Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for a New DM Benefit ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Does it bother anyone else when people put their luggage length wise when it clearly fits wheels in first?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

That wouldn't happen in the special DM overheads would it?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
It would never be policed/enforced...

Recently watched a guy come on board with two exceedingly large "carry on" bags. He stops at 1C, puts one in the overhead, then stops at the first section of C+, spends 30+ seconds stuffing his massive duffle bag into that bin, then proceeds to the back of the plane.

As others have mentioned, FA's aren't interested in policing another policy, when a major portion of the pax can't figure out "wheels or handle out", or the biz travlrs putting the tiniest of bag laid down flat taking up half the bin (even in FC), etc...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I thought DM's got an FO to schlep their bags around and have them ready at the boarding door upon arrival. Is that no longer a benefit? I make DM on my next flight and was just about to start a new thread on whether I could request arrival FO-schlepper service while in-air.
thank god I just made GM!!
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by gitismatt
thank god I just made GM!!
Dodged a bullet there, former-FO! Of course, since there will be a lot less DMs next year, that should free up some FOs for PM work.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Random question: how many people would think this is a good idea?

instead of offering PREM boarding for DM they have 2 or 3 overhead bins closed and reserved only for DM at the front of the plane (they know how many will be on board so they can allocate the right amount) so that DMs can board last and still have a spot for your bag?

i for one would love that as like most of us here probably spend enough time in planes and minimizing even 20-30 minutes a flight not being in a plane would make a big difference.

Is is it feasible? Maybe yes maybe no but more curious if people think this would be a good benefit?
As someone who normally pays to sit up front, if the reserved DM bins "at the front of the plane" took away from FC passenger bins, I wouldn't like it.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
No.

(Since you chastise people for elaborating on their answers, I will refrain. )
Another thumbs down for me as well. (No further elaboration either. Just noting my vote.)
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
<deleted>
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So never asked if it was feasible or for suggestions on how I can board last and still not worry about putting my bag overhead.

I sinply asked originally whether People would like an idea like this?
But from the OP:
Is is it feasible?
???

I do think people would enjoy the ability to board later and spend more time in the lounge, but the logistics are pretty gnarly and may cause more trade offs than improvements. I do think before we get too attached to an idea in this area, it’s worth understanding what the pros and cons are. For example, as you alluded to, if it’s possible to show up late and not have space for your bag because the flight is elite heavy, that’s worse than not having the benefit at all for many folks.

Blue sky discussions without examining the practicalities aren’t going to help advocate for a new benefit... and I always want as many new benefits as we can get, so asking effectively is pretty important in my book.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BHammy

Recently watched a guy come on board with two exceedingly large "carry on" bags. He stops at 1C, puts one in the overhead, then stops at the first section of C+, spends 30+ seconds stuffing his massive duffle bag into that bin, then proceeds to the back of the plane.

As others have mentioned, FA's aren't interested in policing another policy, when a major portion of the pax can't figure out "wheels or handle out", or the biz travlrs putting the tiniest of bag laid down flat taking up half the bin (even in FC), etc...
UUUuughhhhh, that guy is the worst. Not only is he bringing two OHB bags, but he's not putting them in his class of service. I get (possibly irrationally?) annoyed at someone who drops a bag at the first available spot, even when in economy, then continues to their seat. If you're in row 20, don't put your bag in row 15, because the latter is going to have a much harder time going upstream for theirs. It's just inconsideration.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by BHammy

I’ve seen this happen a few times, and it’s always a DM boarding PREM but sitting in back.

Always.

Also probably why the FAs never say anything.
pvn and fpmurphy like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:51 pm

If there was a way to do it without the human element it would be really cool. As many has said the FA's aren't interested. Some of that is they are busy, others it's highly likely that if FA's were checking everyone putting their stuff into the DM bins, it's going to create some type of full scale blow up at least once a week. Either from a DM DYKWIA who feels they are too important or someone else who isn't a DM but feels they deserve it.

I think many people forget the human element when it comes to rule enforcement, and that most people are going to avoid potential conflict even it it means others get to break rules.
fpmurphy and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I realize there are physical/mechanical constraints with how this could be done, esp with how most gates are set up (at least in the US), but if we're considering wonky ideas, how about boarding all planes from the rear and deplaning from the front?

Premium cabins can board first and not get bothered with everyone shuffling past them for 20 mins. Rest of the plane boards and if the OHB at their row is full, they go further forward to find a spot, thus not having to swim upstream when deplaning.

This will of course never happen, so I'm not really worried about all the details around this suggestion that would make it not work in the first place.
TerryK and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
how about if they just don't sell tickets to anyone other than DMs? then y'all wouldn't have to see any of those annoying peons!
gooselee and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
Seems like a fantastic idea, although DM already gets C+ at booking and C+ (in theory) has reserved OHB space.
Not always. No C+ available on the A350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.