Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Choice Benefit clarification for earning DM in Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold

Hi Folks! I am on track to reach the $250k Delta Amex MQD waiver threshold for 2018 by EOY and therefore become a diamond for 2019 (I already have the requisite MQM). However, I am starting to think it might be better to not hit the $250k MQD threshold in 2018 and instead in Jan 2019, spend the 250k to get the MQD waiver and with rollover MQM, qualify for Diamond by Jan 31st 2019. My questions are

1) I assume in this case I would get Diamond for 2 years until Jan 2021 for qualifying in Jan 2019. Is that correct?
2) If I select choice benefits such as gifting GM or skyclub membership, will these also be for two years until Jan 2021?
3) Similar question with Clear, will I get to keep this until Jan 2021?
4) If my assumptions are incorrect, what am I missing?

Appreciate if anyone can clarify!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The MQD waiver is per calendar year. One Jan1 it resets to zero. However otherwise you're correct. What you earn in 2019 is 2020 status. Thus you'll get DM for 2020 plus immediate DM for rest of 2019. Note you will not get two sets of choice benefits, (ie one in 2019, and one in 2020) instead just the one set for 2020. You will be able to select the 2020 benefits in 2019. GM gifting/SC membership will run til Jan 31, 2021 regardless of when selected
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by syd999
Hi Folks! I am on track to reach the $250k Delta Amex MQD waiver threshold for 2018 by EOY and therefore become a diamond for 2019 (I already have the requisite MQM). However, I am starting to think it might be better to not hit the $250k MQD threshold in 2018 and instead in Jan 2019, spend the 250k to get the MQD waiver and with rollover MQM, qualify for Diamond by Jan 31st 2019. My questions are
Excess MQMs rollover, Amex spending does not. As of January 1, you would be credited with $0 spend toward the Amex waiver, and whatever MQMs you finish the year with, over and above 75k.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And MQM earning is also based on the calendar (not program year) and resets to zero on Jan 1. Any MQM rollover is calculated and added about a week into the new year. They do regular sweeps after this time for any later posting flights or other MQM activity from prior year. Delaying the selection of MQM Boosts from Amex cards does not change the year they post to. MQM Boosts will always count towards the year they were earned (not selected) and will be backdated to 12/31 of the prior year if they are from prior year spend. This could potentially result in adjusting your status level and MQM rollover amount.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The MQD waiver is per calendar year. One Jan1 it resets to zero. However otherwise you're correct. What you earn in 2019 is 2020 status. Thus you'll get DM for 2020 plus immediate DM for rest of 2019. Note you will not get two sets of choice benefits, (ie one in 2019, and one in 2020) instead just the one set for 2020. You will be able to select the 2020 benefits in 2019. GM gifting/SC membership will run til Jan 31, 2021 regardless of when selected
Thanks flyerco! That was my expectation as well around spending not rolling over. I just have catch up taxes for Q4 I need to make in Q1 and will be using my credit card for that to hit the MQD waiver.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Wait... you hit $250K spending on your card and you still fly commercial?!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
My confusion was that it sounded like OP would be able to spend $250K all in January of next year and hit Diamond that month! But now it seems my agape mouth was not warranted...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wlau
Wait... you hit $250K spending on your card and you still fly commercial?!
It's taxes on investment gains from the bull market we've had for nearly a decade. It's a one off and not as impressive as it seems.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:18 am

Leaving aside taxes on $1.6MM of capital gains, if you’re going to pay credit card extra fees on $250k, that’s $4675 of extra spending for 250k Skymiles (aka $2500) and Diamond status. I love my Diamond, but I’m not sure that’s a deal worth taking if you weren’t already going to (re)qualify anyway...
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Leaving aside taxes on $1.6MM of capital gains, if you’re going to pay credit card extra fees on $250k, that’s $4675 of extra spending for 250k Skymiles (aka $2500) and Diamond status. I love my Diamond, but I’m not sure that’s a deal worth taking if you weren’t already going to (re)qualify anyway...
From a mileage perspective I do >150 MQM/year but I am frugal with my flight prices (and not likely to hit $15k MQD and I would benefit from the status). I did the math for my situation and it was worth it for me:
* GUCs alone are worth $5k each since I would pay for business class on long flights. (Total = $10k)
* Two years of Skyclub: $1000
* 25k Choice benefit: $250
* 250k skymiles: $2500
* 25% incremental upgrades (estimated) on 30 domestic flights/year * 2 years @ $100/upgrade = $1500
* Clear for two years = $160
* incremental 2 miles/MQD @ 7500 MQD/year= 15000 miles = $150
* other benefits: premium boarding, VIP line, better service.

Total benefit: ~$15.5k
Total Cost: $ 4675
Net Benefit: ~ $11k

Last edited by syd999; Oct 10, 2018 at 11:59 am Reason: added more info
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
With that much spending it could be worth thinking about how best to spread it among multiple Delta cards, if you aren't already ... in theory it is possible to have both the personal and business Platinum and Reserve Amexes, and you could hit the $50K (Platinum)/$60K (Reserve) levels on each card, giving you a total of 100K extra miles and MQMs. Which certainly sweetens the pain of paying the fees for all that tax spend, though there are also some big annual fees that come along with that plan.

But with the 100K bonus MQMs, you very well might be able to qualify for DM both this year and next, which gets you an extra set of choice benefits, or otherwise build up a rollover balance to be of use in the future.

Qualifying for the $250K waiver is based on combined spend across all Delta cards, not spend on any one individual card.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriff
With that much spending it could be worth thinking about how best to spread it among multiple Delta cards, if you aren't already ... in theory it is possible to have both the personal and business Platinum and Reserve Amexes, and you could hit the $50K (Platinum)/$60K (Reserve) levels on each card, giving you a total of 100K extra miles and MQMs. Which certainly sweetens the pain of paying the fees for all that tax spend, though there are also some big annual fees that come along with that plan.

But with the 100K bonus MQMs, you very well might be able to qualify for DM both this year and next, which gets you an extra set of choice benefits, or otherwise build up a rollover balance to be of use in the future.

Qualifying for the $250K waiver is based on combined spend across all Delta cards, not spend on any one individual card.
I wish i could sign up for the business card but I can't since I don't own/run a business. I do plan to split the spending between the Amex plat and reserve cards for some extra MQM.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just to clarify, you plan to roll over and/or earn 125k MQM all within January?

You can get a business card for even the smallest of home-based businesses.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
$250K spend isn’t much for small business owners like myself. I run everything through my 4 DLAX cards and hit $250K in Q1.

I’m a minuscule small-fry nobody, and if I can put >$1m annually in routine AX spend on my cards,
prettymuch anyone can.

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Just to clarify, you plan to roll over and/or earn 125k MQM all within January?

You can get a business card for even the smallest of home-based businesses.
i already have the MQM from rollover. I have zero dollars of business income since i don’t have a business of any sort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.