Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger dies on DTW-PVG flight Monday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond

Didn’t see this mentioned here.
https://amp.freep.com/amp/1575178002

DL 583 returned to DTW for a medical emergency Monday night and a passenger was removed (pronounced dead).

Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold

It sort of surprised me that they went back to DTW, but I guess it makes sense.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I can't believe this doesn't make news more often. At the numbers that fly Delta (and other airlines) every day, it has to happen from time to time.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by puck021

It sort of surprised me that they went back to DTW, but I guess it makes sense.
Makes sense from a crew perspective. Although not due why didn't just continue to PVG. He had already passed away and they were 1/4 way there.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Makes sense from a crew perspective. Although not due why didn't just continue to PVG. He had already passed away and they were 1/4 way there.
I'd imagine because the PR of Delta flying a plane with a dead body in it for 10 hours isn't ideal. The fact that dead passengers are carried in the cargo hold regularly doesn't matter.
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by ethernal; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
I'd imagine because the PR of Delta flying a plane with a dead body in it for 10 hours isn't ideal. The fact that dead passengers are carried in the cargo hold regularly doesn't matter.
Time to resurrect the Singapore Air "corpse cupboard"?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...try.travelnews
ethernal and trooper like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1/4 is less than 1/2. It isn't ideal for passengers surrounding the deceased to accompany him/her for 10 hours. It can also be an issue to clear CIQ at PVG for him/her.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I certainly don't know the specifics of this case but I CAN tell you that two years ago I was on a flight from DTW-PVG as well and there was a medical/safety issue onboard. We were about 4 hrs PAST ANC and the decision was made to return to ANC. Apparently a Chinese national had developed some kind of diabetic episode and started assaulting his wife and flight personnel. A call was made for anyone onboard w/ either insulin or (Xanax, I think) and the person was restrained. We were told subsequently that it was better for DL to return to ANC for several reasons: re-supplying the plane, working w/ US law enforcement and Customs was preferable, and ease of negotiating hotel rooms in ANC. I know some of that may not make sense but that's what we were told and maybe one or more of those factors were in play here. Sorry for the family's loss..
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:38 am

I wonder if this is the reason DL 88 on Oct 10 was canceled.

RIP to the deceased, very sad to hear.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Time to resurrect the Singapore Air "corpse cupboard"?
Hey now.
strickerj, Kiara, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I wonder if this is the reason DL 88 on Oct 10 was canceled.

RIP to the deceased, very sad to hear.
DL88 rescheduled to DL9857 on Oct 11 at 0915. Can't have two DL88 on same day.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Skyteam
That was one long return trip to drop someone off.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I don't know what airports exist up there, but they may have started heading for the nearest diversion airport with that veer back towards lake Huron. Then the pax died so they headed back to DTW having gone too far out of the way to make PVG a stretch.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Based on the flight route map, I speculate they might have originally planned to divert to Winnipeg, MB for medical services before the passenger was pronounced dead and they changed destination to DTW.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by indufan
I can't believe this doesn't make news more often. At the numbers that fly Delta (and other airlines) every day, it has to happen from time to time.
My mother was on a KL flight where someone had a medical emergency and was pronounced dead. They did an initial diversion, then continued on to SFO (from AMS) as passenger was from US and well, was dead anyway. No idea where they put the body.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.