Search

Silver Medallion Upgrade Chances:

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Silver Medallion Upgrade Chances:

Hi FT Community,

Going on a 5-leg trip next month and wanted to get an idea of what to expect regarding chances of being upgraded to FC. Currently ticketed in Comfort + (W) for all legs except DEN-LAX which I paid my way into FC (A). I know that being a Silver Medallion means I'm most likely not going to be upgraded, but wanted to see what you guys think for the following flights:

Friday 11/16 12:27 PM Departure DL1645 DTW-DEN B739
(showing 14 First currently available)

Friday 11/23 9:15 PM Departure DL1424 LAX-JFK B752S
(showing 9 Delta One currently available)

Saturday 11/24 9:14 AM Departure DL525 JFK-DTW B717
(showing 12 First currently available)

Saturday 11/24 12:15 PM Departure DL6176 DTW-TVC CRJ900
(showing 8 First currently available)

Also looking for lounges close to Delta gates at LAX and JFK that I can pay to access without having a SkyClub or PriorityPass membership. Thanks and look forward to hearing back from you!

Last edited by JackFranchino; Oct 19, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Odds are sufficiently close to zero for your Friday flights. The Saturday flights may yield pretty good chances.

So long as you're willing to pay for a Single Visit Pass, Delta-operated SkyClubs (separate from partner lounges) are accessible to you.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Just an FYI November is the 11th month, not 9th.

Not sure about you're other flights but I'd say the JFK flights less than 1%
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:36 pm

I am going to assume you mean you are traveling in November since you say next month but wrote 9/xx. Given you are flying the week of Thanksgiving and have a couple Saturday flights, your odds are better than normal. If your expectations are that you won't get upgraded to F, your expectations are in the right place. The only one I would say is not going to happen is LAX-JFK. The rest I would expect an upgrade to at least a decent C+ seat.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My estimates:

DTW-DEN: 7%
LAX-JFK: 2%
JFK-DTW: 28%
DTW-TVC: 39%

You can pay to access SkyClubs.
Mr. Tickets and TommyD2 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by aacar
My estimates:

DTW-DEN: 7%
LAX-JFK: 2%
JFK-DTW: 28%
DTW-TVC: 39%

You can pay to access SkyClubs.
I'd go .01% on the LAX-JFK
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL; SPG; Marriott
I think Jack has a decent shot at an "upgrade" to Comfort+ on the 75S flight from LAX to JFK as those aircraft have 44 Comfort+ seats, though the "upgrade" may be to a Comfort+ middle seat. As a GM, I've regularly received Comfort+ seats at the window on the 75S, even on award tickets, and those seats have always been windows or aisles, not middles. Jack may as well put the thought of an upgrade to D1 right out of his mind, though, as those aircraft only have 16 D1 seats.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by Danymal
I think Jack has a decent shot at an "upgrade" to Comfort+ on the 75S flight from LAX to JFK as those aircraft have 44 Comfort+ seats, though the "upgrade" may be to a Comfort+ middle seat. As a GM, I've regularly received Comfort+ seats at the window on the 75S, even on award tickets, and those seats have always been windows or aisles, not middles. Jack may as well put the thought of an upgrade to D1 right out of his mind, though, as those aircraft only have 16 D1 seats.
Hi, presently booked into Comfort+ already so looks like no upgrade.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
If you have an unbranded Amex Platinum card, or have the Delta Amex Reserve card, you can access Delta Sky Clubs for free.

If you're Silver, or have the Delta Amex Platinum, I believe the cost for SC access is $29/pp.

Since you're already booked into C+ and F on the only flights you had a slim shot at an upgrade, you should assume you'll be staying put in your currently assigned / selected seat(s).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You're flying in the cabin in which you purchased your ticket. Have a good trip.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Normally I'd say you have some chance (albeit a small one) on JFK - DTW - TVC but the Saturday after Thanksgiving makes it virtually 0%. Sunday is still the big travel day but I often go home on Saturday now because it's a fair bit cheaper and it seems increasingly like many others are taking the same approach.

I'd plan on flying in C+ and if F somehow happens go buy a lottery ticket and it would be DTW - TVC if it happens.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Hi FT Community,

Going on a 5-leg trip next month and wanted to get an idea of what to expect regarding chances of being upgraded to FC. Currently ticketed in Comfort + (W) for all legs except DEN-LAX which I paid my way into FC (A). I know that being a Silver Medallion means I'm most likely not going to be upgraded, but wanted to see what you guys think for the following flights:

Friday 11/16 12:27 PM Departure DL1645 DTW-DEN B739
(showing 14 First currently available)

Friday 11/23 9:15 PM Departure DL1424 LAX-JFK B752S
(showing 9 Delta One currently available)

Saturday 11/24 9:14 AM Departure DL525 JFK-DTW B717
(showing 12 First currently available)

Saturday 11/24 12:15 PM Departure DL6176 DTW-TVC CRJ900
(showing 8 First currently available)

Also looking for lounges close to Delta gates at LAX and JFK that I can pay to access without having a SkyClub or PriorityPass membership. Thanks and look forward to hearing back from you!
What it is currently showing is probably not any real indicator FWIW.

But the possible curve ball is that weather events and other delays might possibly go in your favor. A couple of my PM UGs to FC have been due to delays of 2 hours or more. But, I can't imagine anything helping SM get to the wide seats.

Someone should make a thread for SM UGs, I wonder if there are any FC unicorns to be found. Definitely not in ATL I'm sure.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Just an FYI November is the 11th month, not 9th.

Not sure about you're other flights but I'd say the JFK flights less than 1%
I make this mistake from time to time. Our month names are screwed up. Sept is 7, Oct is 8, Nov is 9, and Dec is 10 and yet they are months 9-12.
defrosted likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
I often go home on Saturday now because it's a fair bit cheaper and it seems increasingly like many others are taking the same approach.
You and me both.

As to the OP, just assume no upgrade and if you get one great. Trying to figure your chances out is an exercise in futility, IMO. As a Silver (or even gold) there is way too much variation in circumstances to make a decent guess.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Odds are sufficiently close to zero for your Friday flights. The Saturday flights may yield pretty good chances.

So long as you're willing to pay for a Single Visit Pass, Delta-operated SkyClubs (separate from partner lounges) are accessible to you.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
The Friday the 23rd flight is the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's not a normal Friday for travel and may have different chances.

Of course all flights are hit or miss. Sometimes over holidays DL offers cheap buy-ups and the seats could fill with paid FC. Or the cabin could be empty. I've had both over the past years traveling over Thanksgiving and Christmas where I've seen empty FC seats and where I couldn't even clear with an RUC because FC was sold out with paid FC. On my trip to DTW over Christmas, FC was only $90 more round trip over economy. Given that I was using the companion certificate, an additional $45 per person for F over economy was an easy decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.