Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Had first class but now gone due to equipment change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

So back in May I booked a trip to huatulco the September. I purchased first class as the first class price was very reasonable. last night I got a schedule change for the first leg of the return flight on Delta 8973 Operated by aerolitoral as Aeromexico connect but the times had not changed which I thought was weird. So come to find out it's actually an equipment change and they've changed to an all coach class plane.

so I take it that since they removed first class from that flight I'll still get my sky priority benefits?

my question is since I booked and paid for first / business class when I initially booked and now there is no first / business am I eligible for any kind of compensation from delta
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you bought your ticket directly from Delta you should contact Delta about alternate routes or class-of-service refund. If you didn't buy from Delta you should contact whoever sold you the ticket.

Do not assume you'll get SkyPriority benefits.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Well I now have 1c which is designated as am plus seat and the Aeromexico website states that that gets skypriorty benefits.

should I wait till after the flight is flown to request that refund or should I request it now? There have been so many schedule changes on the strip something tells me it might come back
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by bigpapa7272
Well I now have 1c which is designated as am plus seat and the Aeromexico website states that that gets skypriorty benefits.

should I wait till after the flight is flown to request that refund or should I request it now? There have been so many schedule changes on the strip something tells me it might come back
No go now and call DL, like any business DL has no inherit benefit to help you after the fact. They may try to say you flew so you accepted the change.

Call and say you wanted to switch to a different flight or want a refund of the F price to Y.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try to document what if would have cost you to purchase a coach ticket at the time you bought your ticket. Sometimes airlines try to give a refund base3d on the full walk up coach fare on the day of travel, usually FULL Y, which can easily cost more than an advanced purchase FC or business class ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:10 am

Are there other flights (on DL metal) that fit your schedule in F? If so, have DL move you to them, on account of the schedule change.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - you will get SkyPriority benefits with a premium cabin ticket. However, don't expect these benefits to be as pronounced in Mexico, as you see them carried out in the US by Delta.

Having said that, and assuming you bought the ticket from Delta on their ticket stock - they will literally change you to any other routing in First class with an empty seat that you would prefer - whether its DL operated or AM operated doesn't matter as they have a joint venture now. You should be able to find a routing that has first class, even if more circuitous, that gets you there.

Alternatively, you can ask for a refund of the fare difference plus a $200 downgrade voucher - but depending on the fare difference and alternative routings, a different routing may be ideal. You have to do all of this before the first flight departs, ideally.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If DL cant get you eeeoutes in F then they should 1)give credit between F and Y fare on day you purchased. This may be very minimal if anything at all. 2)offer a $200 travel voucher for the downgrade if there's no way to rebook you in F.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Well when I bought it economy was 537 and the upgrade each way was 169. So I paid 875 round trip

I'm going to Huatulco Mexico and theres not a whole lot of choices.

how in the heck would they recalculate it on a thorough fare?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bigpapa7272

how in the heck would they recalculate it on a thorough fare?
Probably by pro-rating distance. Per both domestic and international C of C:

b) Within A Fare Component - The refund will be an amount equal to the percentage of unflown mileage to fare component total mileage by prorating the fare paid for the fare component, from the point of termination/interruption to the destination, or next Stopover point named on the ticket, or to the point at which transportation is to be resumed. No refund will apply when alternate transportation is provided by Delta and accepted by the passenger.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Im waiting for them to call me back now they are showing 2 flights on delta 8973 one in premier and the other in classic m. I am asking for downgrade compensation since i booked first glass originally and i am now downgraded to economy on dl 8973

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.