that could answer that for you is Delta Revenue Management and even if they could answer it, they certainly wouldn't (for a multitude of reasons). Not trying to be rude, just honest. Your best bet may be the Kayak "Wait/Buy" tracker which will look at a large pool of historical data to help you in such a decision.

ETA: If you do want speculation, I would say it's less likely to go down given that it's just over 2 months out and over a major holiday period. But who knows. It could drop. But it can also go up. Way up. I think it could go up much more than it could go down at this point, because it's a holiday period.

Also, only you can really answer your question based on what you value. On FT, you're often getting answers from a biased sample of people who do many things that much of the traveling public doesn't because we care about things much of the traveling public doesn't. Much of the traveling public cares about 1) price and 2) schedule. Given what you've told us, if that's what you value most, then the UA option is the clear winner as it is the better option in both categories. If you care about other factors (such as DL MQMs, MQDs, etc.) that we on FT do care about and understand that bias (and are looking for an answer that is based on that bias), well, even then only you can evaluate if the ~$175 premium and less preferable flight times are worth it to you for those benefits (keeping in mind that on both options, you'd be in F, so you'll get most benefits whether on UA or DL).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 21, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I just looked, and DL has an F (Z) fare BOI>SEA>CUN that departs at 0600 for $448.

A few others in the $500-$650 range.

Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I just looked, and DL has an F (Z) fare BOI>SEA>CUN that departs at 0600 for $448.
Wrong direction. OP is looking for CUN-BOI, not BOI-CUN.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. Of course I want a biased opinion because I try to fly exclusively delta, and quit my road warrior life but would like to retain GM for my pleasure travels without spending $100k’s on Amex cards. Will most likely keep enough travel but don’t want to waste flights on another carrier and have to do a mileage run toward the end of the year. This is a 4 person booking, other wise I would just eat the $150-$200 and call it a day. $1000 total difference hurts a little more.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sevastras
Thank you for the feedback. Of course I want a biased opinion because I try to fly exclusively delta, and quit my road warrior life but would like to retain GM for my pleasure travels without spending $100k’s on Amex cards. Will most likely keep enough travel but don’t want to waste flights on another carrier and have to do a mileage run toward the end of the year. This is a 4 person booking, other wise I would just eat the $150-$200 and call it a day. $1000 total difference hurts a little more.
$1000 would buy a mileage run later in the year (I.e. possibly a mini-vacation) where you could earn a lot more than the ~4500 MQMs you’d earn on your CUN-BOI one-way. For $1000 you could probably get to Asia or Europe and back and earn double the 4500 MQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.