Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service dog taking up whole row

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jeet
yeah... reading comprehension problems right?
". ..unless you take a careless action .." see those words? thats the problem when you roll eyes... brain takes a break
I think the analogy is between the seat belt and the shock collar, not between the car and the dog or the dog's owner.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Right, but there is apparently a problem with DL check in agents, gate agents and flight attendants not enforcing this rule. If an FA sees that the dog can't fit, the solution should not be to offer the other pax miles. Either find two seats together where the animal can fit without encroaching or deplane the pax.
Yes, the solution to Delta not charging for a 2nd seat (which they're legally allowed to do) is, of course, getting them to charge for a 2nd seat. Not "restrict all service animals to something smaller than a beagle"
Old May 12, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Too bad that the answer is wrong in almost every detail.
Exactly, I didn’t complain to get a well written letter back. I complained so Delta would address this issue and not have it happen again to another person.
DiverDave and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Not to intrude on this nice popcorn dialog, but what about miniature horses that ARE recognized AS service animals? I don't care how miniature the horse is but it WILL encroach on other passengers space. How does this all work out? Seriously, I am curios about this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Not to intrude on this nice popcorn dialog, but what about miniature horses that ARE recognized AS service animals? I don't care how miniature the horse is but it WILL encroach on other passengers space. How does this all work out? Seriously, I am curios about this.
From dl.com:

“Any animal other than a dog or cat will be evaluated on case-by-case basis.”
Old May 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Skymiles MillionMiler
Delta does charge now for 2nd seat for large dogs who don't fit in front of a single seat
Old May 27, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles MillionMiler
Delta now requires a 2nd seat purchase for large dogs. so that won't be happening to you again. And, I am a passenger who always travels in FC and the bulkhead seats and with my Saint Bernard service dog. She takes up the entire row of the FC bulkhead, but does not protrude into the aisle. I do usually have to tuck her tail in though. She has her own SkyMiles account and is well known to the Boston SkyClub reps. Even before the rule change, I always purchased her ticket too. The only people who are inconvenienced are the ones who might have reserved a bulkhead seat and DL Special Services desk bumped them to another seat. This is done by Special Services when i buy the tickets. And of course the passengers who pass us on narrow body jets with an annoyed look when they see the empty seat, and realized that they didn't get an upgrade because of her reserved but not occupied seat.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Husky01
Delta does charge now for 2nd seat for large dogs who don't fit in front of a single seat
Good to hear. However, like all DL policies the proof will be in the enforcement. If pax don’t buy a tix for a large dog and GA and TA’s dont enforce then problem continues. Similar to pax who intentionall being large suitcases bigger than a roller board through TSA.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Once in a gazillion flights (my personal statistics is 0 out of 1000+ lifetime segments) you encounter an inconvenience caused by a dog - is it really such an issue to justify wasting time on writing someone?

A quarter of my flights have issues with delays, poor service, tsa lines, bad catering etc etc - dogs are the least of my concern. Ymmv.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Mobility Assistance Service Dog

I'm really sorry that I almost died after suffering a major brain injury when I was in my early 30's and I worked very hard to get to where I am today in my recovery. Sadly, I don't have the option of jumping in my car and driving cross country due to the neurological deficits I still struggle with 15 years later. So the safest thing I can do for myself and other people on America's highways and byways is to fly commercially. Because I need mobility assistance, I have a BIG STRONG loving dog and he has saved my life several times and saved taxpayers TONS of money on my healthcare. Without him, I would need home healthcare nurses daily and YOU the American taxpayers would be footing the bill. I always pay extra to upgrade my seat so I can get him the most floor space and I get emails and make calls weeks beforehand giving the airlines his exact measurements and weight. I have been bumped from my spacious seating I paid for to an empty row that my knees even touched the seat back in front of me while my service dog had to lay on large metal pieces for a cross country thanks to Frontier Airlines. This was after they called me up to the ticket counter in front of ALL the other passengers waiting to board and humiliated me. I was in tears. I had done EVERYTHING required of me plus more. Yet Frontier and its employees treated me like garbage at the gate. On my flight back home, I booked with a different airline(American) and all I can say is my experience with American was wonderful. The gate agents the flight attendants and even the pilots were so gracious and kind to us. Even the TSA agents all commented and told me how they wished all service dogs were as calm and we'll trained as my boy is. A person doesn't choose to become disabled just like no one chooses to get cancer. Listen I'm allergic to dogs myself and guess what THEY SELL BENADRL IN EVERY AIRPORT SO STOP AND GET A PACK. YOU CAN SPARE $2. I can't change my disability but you can change your attitude. I can't change people who abuse the system but that's on them and one day KARMA will deal with them. So don't sweat the small stuff. You are only gonna be on that plane for a little bit don't let the idiots stress you. Don't you have more important things in your life to think about?
Dianne47 and Scudsone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.