Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SFO-SEA-AMS-OTP costs ~half miles of just SEA-AMS-OTP??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SEA-AMS-OTP costs ~half miles of just SEA-AMS-OTP??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy SFO-SEA-AMS-OTP costs ~half miles of just SEA-AMS-OTP??

Hi all,
I'm trying to book a ticket mid September from Seattle to Bucharest (OTP/Romania).
I fund a nice miles trip, but from SFO *through* SEA to AMS-OTP. This is what I have:
SFO-SEA-AMS-OTP 56K miles + $78
SEA-AMS-OTP 104K miles +$73

Any thoughts on the idea of booking the cheaper option and then ask Delta to drop the SFO-SEA segment?
Both tickets are available right now, so it's not a matter of "that was the price at that time".

PS: I looked at cash prices as well and everything from Seattle is Crazy expensive compared with other west coast airports ($1500+ vs $800-900 from SFO for example).

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Ovidiu
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ovidiu Todoran
Hi all,
I'm trying to book a ticket mid September from Seattle to Bucharest (OTP/Romania).
I fund a nice miles trip, but from SFO *through* SEA to AMS-OTP. This is what I have:

Any thoughts on the idea of booking the cheaper option and then ask Delta to drop the SFO-SEA segment?
Both tickets are available right now, so it's not a matter of "that was the price at that time".

PS: I looked at cash prices as well and everything from Seattle is Crazy expensive compared with other west coast airports ($1500+ vs $800-900 from SFO for example).

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Ovidiu
DL's pricing is dynamic and is supposed to be more reflective of revenue pricing, hence why SFO is both cheaper in miles and cash - the miles ticket is reflective of the cheaper cash ticket. SFO-OTP is likely cheaper than SEA-OTP because DL faces more competition from SFO with *A out of SFO.

DL is unlikely to allow you to book the cheaper flights and then just drop the SFO-SEA/SEA-SFO segments without repricing the ticket (plus charging a redeposit fee of $150). What you could do is book SFO-SEA-AMS-OTP-AMS-SEA-SFO and book a one-way to SFO for cheap then basically position down to SFO and then fly back through SEA (if you view the difference in miles as worth more than the time required). On the return you could take the risk that there won't be any IROPs and just get off in SEA and if you have checked bags just head out of the airport rather than dropping your luggage off and then boarding the flight for SFO.
Ovidiu Todoran likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for answering!
Yes, I'm aware of this option and considering it (fly to SFO and start from there. Stop in SEA on the way back).
Not familiar with IROPs. Reading about them now

Last edited by Ovidiu Todoran; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm Reason: Better thanks
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks a lot for answering!
Yes, I'm aware of this option and considering it (fly to SFO and start from there. Stop in SEA on the way back).
Not familiar with IROPs. Reading about them now
IROPs = "Irregular Operations", i.e. delays/cancelations, etc. that drive misconnects and reroutes. The risk here is lets say your OTP-AMS or AMS-SEA leg is canceled or delayed. The airline is under no obligation to get you to SEA as that's not your final ticketed destination, it's technically SFO. So they could try to reroute you on say OTP-CDG-SFO or OTP-AMS-SFO or OTP-AMS-ATL-SFO or something that doesn't go through SEA at all. Of course, most airlines are pretty flexible in IROPs and you could probably play some games to get a more reasonable option. "Oh, AMS-SEA isn't available - well my final destination is about halfway between SFO and PDX - can you rebook me on AMS-PDX?" (where you're at least closer to SEA - an easy train ride or drive up to Seattle). "Oh, it's fine if you rebook on an option with an overnight in SEA - I have family I can stay with". Or suggest OTP-CDG-SEA-SFO. If you know your options and don't raise too much of a stink, you can really minimize the risk and still find something to/through/near SEA that works. Just do understand the risks involved with this option.

PS: I just realized this was your first post so welcome to FT.
Ovidiu Todoran and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Excellent details! Thanks again! I wasn't considering this possible issue.
Now I'm aware of it. Thanks for all the suggestions on the IROPs for this particular case.

PS: I actually thought it could have meant a possible charge from Delta because I didn't make the last segment. Is this a risk at all? I've read about possible retaliation for those doing this frequently. Assuming not an issue for a one time.

Thanks for all the useful details on the IROPs. This was an aspect I neglected. Small probability judging by my family's +30 trips on this route (over 18 years), but yes, we did miss our connection once (delayed flight on first segment). Fortunately there's a 4hrs in AMS on the return connection).
PS: I initially thought this would refer to possible penalties from Delta for skipping the last trip. From what I've read that seems basically a non issue for a one time event (never done this).

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:57 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
IROPs = "Irregular Operations", i.e. delays/cancelations, etc. that drive misconnects and reroutes. The risk here is lets say your OTP-AMS or AMS-SEA leg is canceled or delayed. The airline is under no obligation to get you to SEA as that's not your final ticketed destination, it's technically SFO. So they could try to reroute you on say OTP-CDG-SFO or OTP-AMS-SFO or OTP-AMS-ATL-SFO or something that doesn't go through SEA at all. Of course, most airlines are pretty flexible in IROPs and you could probably play some games to get a more reasonable option. "Oh, AMS-SEA isn't available - well my final destination is about halfway between SFO and PDX - can you rebook me on AMS-PDX?" (where you're at least closer to SEA - an easy train ride or drive up to Seattle). "Oh, it's fine if you rebook on an option with an overnight in SEA - I have family I can stay with". Or suggest OTP-CDG-SEA-SFO. If you know your options and don't raise too much of a stink, you can really minimize the risk and still find something to/through/near SEA that works. Just do understand the risks involved with this option.

PS: I just realized this was your first post so welcome to FT.
You can still insist on going through SEA. May mean waiting a day, but they won't refuse. If for some reason they do, call DL US number and they'll get it done. (In AMS/CDG AF/KL ground handle DL flights. They can sometimes not be as easy going as DL)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:34 am

I had a similar issue with partner availability some time ago and was able to call and cancel the first segment after booking without recalculating mileage. Not sure if it will work in your case but you have 24hr to cancel -- does not hurt to try?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
48K more miles, but $5 cheaper. These are really effectively the same price if you value SkyMiles at $0.0001 each
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Can you try booking a multi-city

1. SEA-SFO
2. SFO-OTP
3. OTP-SEA

?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Wasn't notified of these two last answers.
Tried now, but I'm simply getting a "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but no results were found for your search. Some of our flights only operate seasonally or on select days of the week. Try using the nearby airport search or flexible date option. If you are still unable to find a suitable flight, please call Delta Reservations at 800-221-1212.#101761A".
Doing the separate flights works. Not sure what's the issue. Anyway unlikely to help since the originating airport would still be Seattle.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Welcome to FT!

​​​I just wanted to give you a word of caution about the SEA-SFO positioning flight. Because you will be on separate tickets, if that first leg has a schedule change / cancellation / delay (SFO is often plagued with fog) then Delta isn't under any obligation to route you to OTP. You'll just be considered a no-show. Maybe you'd get a nice agent who let's you meet up with the plane in SEA but you can't count on it.

​​​​​​When I do positioning flights (LAX is always cheaper than PHX), I go the night before. I'd rather pay for a night at the Hilton or Crowne Plaza rather than risk missing my vacation. Of course this might be deemed excessive by some, it's all about risk assessment and aversion.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
Welcome to FT!

​​​I just wanted to give you a word of caution about the SEA-SFO positioning flight. Because you will be on separate tickets, if that first leg has a schedule change / cancellation / delay (SFO is often plagued with fog) then Delta isn't under any obligation to route you to OTP. You'll just be considered a no-show. Maybe you'd get a nice agent who let's you meet up with the plane in SEA but you can't count on it.

​​​​​​When I do positioning flights (LAX is always cheaper than PHX), I go the night before. I'd rather pay for a night at the Hilton or Crowne Plaza rather than risk missing my vacation. Of course this might be deemed excessive by some, it's all about risk assessment and aversion.
DL will protect across separate tickets as long as both are issued by DL and have sufficient time between flights as if booked as one ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL will protect across separate tickets as long as both are issued by DL and have sufficient time between flights as if booked as one ticket.
+1 on this. I have had two separate tickets not work out either due to day-of-travel IRROPS or three month ahead schedule changes more times than I can count. Agents never batted an eye to help me out. Try checking your bags on those separate itineraries though...and it requires 15 minutes of eye rolling and typing by the Agent to make it work.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Oh awesome, I never heard that before.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gig103
Oh awesome, I never heard that before.
Not something want publicly known. If every knew it, everyone eould do separate tickets and defeat O/D pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.