Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much influence does my status really have with China Eastern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much influence does my status really have with China Eastern?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Not much...don’t expect CX. The good news is every year MU gets a little better it seems and I have been on their planes for many years now...but STE+/Diamond generally does not get acknowledged...sometimes I feel they are a little put off that I am not crediting to MU’s Eastern Miles program - formally known as the ‘Golden Swallow’ program - possibly the worst name ever chosen for a FF program!
arunhn likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CoMooter
Not much...don’t expect CX. The good news is every year MU gets a little better it seems and I have been on their planes for many years now...but STE+/Diamond generally does not get acknowledged...sometimes I feel they are a little put off that I am not crediting to MU’s Eastern Miles program - formally known as the ‘Golden Swallow’ program - possibly the worst name ever chosen for a FF program!
I'm not sure whether a Check-in Agent or Gate Agent, being the only employees who probably would have access to this info, would really care whether I'm crediting my miles to MU's Eastern Miles, as it certainly doesn't benefit or mean anything to them personally, particularly with so many other SkyTeam fliers on their flights every day who are crediting their miles to their own airline's FF programme! In my experience they have mostly always acknowledged my status and thanked me, this being separate from the Purser's acknowledgment!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Standard STE+ as people have said. On ground the basic stuff you would get. Check-in line, boarding and the like. On board I was a PM and got nothing with MU. NO acknowledgement... just an FA trying to get me to trade seats with someone which I declined. Overall it was a good couple flights.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
You get NOTHING!!! And if you understood Chinese, you'd understand how much MU dislike DL passengers. I have heard a lot of colorful comments in Chinese made by MU ground staff at PVG. I remember a vivid conversation with transfer desk agent, once she realized I speak Chinese. She literally said "Are you crazy risking your life and handsome face flying those super old Delta 777?" I didn't know if it a flirt or insult until she told her coworker in Chinese "yo, here is another stupid American from Delta with no boarding pass... are the Americans so lazy that they never print a boarding pass before they leave?"...

One time I was irritated enough that I responded back in Chinese to the tune of "I don't fly MU from the US to China because your FAs are rude and disrespectful like you!" I think these colorful remarks are not helpful and excess.

MU in general is a very disorganized company and employees are often poorly trained or not trained before they are allowed loose to service customers.

Earlier this year, Chinese government instituted mandatory fingerprint scanning for all foreigners. Surprising, PVG was the last airport to get this. I have had my full fingerprints scanned and stored at both Xiamen and Shenzhen, so I usually skip the "foreigner fingerprint scanning" area. I had a MU ground agent starting screaming at me telling me foreigners must get scanned. I told him I am already scanned at other airports, and he said "Impossible, this is new!" I didn't want to argue, so I went to get scanned - as soon as my passport got read by the kiosk, the system told me I already scanned, so I asked him "I told you, what now?!" To which, he started to scream at his coworker, "how is it possible he is already scanned and we already just started doing this." They called over a supervisor, and was told exactly what I mentioned to them, that PVG is the last one to go, so I must have gotten scanned elsewhere... Instead of apologizing, the guy has the balls to ask me "what's wrong with you, flying around so much..."

I also love the craziness they call e-gate for transfer passengers. E-gates do not work for US-arriving transfer flights, so you end up having to wait in the staff-lined, but not until you get yelled at by the MU agents that you must use the e-gate... MU, can definitely win the award for the worst ran ST member airline.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by wlau
You get NOTHING!!! And if you understood Chinese, you'd understand how much MU dislike DL passengers. I have heard a lot of colorful comments in Chinese made by MU ground staff at PVG. I remember a vivid conversation with transfer desk agent, once she realized I speak Chinese. She literally said "Are you crazy risking your life and handsome face flying those super old Delta 777?" I didn't know if it a flirt or insult until she told her coworker in Chinese "yo, here is another stupid American from Delta with no boarding pass... are the Americans so lazy that they never print a boarding pass before they leave?"...

One time I was irritated enough that I responded back in Chinese to the tune of "I don't fly MU from the US to China because your FAs are rude and disrespectful like you!" I think these colorful remarks are not helpful and excess.

MU in general is a very disorganized company and employees are often poorly trained or not trained before they are allowed loose to service customers.

Earlier this year, Chinese government instituted mandatory fingerprint scanning for all foreigners. Surprising, PVG was the last airport to get this. I have had my full fingerprints scanned and stored at both Xiamen and Shenzhen, so I usually skip the "foreigner fingerprint scanning" area. I had a MU ground agent starting screaming at me telling me foreigners must get scanned. I told him I am already scanned at other airports, and he said "Impossible, this is new!" I didn't want to argue, so I went to get scanned - as soon as my passport got read by the kiosk, the system told me I already scanned, so I asked him "I told you, what now?!" To which, he started to scream at his coworker, "how is it possible he is already scanned and we already just started doing this." They called over a supervisor, and was told exactly what I mentioned to them, that PVG is the last one to go, so I must have gotten scanned elsewhere... Instead of apologizing, the guy has the balls to ask me "what's wrong with you, flying around so much..."

I also love the craziness they call e-gate for transfer passengers. E-gates do not work for US-arriving transfer flights, so you end up having to wait in the staff-lined, but not until you get yelled at by the MU agents that you must use the e-gate... MU, can definitely win the award for the worst ran ST member airline.
i don’t know about everyone else but I’m off to book an MU flight right now!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

I don't speak Chinese but I have experienced none of this before.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

i don’t know about everyone else but I’m off to book an MU flight right now!
lol.. yes. I am flying next week, so I'll let you guys know who all yelled at me
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I don't speak Chinese but I have experienced none of this before.
+1 - I’m by no means a Mandarin speaker, but the only time I heard “meiguo” was when an agent was having trouble scanning our passports and asked his supervisor for assistance. And, in fact, we actually encountered quite a bit of kindness - an agent happily added English to his rotating announcements for a delayed flight due to ATC issues, for example.

Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Listen to the clink of bottles and observe how the FAs or their buddies stuff their empty carry-on duffle bags full of booze bottles &c. at the end of flights on MU (sometimes).

Or at check-in desk with seven agents, note how all of them look away and pretend not to see you - the only pax to check-in.

Or the risk of crew smoking in-flight.

But that has nothing to do with MU. That is just typical how it is in China. (The last part though I've only had happen with MU. Not with CA or other PRC airlines.)

Aircraft and the in flight product, esp. in J, is good - for sure better than DL. Service can vary greatly, depends on the FAs you get. It can be upon take-off and landing like a zoo (aisles full of excess carry-on bags, pax and FAs walking around, eating, literally while plane is landing or taking off), or quite the opposite and strict security. Same for service.

MU is like DL in one way: one thing that is consistent is the inconsistency.

But at least you won't go as hungry as on KE and the planes are not as crazy hot as KE. On the ground experience worse than KE, but in flight still better than KE (marginally), mostly due to the solid product, new aircraft.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles
Every MU employee I have interacted with so far has been great. Everyone seems salty. Walked in the Skypriority checkin line at PVG, smile, did their job, told me to have a good day. No one was smoking. No use of laowai or or any other slang.

Lots of sea salt up in here.
BenA likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mindspin_311
Every MU employee I have interacted with so far has been great. Everyone seems salty. Walked in the Skypriority checkin line at PVG, smile, did their job, told me to have a good day. No one was smoking. No use of laowai or or any other slang.

Lots of sea salt up in here.
All these flavors and you chose to be salty!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Listen to the clink of bottles and observe how the FAs or their buddies stuff their empty carry-on duffle bags full of booze bottles &c. at the end of flights on MU (sometimes).

Or at check-in desk with seven agents, note how all of them look away and pretend not to see you - the only pax to check-in.

Or the risk of crew smoking in-flight.

But that has nothing to do with MU. That is just typical how it is in China. (The last part though I've only had happen with MU. Not with CA or other PRC airlines.)

Aircraft and the in flight product, esp. in J, is good - for sure better than DL. Service can vary greatly, depends on the FAs you get. It can be upon take-off and landing like a zoo (aisles full of excess carry-on bags, pax and FAs walking around, eating, literally while plane is landing or taking off), or quite the opposite and strict security. Same for service.

MU is like DL in one way: one thing that is consistent is the inconsistency.

But at least you won't go as hungry as on KE and the planes are not as crazy hot as KE. On the ground experience worse than KE, but in flight still better than KE (marginally), mostly due to the solid product, new aircraft.
This is pretty much my experience. Some food items have been great others bizarre/disgusting. Some service has been great other parts aloof/non-existent. My most recent trip we had to ask for the duvets/pillows/water, but they were great with the meal service other than the not handing out menus part. Some ground staff were fine, others were ambivalent to their jobs. The J seats are definitely fantastic though, quite comfy.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by webmarks
MU offers buy-ups onboard, not sure of the cost. Inquire at check-in and then at boarding.
I would certainly ask every desk about upgrading. Who knows. Maybe for $200 an employee would upgrade you, whether they are supposed to or not.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mills1090
On a recent PVG-LAX flight the buy up offered was ~$4000 to F, J was sold out.
There is no way that first-class on China Eastern is worth $4,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.