Wiki Posts
Search

PHL to VCE-any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
PHL to VCE-any suggestions?

Not seeing good options, I'm willing to do short jump stateside or even ground transport, but still not coming up with anything very attractive on delta.

What am I missing? Looking at January if the trip comes through.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
You will have to double hop no matter what. DL does not fly to Venice non-stop from the US except as a summer seasonal from JFK and ATL. Unfortunately KLM, AF, and Alitalia do not fly non-stop out of PHL due to OneWorld's dominance there.

You will need to go to NYC or DC if you want a one stop (you would need to fly out of NYC to be on DL metal to Europe).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd probably have to double-connect since PHL is a bit of a AA fortress hub, CDG/AMS aren't served by AF/KL. (I think DL actually used to fly PHL-CDG but I think they got creamed by AA). Or you can drive to JFK.
AA flies nonstop PHL-VCE but only seasonally (~May-October).
That said, even flying AA/Oneworld will be difficult because BA only flies to VCE from Gatwick so you'd have to change airports.

So maybe something like PHL-BOS-CDG-VCE is actually your best bet.

Or you can do PHL-FCO on AA and then take the train.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

What DL-related suggestions are you looking for? Checking a random Tuesday in January, you're looking at 2 stops if you want to fly DL. No one here can change that.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Surprised no ATL to VCE?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danspartan
Surprised no ATL to VCE?
In January???
dcadwell likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by danspartan
Surprised no ATL to VCE?
As I mentioned it's a summer seasonal.. not sure why you are surprised.

You're way better off flying AA given its dominance there. You may also try flying Lufthansa - I know they have a year round non-stop from PHL (to FRA).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
You may also try flying Lufthansa - I know they have a year round non-stop from PHL (to FRA).
Seems like that may not operate Daily, it looks like no Tues/Thurs in mid-January. But that's certainly better than the LHR-LGW shuffle on AA/BA if the schedule works.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you're comfortable with a train to NYC, try Delta miles for Air France, KLM or Alitalia JFK-xxx-Venice. As mentioned above, there's no way to fly PHL-VCE on Delta partners in January in less than three segments. You may find that preferable to redeeming AA miles on BA with the surcharges that involves.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
JFK-MXP on Alitalia with trains on either end?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
As I mentioned it's a summer seasonal.. not sure why you are surprised.

You're way better off flying AA given its dominance there. You may also try flying Lufthansa - I know they have a year round non-stop from PHL (to FRA).
I'm not a seasoned overseas traveller. I've pretty much only gone out of MSP on the MSP-AMS flight but now I live in Philly, hence the naivety. So I'm just realizing that VCE is primarily a tourist airport. Shoot me.

Train to JFK wouldn't suck.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're comfortable with a train to NYC, try Delta miles for Air France, KLM or Alitalia JFK-xxx-Venice. As mentioned above, there's no way to fly PHL-VCE on Delta partners in January in less than three segments. You may find that preferable to redeeming AA miles on BA with the surcharges that involves.
I fly LAX/VCE every year in November. Although I loathe CDG, it does offer several daily flights to VCE. Last year I decided to go AA/BA via LHR and the surcharges and long layover convinced me that the CDG connection made more sense.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
As another option, if you can get to Milan, trains to Venice are fast and it would be relatively straight-forward.

In your position I would probably go by train to NYC and then one-stop to VCE on your alliance of choice.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Fares out of EWR are pretty cheap on Swiss (Expedia showing under $500 in Jan.). People here are responding as if you wanted to redeem Skymiles for this trip, but you didn't actually say that. EWR is a lot closer than JFK, and you can save much $$$ over anything out of PHL.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Fares out of EWR are pretty cheap on Swiss (Expedia showing under $500 in Jan.). People here are responding as if you wanted to redeem Skymiles for this trip, but you didn't actually say that. EWR is a lot closer than JFK, and you can save much $$$ over anything out of PHL.
and the train options from Philly to Newark are much more convenient without having to transit through manhattan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.