Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Autopilot issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Autopilot issue

Was on an MD-88 today from ATL-RDU and had an interesting situation. We are on final approach w no weather, getting close to landing and then we pull the gear and gas it. We circle and Captain says “we had a short in the autopilot. It’s been disengaged and we are now going to land.” Anybody else had this one? I can’t imagine it’s a regular occurrence...or maybe it is?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Did they try the manual inflation tube?

Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Did they try the manual inflation tube?

If the autopilot is disengaged, shouldn't his hand be on the stick?!?!?

Ohhhhh, wait a minute . . . .
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Troppy
Was on an MD-88 today from ATL-RDU and had an interesting situation. We are on final approach w no weather, getting close to landing and then we pull the gear and gas it. We circle and Captain says “we had a short in the autopilot. It’s been disengaged and we are now going to land.” Anybody else had this one? I can’t imagine it’s a regular occurrence...or maybe it is?
I'm a commercial airline pilot. It happens once in a while. Probably more likely to occur on an older plane like the MD-88. Many times we can disconnect the autopilot and just hand fly the rest of the approach/landing. Sometimes (especially in low visibility/ceiling) it is too late to salvage the approach so you have to discontinue and try again. On approach, the "pilot flying" will have his/her hands on the yoke and throttles even when the autopilot is flying.

There is also the possibility that was not the real reason for the go-around, but that is what they told the passengers. An example would be the approach is not stable (perhaps due to Air Traffic Control keeping you high/fast for too long) or the pilot being a little late in slowing down. Rather than admit fault, they blame the autopilot.
Troppy and hortkie like this.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Aug 16, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.