Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / KLM - Upgrade at check in question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / KLM - Upgrade at check in question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Depends on how it is processed. If the agent does it on a rush, you might get the extra MQMs, if it's done correctly, you get original MQMs.
Good to know so a extra MR it is
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by DLFlyer16
My experience on KLM and AF is airport UG are pretty cheap. Usually less than $600 for most segments.
Have you been offered an upgrade in the last 10 months or so? The consensus is that prices took a hike and now are ridiculous. I was flying CDG-IAD not too long ago and was offered Y - > W for 900 Euros and Y -> J for 2,100 Euros. On the way back, they were not offering Y -> W but offered me W - > J for USD$ 900.
For the MSP-CDG AF flights upgrades to PE and Business are sold at the gate if the seats are available. The availability is announced at the gate and in the SkyClub; the prices are scaled according to the original fare. I flew that flight on 8/21 and was offered $319 to upgrade from PE (G fare) to Business, which I took with alacrity. In the preceding weeks I had tried, without success, to get a mileage upgrade for the flight.
SDQBound and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

For the MSP-CDG AF flights upgrades to PE and Business are sold at the gate if the seats are available. The availability is announced at the gate and in the SkyClub; the prices are scaled according to the original fare. I flew that flight on 8/21 and was offered $319 to upgrade from PE (G fare) to Business, which I took with alacrity. In the preceding weeks I had tried, without success, to get a mileage upgrade for the flight.
This is great to know! I don't mind an extra stop at MSP, which, in some cases, is offered at a much lower price than the nonstop CDG-IAD.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:00 pm

This is great to know! I don't mind an extra stop at MSP, which, in some cases, is offered at a much lower price than the nonstop CDG-IAD.
Note that the flights I described were MSP-CDG. I haven’t encountered the same offer on the westbound flights. Also, these upgrades out of MSP are offered only on the seasonal AF flights, not on Delta flights MSP-CDG. I don’t know whether there are similar upgrade offers on the seasonal KLM flights MSP-AMS.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before doing this, be careful about aircraft type, including seats (genuine flat bed or not versus slanty things or recliners that don't go completely flat) and configuration (AF does 2-2-2 and even 2-3-2 in business class). Every time I've checked the MSP-CDG AF flight had slanted seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. On certain other routes, probably including IAD, AF mostly uses their 77Ws with new cabins or perhaps an A380 (which might not have the good seats either). There's a lot of information on this in the FT AF forum (subforum of FB = AF/KLM + some other carriers).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before doing this, be careful about aircraft type, including seats (genuine flat bed or not versus slanty things or recliners that don't go completely flat) and configuration (AF does 2-2-2 and even 2-3-2 in business class). Every time I've checked the MSP-CDG AF flight had slanted seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. On certain other routes, probably including IAD, AF mostly uses their 77Ws with new cabins or perhaps an A380 (which might not have the good seats either). There's a lot of information on this in the FT AF forum (subforum of FB = AF/KLM + some other carriers).
The two times I’ve gotten upgrades to Business on AF (a year ago with a mileage upgrade and last week the offer at the gate) it was the slanty type of seat, not a full lie-flat, and the cabin had a 2-2-2 configuration. It was still a great deal better than economy or C+ or PE, especially at 20K SkyMiles (that was August 2017; it’s gone up to 25K since then) or $319.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

The two times I’ve gotten upgrades to Business on AF (a year ago with a mileage upgrade and last week the offer at the gate) it was the slanty type of seat, not a full lie-flat, and the cabin had a 2-2-2 configuration. It was still a great deal better than economy or C+ or PE, especially at 20K SkyMiles (that was August 2017; it’s gone up to 25K since then) or $319.
Of course it's a great deal, but if someone books the MSP connection and expects the seats/configuration present on a different AF route, there could be disappointment regarding the aircraft type.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Even with the old seats (NEV4), which I didn't mind before they rolled out the BEST seats, this is a very good deal. I know that these offers are not available westbound, as I mentioned, the upgrade prices I've been quoted when departing from CDG are ridiculous, sometimes higher than the difference between Y and J at the time of booking.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

And let's be clear, there's a difference between paying for an upgrade and being offered an upgrade seat 30 hours beforehand. The former is more expensive and the latter is just opportunistic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.