Is BOS-LAX Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Is BOS-LAX Delta One?

See the following dummy booking.

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think your screenshot answers the question right?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes. Note if there's multiple frequencies a day that not all may be D1. However this was a route they added D1 to
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. Note if there's multiple frequencies a day that not all may be D1. However this was a route they added D1 to
Thanks. I knew that BOS-SFO D1 was going/gone, but I didn't realize that BOS-LAX D1 was added so quickly. Oh well, I was hoping for lie-flat at a reasonable price (when they still sold it as F) but looks like it is now a full-fledged D1.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can definitely get good prices if you can catch when they have Z inventory available... but it is more difficult to find it compared to low fares on the normal F flights.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
Thanks. I knew that BOS-SFO D1 was going/gone, but I didn't realize that BOS-LAX D1 was added so quickly. Oh well, I was hoping for lie-flat at a reasonable price (when they still sold it as F) but looks like it is now a full-fledged D1.
It has had D1 service for awhile, but it is not in fact a "full-fledged" D1 route (like JFK-LAX/SFO) in the sense that not all flights are guaranteed to be D1 --

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-ser...mestic-markets

As noted in the press release above, only 2 out of 3 of the BOS-LAX flights are D1, so there is also a non-D1 non-stop (flights 1338 and 2532 which operate on a 737). The FC flight is generally considerably cheaper than the 2 D1 flights and you are not allowed to SDC from the FC flight to a D1 flight.
radiowell likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 24, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Between the screen shot above, and then looking at seat map, any answer here is secondary.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
It has had D1 service for awhile, but it is not in fact a "full-fledged" D1 route (like JFK-LAX/SFO) in the sense that not all flights are guaranteed to be D1 --

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-ser...mestic-markets

As noted in the press release above, only 2 out of 3 of the BOS-LAX flights are D1, so there is also a non-D1 non-stop (flights 1338 and 2532 which operate on a 737). The FC flight is generally considerably cheaper than the 2 D1 flights and you are not allowed to SDC from the FC flight to a D1 flight.
Ah, got it. Thank you for the detailed explanation. So this is a "partial" rollout in the sense that 2 out of 3 are D1. I guess people are (I am) wondering when/if this becomes full rollout with all D1 services BOS/LAX. I am somewhat leery of partial rollouts like this, for the possible equipment swaps and such.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Ah, got it. Thank you for the detailed explanation. So this is a "partial" rollout in the sense that 2 out of 3 are D1. I guess people are (I am) wondering when/if this becomes full rollout with all D1 services BOS/LAX. I am somewhat leery of partial rollouts like this, for the possible equipment swaps and such.
Even if there is a swap - albeit I think Delta does the least swaps of the big 3 - if you have a D1 fare you can always ask for rerouting BOS-JFK-LAX if you wanna stay lie flat
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not sure what partial means here. This isn't a partial rollout. There's no intention to upgrade the other nonstops.

DL offers full D1 on the flights marketed as D1. However due to demand doesn't offer D1 on all of the nonstops. The ones marketed as D1, will have lay flat 757s. Same thing on JFK/SEA. Only 1 (sometimes 2) flight a day is D1. There's not demand for D1 on all the nonstop flights, thus it's only offered on one of them.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Even if there is a swap - albeit I think Delta does the least swaps of the big 3 - if you have a D1 fare you can always ask for rerouting BOS-JFK-LAX if you wanna stay lie flat
You are right. DL is pretty good about sticking with the intended aircraft, as compared to others.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not sure what partial means here. This isn't a partial rollout. There's no intention to upgrade the other nonstops.

DL offers full D1 on the flights marketed as D1. However due to demand doesn't offer D1 on all of the nonstops. The ones marketed as D1, will have lay flat 757s. Same thing on JFK/SEA. Only 1 (sometimes 2) flight a day is D1. There's not demand for D1 on all the nonstop flights, thus it's only offered on one of them.
I was wondering because UA will fly lie-flats on all BOS-LAX flights from late October to February, and there's a rumbling that UA will eventually convert BOS-LAX to p.s.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Ooh $1,200 bucks, how Delta expects people to pay 1.5-2x the price of mint is beyond me. Good luck to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.