Search

$50 "Agency Fee"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
$50 "Agency Fee"

So, I, like many of you, have to book through a corporate travel agency. Historically, I do my research, pick my flights, wait for the ticket to be issued, and then call Delta. Typically, I get because you called in the 24 hour window we will waive the "change/agency" fee or you're a Diamond 3.5 million miler, we will waive that. Well, today, following my usual steps of making sure the upgrade fee to an "A" fare is less than what they are quoting in the app for a seat upgrade, I got that it was the same charge. I said "book it". He said the was $XX, the same as the app. Never mentioned a change fee, or fee because the ticket was issued by an agency, but when I get the AMEX charge, it is $XX + $50 service charge.

Had to call to the charge reversed. But, my lesson is to ASK to make sure what they are actually charging my card. In every situation prior, the agent was very clear about having to charge the fee or waive the fee. Not today. It just got added. Perhaps it was a new agent or someone who just didn't care, but watch what you are quoted and what you are charged.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
booked my Thurs night SEA-BWI ticket thru Concur last week (K, with corporate discount); called the PM line a couple hours after I got the email receipt to change to the nonstop SEA-IAD in A ... got a rather snippy agent who initially processed the request to upgrade my existing flights to F for $875 or thereabouts

I explained again that I wanted the Dulles flight; after about five minutes of typing, she said it would be ~$280 which included the $50 agency takeover fee ... I didn’t bother arguing
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Out of curiosity; you both are booking in economy (paid by employer) and then paying out of pocket to get into a discounted First?
Never thought of that for my economy booked tickets tbh, so just clarifying.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my employer doesn’t allow domestic F for the masses without justification (e.g., medical)

more importantly, I have to have the initial booking in coach to get the “Lowest Fare Obtained” acknowledgement on the receipt

while they’ll rebook me into discounted F at no cost if I call or email within 24 hrs, they’ll charge it to the company AmEx ... I lose the spend on my own card, and I have to separate it out on the expense report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.