Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need to catch a cruise, would you fly Delta or B6 from Boston to Fort Lauderdale?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to catch a cruise, would you fly Delta or B6 from Boston to Fort Lauderdale?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond

This is an honest question. I need to fly to Fort Lauderdale on 12/20. I have a cruise to catch the next day (12/21). However, I can't leave Boston until after 5pm on 12/20. I can either fly Delta, BOS-ATL-FLL, or JetBlue nonstop. I have elite status with Delta and no status with JetBlue. I am worried about delays in Atlanta but I like the free bag and miles I would earn with Delta. Assuming the price is comparable, who would you fly?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I'd do the non stop. But I have no status with either. So, I usually don't check my bag at the ticket counter. I just wait until they make that announcement that they have an extremely full flight and are asking for volunteers to check their bags for free.

Of course, this assumes a bag that would still fit in the overhead and the contents would be compliant with TSA.

Even if I had to pay for checking the bag, the extra piece of mind of a non stop is worth the cost of the luggage check to me. Especially before a cruise, or any event where my delay would incur big costs.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would book Delta. In the event of IRROPS, DL will protect you by rebooking on AA or UA if necessary; B6 won't. If B6 can't get you where you need to go in time, they will happily refund your money, and leave you to buy a last-minute ticket on another carrier. This very thing happened to me this past April, when I was trying to fly BUF-FLL to catch a cruise: B6 cancelled all flights out of BUF for two days due to a forecasted ice storm. They happily refunded my $68 fare, and let me buy a walk-up ticket on Southwest (which was still flying out of BUF) for $265!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

I would do the nonstop. More chance of a problem with winter weather having to connect if your outbound BOS flight is delayed and you misconnect. On the other hand in an IRROPS crisis you could drive from ATL to FLL in 10 hours.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 16, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:48 pm

Normally I would say take the nonstop but jet blue is horrible with IRROPS so in this case I might opt for delta. There will be many more options if you have an issue and Delta will be far more helpful. You are traveling at a time where flights tend to be full and my experience with jet blue that they think nothing of rebooking you two days later.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

So, I have two votes for Delta and two votes for the nonstop on Jet blue. Hmm. Not a large sampling of people, but I think people can see why I posted the question in the first place. Keep your thoughts coming.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Of course, a third option is to book the air via the cruise line, so that you are really protected if you should miss the boat at its point of embarkation.
DiverDave and writerguyfl like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I’d vote Delta. Tie-broken. Go ahead and lock the thread. 😜
strickerj and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta has plenty of flights BOS-ATL, and a bazillion ATL-FLL. Delta's on-time performance and completion rates are head-and-shoulders better than JetBlue's. Book Delta with a sensible connect time in ATL without fear.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I doubt I would book with cruiseline. They just book a flight and give you very little options. And, if you want to go a day early (VERY SMART MOVE), they usually charge extra. We have done 20 cruises and never booked with cruise line. And doubt we ever will. And, if your flight does not arrive in time, the ship will still sail. You will NEVER get that first day or two back.

Nonstop sounds great, but the conerns about irrops in December are worth a concern.

Baggage? We do 2 weeks cruises now with carry on - LOL!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
So, I have two votes for Delta and two votes for the nonstop on Jet blue. Hmm. Not a large sampling of people, but I think people can see why I posted the question in the first place. Keep your thoughts coming.
It all comes down to what you value and how you value the reasonableness of alternate options. There's also the factor of bias in this poll asking among DL flyers who might well opt for DL due to loyalty/MQMs/FF benefits/etc. when those who don't value those things might value the nonstop or price or something else. This isn't saying their bias is wrong; you just have to recognize how it can sway things. Of course what you value in there and if you share that bias matters too. There's also a question of how much time you have on the 21st before your cruise leaves. Does it leave in the morning? Afternoon? Evening? Reason to ask is that might things as well. If you're delayed into ATL and misconnect to FLL, can you get a flight to FLL in the morning and make the cruise or a nearby airport that same night or the following morning and make it to the cruise terminal in time? Even an airport such as MIA, PBI, or even MLB, MCO, or RSW and then rent a car and drive to Ft Lauderdale?

There's also nonstops on AA on BOS-MIA - at least two (one at 4:55 pm and one around 6 pm - I would presume 4:55 pm is close enough to 5:00 that the 5 minutes wouldn't matter here?). Is a direct to MIA a reasonable option to consider?
Auto Enthusiast and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
IThere's also a question of how much time you have on the 21st before your cruise leaves. Does it leave in the morning? Afternoon? Evening? Reason to ask is that might things as well. If you're delayed into ATL and misconnect to FLL, can you get a flight to FLL in the morning and make the cruise or a nearby airport that same night or the following morning and make it to the cruise terminal in time? Even an airport such as MIA, PBI, or even MLB, MCO, or RSW and then rent a car and drive to Ft Lauderdale?

There's also nonstops on AA on BOS-MIA - at least two (one at 4:55 pm and one around 6 pm - I would presume 4:55 pm is close enough to 5:00 that the 5 minutes wouldn't matter here?). Is a direct to MIA a reasonable option to consider?
The cruise on the 21st leaves at 5pm. I probably should be at the cruise terminal no later than 3:30pm. That does give me some time in the morning to get to FLL if I am delayed on the 20th. I had not thought of AA. I will give them a look. In fact, I have never flown AA (only US Airways)!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
B6 has my favorite economy product of any US airline, but I'd be just a liiiiittle bit hesitant to book with them given their poor IRROPS recovery, specifically their inability to interline you onto another carrier if things go south somehow. Not to the point that I wouldn't do it, given your timing, but AA or DL would be just a bit safer.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
While I will opt for a nonstop all the time, to minimize travel time and potential loss of baggage, the biggest concern for me in your upcoming trip is IRROPS in December. Someone mentioned using the cruise line to book air, and if you do that, upon weather delay they will get you to the next port of call at no extra charge. But if you don't do that, Delta is handsdown better at IRROPS than B6, with more flights and a higher level of customer service, particularly since you have status with DL and none with B6 (which doesn't usually help anyway). Given your cruise ship will disembark in the morning and your departure isn't until late afternoon, DL or AA should get you close enough to make it onto the ship. Happy cruising!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I would definitely book DL. Even if FLL is canceled, DL has so many other flights as well as ATL - MIA and ATL - PBI. Jetblue doesn't fly into MIA, and their PBI flights basically require a NYC connection (BOS has some, but not good frequency). Like others said, DL will also interline to UA/AA. In the absolute worst case, it's a 9hr drive from ATL to MIA LOL.

Given you need to get there before your cruise, I'd definitely trust DL in this situation. Agreed with others to also look into UA/AA, esp if you have miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.