Wiki Posts
Search

TPA-AMS Service Announced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by twincheeks
I don’t fly coach
Well, aren't you special :-)

For those of us who ride in the back, the 767 is a great bird for a long flight. Only one middle seat out of seven.
wrp96 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
One could only hope they modify the operating hours of the Delta sky club at TPA with the addition of this flight. The club currently closes at 7:30 p.m.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Been in FL for 4 years and never considered Tampa part of Central Florida. Live on the East Coast of FL and locals always refer to the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area the West Coast.

On another note moving to the TPA area next month. The more International options the better.
Grew up in Florida, the entire I-4 Corridor is Central Florida to me. More Orlando, but Tampa and Orlando aren't that far apart, especially for international airport travel.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is stupid. It will hurt the MCO-AMS flight. MCO is a short and easy drive from Tampa. There is a bubble forming and it will burst eventually.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Been in FL for 4 years and never considered Tampa part of Central Florida. Live on the East Coast of FL and locals always refer to the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area the West Coast.

On another note moving to the TPA area next month. The more International options the better.
Actually we call it West Central Florida. Southwest Florida starts at Sarasota county (despite Manatee counties objections). Tampa isn’t on the coast unless you count Tampa Bay as the coast.

Great news for TPA though. CBP at F is getting a bit crowded these days. I wonder if the aircraft will be towed to E after deplaning at F.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Most excited for the later time of LAX-AMS. Makes flying to Europe (for the most part) much easier and better for jetlag avoidance
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL
This is a bit surprising, considering they launched MCO-AMS right down the road recently.
Those must be some really wide roads y’all have in Florida these days
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by heckler
Strange indeed.. what with MCO, MIA and all those other FL airports. CDG is something else.. having two flights to the same destination in quite close proximity was a head scratcher - not to mention that there was also CVG-CDG flights during the glamour days of CVG. Heck, I think that CDG-CVG route is still running between cincinnati and Paris...
At one time CVG-CDG was twice daily, including one of the two daily flights being on a 777. CVG had service to quite a few European destinations in those days. I flew CVG-FRA in 2008.

I don’t know if it’s the sole reason but part of the reason CVG-CDG has remained despite the other cuts at CVG, is that the belly of the 767 is often filled with GE Aviation engine parts from the Evandale plant bound for Airbus in Europe.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by arunhn

Those must be some really wide roads y’all have in Florida these days
I-4 could be wider, but a large median was purposely left for the high speed rail that we voters said yes to. It was never built because the governor refused to accept $2.6 billion in stimulus dollars to help build it. We just learned that the governor is accepting private bids to build it as he’s suddenly supporting it - and we learned that his wife owns stock in one of the companies bidding. Toxic Algae Rick is a slick one, but this is off topic and Omni related.

As far as the TPA flight goes, European tourists frequently split their vacations between the Orlando theme parks and the west coast beaches, or vice versa. They’ll fly into one airport and out of the other.

In other words, I-4 is a mess most of the day. It’s not wide enough for the growth in central Florida and all the tourists.

Last edited by sleuth; Aug 23, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is stupid. It will hurt the MCO-AMS flight. MCO is a short and easy drive from Tampa. There is a bubble forming and it will burst eventually.
I was curious to see what the fare difference would be. As a tpa based traveler, mco and tpa fares can vary widely. I did a dummy booking and right now for may 23-may 31 2019, mco -ams is $898 rt in economy, and the tpa-ams is $3061 same dates and class. Undoubtedly the fare may go down as well but thats a crazy difference out of the gate.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
They will go down for sure as the current cheapest available fares classes for a(n) (in)direct AMS-TPA trip are B and W. Rest of the fare classes will undoubtedly loaded in the system at a later date.
Same situation iirc when MCO-AMS started.

Guess a considerable amount of traffic will be EU tourists flown in by KLM/AF feeder flights from all over Europe and those connecting pax generally don't have to pay a premium.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On another note moving to the TPA area next month.
Welcome to Central Florida!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Perhaps there are some subsidies involved?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Joshua C
Perhaps there are some subsidies involved?
Perhaps?

To land the Amsterdam flight, the airport will provide an estimated $1.2 million in incentives to Delta. That includes $847,880 in waived landing fees, gate fees and operating fees for two years and $356,154 in reimbursable marketing funds for Delta to promote the route.That is the airport’s standard package for such a flight, regardless of the airline involved, said Kenneth Strickland, TIA’s director of research and air service development. The airport also intends to apply on Delta’s behalf for funds available from Visit Florida.In addition, Visit St. Pete Clearwater and Visit Tampa Bay also have committed funds to promote the flight to inbound passengers."We know that the people of Amsterdam are going to feel very, very comfortable riding bicycles on our Riverwalk, enjoying the finest cuisine and taking in some of our great art," Visit Tampa Bay CEO Santiago Corrada said.

Lol those poor people from Clearwater/Tampa Bay. Noone told them that 'those people from Amsterdam' don't stop for anything once they are on a bike, that includes people, animals, cars, red lights or whatever traffic signs

Source:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...port_171111093

Last edited by Grouchy; Aug 23, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
The majority of DL's 763s were delivered between 1998 and 2000. BA has a ton of old 777s from the late 90s and the 3 LH Cityline 340s are only a year or two younger on average.

So you're either going to need to connect in the US to get on those brand spankin new tech wonders or you're flying WK, in which case, doesn't sound overly convenient for travel to/from the UK.

I connect in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.