Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger dies on DTW-PVG flight Monday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger dies on DTW-PVG flight Monday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I think it's more than just fellow passenger concern that's on DL's mind. Handling a deceased body entry into and in a foreign country and try to repatriate it back to the US can be a lot of problems.

RIP - I hope he/she was in Delta One Suite...it's a more elegant way to go...

In any case, I think that was the first death in the new A350... Speaking of which, those A350s are partially marked by the crew to serve only Chinese routes. I have been on PVG A350 flights several times, and the crew has cover the lavatory door with a hand-written duct-tape, with the word "push" in Chinese It's the same ugly hand-writing every time, so I think it's quasi-permanent on those aircraft. On the old LAX-PVG B777, they had the same and they even had a hand-written duck-tape in the lav on the flush button...
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by wlau; Oct 10, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Based on the flight route map, I speculate they might have originally planned to divert to Winnipeg, MB for medical services before the passenger was pronounced dead and they changed destination to DTW.
This would make sense. Winnipeg really was the closest place to land. Once he was pronounced onboard it would make more sense to continue onto DTW for crew purposes, plus reprovisioningof meals. Curious if they got the prearrival (breakfast) meal after departure and the main meal (dinner) prior to arrival.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I wonder whether it would have made any difference at to whether the flight would have continued to PVG, if the deceased person was a Chinese citizen and therefore the family would naturally have preferred the body arriving at PVG vs going back to DTW? Probably not, but I'm curious what others think.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:29 pm

On my flight on China Eastern from PVG to LAX my seatmate in business class as pronounced dead due to heart attack midway. Onboard doctor and nurse attempted to revive, but could not. He was covered with blanket and we flew 6 more hours to LAX. Flight continued and flight attendants came around with cocktails.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jottman2
On my flight on China Eastern from PVG to LAX my seatmate in business class as pronounced dead due to heart attack midway. Onboard doctor and nurse attempted to revive, but could not. He was covered with blanket and we flew 6 more hours to LAX. Flight continued and flight attendants came around with cocktails.
Wow. 6 hours is a long time. Almost like Weekend With Bernie. That would sort of freak me out.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by audidudi
I wonder whether it would have made any difference at to whether the flight would have continued to PVG, if the deceased person was a Chinese citizen and therefore the family would naturally have preferred the body arriving at PVG vs going back to DTW? Probably not, but I'm curious what others think.
I don't know that the family's (suspected) wishes would have had much pull, but easier incoming Customs procedures for Delta might have been relevant.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Wow! I don't know if I can sit for 6hrs next to a dead person (knowing they were dead) unless it was some suite type seating. I would definitely ask to be moved. If J was full, I would probably go sit where ever else there was a seat. Either that or I would need a whole bottle of something very strong to myself.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Did they offer him a stiff shot of something.....
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can easily rationalize the decision to return to the USA (instead of Canada or continuing to China) but I wonder why they didn't divert to MSP instead of back to DTW. From the flight path, MSP looks slightly closer. The also could have gone to SEA in order to land in the USA but be closer to their destination. ANC might have been a possibility too, but a DL hub would obviously be easier. I'm assuming that ANC can handle A350 diversions if necessary, although hotel space would be more limited there and other logistics such as fresh catering could be harder too.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can easily rationalize the decision to return to the USA (instead of Canada or continuing to China) but I wonder why they didn't divert to MSP instead of back to DTW. From the flight path, MSP looks slightly closer. The also could have gone to SEA in order to land in the USA but be closer to their destination. ANC might have been a possibility too, but a DL hub would obviously be easier. I'm assuming that ANC can handle A350 diversions if necessary, although hotel space would be more limited there and other logistics such as fresh catering could be harder too.
With the pilots and cabin crew needing to be replaced due to timing out, DTW was obviously the best choice to have a replacement crew in place ready for the resumption of the flight.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
With the pilots and cabin crew needing to be replaced due to timing out, DTW was obviously the best choice to have a replacement crew in place ready for the resumption of the flight.
The delayed Take off till 0830 next morning means likely same crew operated.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Pilots would be based at DTW, but DL would have qualified FAs including pursers at any major hub. FAs are trained to handle any aircraft type in the fleet, although sometimes D1 service seems more professional when the crew have lots of experience with the particular galley setup and even anything special about catering for the route. It can also help when the purser is familiar with the airport (lounge locations etc.) and immigration/customs procedures at the destination, but many crew are amazingly clueless about lounges operated by their own airline.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Pilots would be based at DTW, but DL would have qualified FAs including pursers at any major hub. FAs are trained to handle any aircraft type in the fleet, although sometimes D1 service seems more professional when the crew have lots of experience with the particular galley setup and even anything special about catering for the route. It can also help when the purser is familiar with the airport (lounge locations etc.) and immigration/customs procedures at the destination, but many crew are amazingly clueless about lounges operated by their own airline.
FA just like pilots must be trained AND current to operate plane type. FA aren't trained on all types. However even for those that happen to be, not all would meet currency requirements.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
FA just like pilots must be trained AND current to operate plane type. FA aren't trained on all types. However even for those that happen to be, not all would meet currency requirements.
Really? I've always been told that DL trains all of their (mainline) FAs on all of their (mainline) aircraft types, although as I think about this with the A350 being a new aircraft type, it could be the case that someone who hasn't yet gone in for their annual recertification since it was introduced by DL might not be A350 qualified. [I know that some other carriers, especially foreign ones, have different policies on this.]
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
This. And even more important is customer convenience. Presumably a decent portion of that flight is from the DTW area (at least more than from any other single area). Dumping them off in another city (that doesn't have flights to PVG) to save a few minutes of flying isn't good CS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.