Wiki Posts
Search

LGA Centurion Lounge to Delta gates...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
LGA Centurion Lounge to Delta gates...

I recently got an AMEX platinum and want to check out the centurion lounge in LGA the first time tomorrow. How much time do I need to get from the lounge back to Terminal C and through security? I have Pre and my flight leaves around 8 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:31 pm

I would allow a half-hour from the lounge to the terminal entrance. The shuttle bus may come in 5 minutes and only take 5 minutes, or it may come in 15 and take 15 -- not worth the risk.

You can also walk it in about 25 minutes with all the detours (at least as of a couple months ago).

Seth
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
I would allow a half-hour from the lounge to the terminal entrance. The shuttle bus may come in 5 minutes and only take 5 minutes, or it may come in 15 and take 15 -- not worth the risk.

You can also walk it in about 25 minutes with all the detours (at least as of a couple months ago).

Seth
Thank you!!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
As of last week they said there was no way to walk it (I assume due to construction)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
No lounge is worth the aggravation of getting to terminal C, especially considering there is a perfectly cromulent skyclub in C that your platinum card will get you into.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I recently got an AMEX platinum and want to check out the centurion lounge in LGA the first time tomorrow. How much time do I need to get from the lounge back to Terminal C and through security? I have Pre and my flight leaves around 8 PM.
Do not do this. It is not worth it right now. Just go to the SkyClub. There is no way to walk between the terminals right now, at least there wasn't the last few times I was there in the last couple months. Even if there was, it isn't a direct walk. The construction is an absolute disaster zone and the shuttle buses may or may not be on time and may or may not take half an hour to get you over there. Last time I was at LGA I was meeting family arriving at B after I arrived at D, it took 45 minutes to get to B arriving around 4pm.

B to C should be much quicker, when we did the reverse departing LGA and I dropped family at B before leaving from C, it took about 20 minutes to get from B to C. Around 3pm. In my opinion, that Centurion is just not worth the effort right now. I'd argue that there are very few airport lounges in the world worth that effort, but I'd also argue there are very few airports as incompetently designed as LGA. If you do want to do this and have enough time to enjoy it, I'd plan to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours early and then plan at least half an hour to get from the lounge to C. If it goes fast, you can always go to the SkyClub for a bit before your flight and grab another drink.
pvn likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Do not do this. It is not worth it right now. Just go to the SkyClub. There is no way to walk between the terminals right now, at least there wasn't the last few times I was there in the last couple months. Even if there was, it isn't a direct walk. The construction is an absolute disaster zone and the shuttle buses may or may not be on time and may or may not take half an hour to get you over there. Last time I was at LGA I was meeting family arriving at B after I arrived at D, it took 45 minutes to get to B arriving around 4pm.

B to C should be much quicker, when we did the reverse departing LGA and I dropped family at B before leaving from C, it took about 20 minutes to get from B to C. Around 3pm. In my opinion, that Centurion is just not worth the effort right now. I'd argue that there are very few airport lounges in the world worth that effort, but I'd also argue there are very few airports as incompetently designed as LGA. If you do want to do this and have enough time to enjoy it, I'd plan to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours early and then plan at least half an hour to get from the lounge to C. If it goes fast, you can always go to the SkyClub for a bit before your flight and grab another drink.
Actually B to C can be a problem. Sometimes the traffic is fine, sometimes the traffic is a disaster. Going into the C departures area is often backed up. I haven't been to the Centurion lounge at LGA but I have been to one at another airport and I can't imagine it has anything to offer that would make it worth dealing with the LGA shuttle buses during the construction.
pvn likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

This isn’t really a question that can be answered with any real accuracy. Every day is a new day at Lga. Traffic patterns are constantly changing. There aren’t a ton of passengers that connect thru Lga with a change in carrier so getting passengers between terminals isn’t high priority. The start of construction at terminal. C has only added to the nightmare making getting into terminal c a challenge getting into terminal b has long been a challenge and getting between the two is an ever changing obstacle course.

There are three skyclubs clubs in terminals c and d. You can walk between them. I would go that route
ijgordon and cmx like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
As others have said, it is SO not worth the aggravation. Your Platinum Amex with your Delta boarding pass will get you into the Sky Clubs and they are only marginally a step down from the Centurion Lounges. In fact, IMHO, if one wants to actually do work in a club, the Sky Clubs are better than the Centurion Lounges.

But to answer your original question, if I had an 8 PM flight on Delta from LGA and was in the Centurion Lounge, even if I was Pre-Check, I would leave the lounge no later than 6.15.
SuperG1955 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Agree with comments above. I was in your shoes a few months ago and did the same thing. The Centurion had better food than the average SC, but was packed and definitely not worth the hassle of getting there and back.
DawgmanOH likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, this was much easier when AA was still operating out of the ex-US gates in terminal C, and running an airside shuttle from the Central terminal. I think you could usually "sneak" your way on it even if you weren't flying AA.

But definitely +3 or +4 on the recommendation against this now. Food and beverage is definitely better in the Centurion lounge, but not worth the hassle IMO.
If you *did* still insist on going, you could consider taking the NYCT bus (e.g., M60/Q70) which goes from terminal B to D to C and may run more frequently than the airport shuttle, but you'll need to swipe a Metrocard (or $2.75 in coins...)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've done this routinely on the weekends when traveling with a companion.

The reason why I did it was because the Skyclub charges an obscene (imo) $29 guest fee wheras the centurion lets you bring in +2 for free.

On a Sunday morning, it was no problem. I usually had a flight departing at 2:00 and got to the CL around 10, grabbed lunch and left the CL by 12:30 and it hardly ever took more than 10 minutes. Made the trip feel a lot more relaxed since it was on the weekend and didn't mind getting to LGA early. However if you're traveling during rush hour or traveling solo, I would stick with the Skyclub.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I think the writing is on the wall, but you should not bother doing this. Centurion lounges are a small step above, but not worth the traffic. On a bad traffic day, it could take an hour and on a good one, ten minutes. So unpredictable, unless you get some realtime data the day you are traveling, it's not worth the chance of being delayed.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, I ended up getting to LGA around 545. I went to the Centurion lounge because my flight was delayed to 920. Traffic was bad and I left the lounge around 730 and made it back to C by 820. Plenty of time to make it through security and even duck in the Skyclub for comparison. Centurion Lounge food is definitely better and a nicer vibe; a shame it’s not more convenient.
RumPatrol and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Traffic was bad and I left the lounge around 730 and made it back to C by 820.
Yikes, 50 minutes from B to C? At least thanks for the data point!
I suppose if you do have a long delay you find out about en route, it could make sense, but it could also be risky, if they move the departure time back up and you're all the way in the other terminal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.