Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service dog taking up whole row

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Only anecdotal, but in all my life experiences, those who do not have a genuine affinity for dogs, are to be avoided. Don't serial killers often start by torturing animals?

(yes, I know know one on here is condoning the mistreatment of animals)
Really? Lots of people have allergies - I break out in hives, badly, if dog saliva touches me. People have been bitten by dogs. Dogs on planes, except true service animals, can be a massive nuisance if they aren't trained.
DiverDave and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
To add my $.02, I feel for the OP here. At the same time, I also feel for the owner of the dog if it was a real service dog. Unfortunately, there is no way to really tell a true service dog/ESA and a well-trained fake (and no, a service dog licking you a couple times is not an indication it isn't a service dog). I wish Congress would change the law to require documentation for service dogs. I'm willing to bend over backwards to accommodate someone with a service dog. I'd be more than happy for airlines to get rid of ESAs and fake service dogs.

Of course the airlines have brought some of this on themselves with crazy high fees for cabin pets and pet cargo - not to mention a poor record of treating cargo pets with proper care. As an aside, to me it should be no fee for a cabin pet under the seat in a pet carrier in lieu of a carry-on OR a high fee for cargo - BUT with guaranteed and verifiable treatment guidelines.

The above opinion brought to you by someone who has 4 dogs, and loves/spoils them dearly but still detests people faking ESAs/Service dogs.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
My wife has anxiety. She should bring my 11 year old daughter on board for free as her emotional support animal.
argolfer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by spamkiller
My wife has anxiety. She should bring my 11 year old daughter on board for free as her emotional support animal.
Can she fit under the seat in front of your wife? Then sure.
spamkiller likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Better the service dog lick you than the pax.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jrl767
I miss Bloom County.

edit: I had not idea that the strip had been resumed. And here I thought this thread had long ago become devoid of any useful information........

Last edited by DiverDave; Aug 29, 2018 at 6:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I boarded a 5-hour flight in First Class recently and the entire row was taken up by a massive emotional support pitbull. Not only do I have allergies, but I paid full fare for the ticket. To have my legroom, which I paid dearly for, completely reduced is just wrong. I'd be more willing to deal with it were it a true service dog but instead it was for a normal, healthy twenty-something girl. It was unbelievably frustrating.
How do you know it wasn't a service dog? There are lots of people who look "normal" but have legitimate needs.

If the dog was in your space you should inform the FA. If you have allergies you should inform the FA.

These are two completely different issues.

What cabin you're in and what you paid for the ticket is frankly irrelevant.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I boarded a 5-hour flight in First Class recently and the entire row was taken up by a massive emotional support pitbull. Not only do I have allergies, but I paid full fare for the ticket. To have my legroom, which I paid dearly for, completely reduced is just wrong. I'd be more willing to deal with it were it a true service dog but instead it was for a normal, healthy twenty-something girl. It was unbelievably frustrating.
Effective July 10, Delta banned pit bull breeds so there's at least that.

https://news.delta.com/delta-updates...ective-july-10
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Effective July 10, Delta banned pit bull breeds so there's at least that.

https://news.delta.com/delta-updates...ective-july-10
It's ironic that the linked statement from DL expresses concerns about EMPLOYEES being bitten but says nothing about the risk of CUSTOMERS/PASSENGERS being bitten. IIRC the service (IIRC ESA for PTSD) animal that very badly bit the customer/passenger guy's face was a pit bull mix, but I'm sure one of the dog lovers here can correct me on that.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's ironic that the linked statement from DL expresses concerns about EMPLOYEES being bitten but says nothing about the risk of CUSTOMERS/PASSENGERS being bitten.
Did you... actually read it?

Since Delta's changes took effect in March, many carriers have followed suit. The new requirements support Delta's top priority of ensuring safety for its customers and employees, while supporting the rights of customers with legitimate needs, such as disabled veterans, to travel with trained service and support animals.

"The safety and security of Delta people and our customers is always our top priority," said Gil West, Chief Operating Officer. "We will always review and enhance our policies and procedures to ensure that Delta remains a leader in safety."
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I did and I was reacting to an earlier sentence:

These updates, which come as the peak summer travel season is underway, are the direct result of growing safety concerns following recent incidents in which several employees were bitten.

No mention of customers/passengers at that point, even given the highly publicized incident in which the passenger's face was bitten extremely badly and the customer was disfigured as a result. At that time, DL let the animal depart without insisting that it be held for observation regarding its behavior and/or its rabies status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So DL responded. They did try to call me (I was flying at the time) but left a VM saying they would follow up via email. Not sure how enthusiastic I am about their response. But I at least tried to make my voice heard. And since their response wasn稚 truly satisfactory for me I知 posting a pic of the dog in my space (yes I did send to DL).
覧覧

Hello Mnredfox,

RE: Case XXXXXX

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip from MSP to DEN. I tried to reach you by phone today with no success and wanted to respond as quickly as possible. I can only imagine how frustrating it must've been sitting next to an emotional support animal and not being able to stretch out your legs.

We are here to serve all passengers well and I知 sorry your flight was not as pleasant as it could've been. I'm sure it wasn't helpful that the pet onboard next to you was sitting in their owner痴 feet coming over into your space.

Your disappointment with our guidelines around passengers traveling with their pets is understandable. I recognize your concern that the passenger's pet may not have been too large however this pet was an approve emotional support animal. So that you become familiar with all of our updated Pet Travel Policies, Emotional Support and Service Animal Policies, please visit our website for the most up-to-date information.

In addition our Flight Attendants are very well trained for these situations and while the seating would have been different they are more than willing to find another seat or someone to swap with another passenger.

Andrew, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I致e forwarded your concerns directly to our In-Flight Service leadership team for their review. We'll use your feedback to help us improve our service for your future travel.

I love that you're a Diamond Medallion Million Miler. I know you have a choice when you travel, so thank you for always choosing Delta! We look forward to serving you well on your future Delta flights.

Regards,

Agent (name removed)
Customer Care

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:09 pm

Totally unacceptable.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Yes, that seems like a weak response. The fact that they're conflating their pet policy with their service and support animal policy is a really, really bad sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.