Wiki Posts
Search

Are MEX and GRU now focus cities?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Are MEX and GRU now focus cities?

https://ir.delta.com/

Digging through their earnings statements, it seems that DL has lately (and consistently) mentioned that they've identified MEX and GRU as one of their "hubs and key markets." I have no doubt this is due to their stake in AM and G3, but could we see more non-traditional routings to these cities? IIRC, GRU is now served by DL through MCO as well.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I doubt we'll see much in terms of 'non-traditional routes.' There certainly will be codeshares of Aeromexico routes that make more sense in terms of AM's hub structure (MEX) than they do with Delta's ATL/MSP/DTW/SLC/LAX/SEA/LGA/JFK hub structure. GRU is too far for anything but widebodies. That places a fairly significant seat-count hurdle.

Delta's pilot contract places restrictions on JV flying by partners in terms of a ratio of their flying to Delta flying. They can't try one oddball route - they'll need two to maintain balance.

MCO gets a lot of Brazilian visitors anxious to see The Mouse. In 2015, Brazil had edged out the United Kingdom to become Orlando’s second largest international market, just behind Canada.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...ando-this-year
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
delete
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by discoseal
https://ir.delta.com/

Digging through their earnings statements, it seems that DL has lately (and consistently) mentioned that they've identified MEX and GRU as one of their "hubs and key markets." I have no doubt this is due to their stake in AM and G3, but could we see more non-traditional routings to these cities? IIRC, GRU is now served by DL through MCO as well.
Since they're JV hubs or major partner hubs they get included. Just like CDG/AMS Get included. It's not that DL will be offering point to point to the cities. As other pointed out the JV hubs require balancing flight between DL and partner. It's part of the reason LAX-AMS/CDG started on DL metal. The TATL JV had become lopsided with recent AF/KL new destinations in US/CANADA.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't be surprised to see more ex-MEX but doubtful on GRU.

RDU - MEX for example would make some sense (on either DL or AM metal). They run seasonally to the resorts but nothing to MEX though my guess is most DL traffic to SA from RDU is going through ATL already so may not make sense unless there is O&D -- presumably it would be at the edge of the CR9 range or the A220 if we see that come through RDU.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
In any case, highly suggest everyone do a weekend or more in MEX--such a fabulous city, there is a reason everyone is going there!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Rumors of GRU-MCO ending

Also that poor American couple (or was it just the fiancée?) that got killed in cross fire in MEX is troubling. No thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Rumors of GRU-MCO ending

Also that poor American couple (or was it just the fiancée?) that got killed in cross fire in MEX is troubling. No thanks.
Tragic. But I'm sure you know that this also happens in American cities. I understand that there are serious drug war related problems in Mexico, but it's not everywhere. We felt extremely safe in CDMX.

Check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...avel&smtyp=cur
Lufthomie and BenA like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Miles N More, One World
I don't mean to hijack the thread so I apologize in advance. My wife and I are always looking for new adventures. Why is it that GRU, GIG and EZE are always so expensive out of LAX? For half the price you can travel to BKK, FCO just about anywhere heading east out of LAX.
We fell in love with CDMX and plan on returning soon. Brasil has always been on our radar as well.
We're just bummed that getting to SA is so much more expensive.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
I don't mean to hijack the thread so I apologize in advance. My wife and I are always looking for new adventures. Why is it that GRU, GIG and EZE are always so expensive out of LAX? For half the price you can travel to BKK, FCO just about anywhere heading east out of LAX.
We fell in love with CDMX and plan on returning soon. Brasil has always been on our radar as well.
This has been the case for quite a while. For a while in the early 90's you could get very decent fares connecting in Miami and flying Lloyd Aereo Boliviano, but MIA-EZE involved a lot of stops, and they flew 727s. There was no codesharing, though, so you needed a separate LAX-MIA ticket, but there were plenty of options there.
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
Competition and demand . Same reason GFK-MSP-SAT RT during college cost me twice what booking GFK-MSP-LAX-MSP-SAT RT would.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Tragic. But I'm sure you know that this also happens in American cities. I understand that there are serious drug war related problems in Mexico, but it's not everywhere. We felt extremely safe in CDMX.

Check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...avel&smtyp=cur
I think it's additionally important to note that not just anecdotally, but statistically, CDMX is very safe. For example, the per-capita homicide rate is 3x higher in Chicago than in Mexico City. (As if you needed more reasons not to connect in ORD.)

Tragedies can happen everywhere, but I an not at all afraid of visiting and exploring Mexico City. The much-publicized drug violence is limited largely to a few border areas and is not reflective of the country as a whole, and the capital is largely unaffected.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by BenA
Tragedies can happen everywhere, but I an not at all afraid of visiting and exploring Mexico City. The much-publicized drug violence is limited largely to a few border areas and is not reflective of the country as a whole, and the capital is largely unaffected.
My greatest fear visiting Mexico is that I might need larger pants when I return home. Even the border areas are quite safe unless you seek vice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.