Search

BOS-RIC Today- 08/11/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BOS-RIC Today- 08/11/18

Talk about a sad state of affairs... or maybe a comedy of errors/failures.

It all started with DL6262 BOS-BUF being delayed due to MX... first it was a 2hr delay, then worked its way up in 15-30 min increments to over 4hr delay. Naturally all of the downstream flights were impacted, including my original DL6248 bos-ric which went from 7:50 to after 11pm. So I got off that flight and onto the 2pm which was now delayed to 5:30.

Fast forward a couple hours later while I'm on the way to the airport in traffic... delayed to 8:30pm, due to crew timeout... Now back at noon, Delta would've known that the crew would be timing out due to the 4hr+ delay. Why is it taking them over 8 hours to get a backup crew in for this? Really absurd if you ask me. Current departure time is after 9pm, over a 7hr delay now.

Yes this is a total venting/.....ing post but this really ticked me off with the usual bs 30 min increments and then bam another 3hrs for something that was under Delta control. No weather involved whatsoever.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down GoJet strikes again

sounds like what happened to my son on Wed: RIC-DTW-CVG, landed DTW around 1125 to find his 1310 flight was delayed until 2130 ... non-status, so he didn’t clear standby on any of the other afternoon/evening flights, and eventually learned that the reason was lack of a pilot
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
deleted, fat-thumb duplicate
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Talk about a sad state of affairs... or maybe a comedy of errors/failures.

It all started with DL6262 BOS-BUF being delayed due to MX... first it was a 2hr delay, then worked its way up in 15-30 min increments to over 4hr delay. Naturally all of the downstream flights were impacted, including my original DL6248 bos-ric which went from 7:50 to after 11pm. So I got off that flight and onto the 2pm which was now delayed to 5:30.

Fast forward a couple hours later while I'm on the way to the airport in traffic... delayed to 8:30pm, due to crew timeout... Now back at noon, Delta would've known that the crew would be timing out due to the 4hr+ delay. Why is it taking them over 8 hours to get a backup crew in for this? Really absurd if you ask me. Current departure time is after 9pm, over a 7hr delay now.

Yes this is a total venting/.....ing post but this really ticked me off with the usual bs 30 min increments and then bam another 3hrs for something that was under Delta control. No weather involved whatsoever.
You have no clue where the crew was coming from, nor what their day has been so far. One crew doesn't stick with one plane all day.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You have no clue where the crew was coming from, nor what their day has been so far. One crew doesn't stick with one plane all day.
This and the fact that delay estimates are estimates. Something that looks like it will take 2 hours may take 4 hours or it may turn out that the aircraft must be taken out of service for an extended period of time. Sometimes the two hours turns out to be 30 minutes. All that matters is safety. Better to have annoying creeping delays than an aviation disaster caused by sloppy work against a clock.

Crew and aircraft issues also arise as a carrier shifts those around. It is entirely possible that the crew scheduled to operate the aircraft was reassigned to another flight and the new crew for your delayed flight timed out.

Generally speaking, DL uses state-of-the-art software to schedule and reschedule crew and aircraft to minimize delays. Delays and cancellations go straight to the bottom line, so it is hardly in DL's interest.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had one last year DTW-MDT on a CR2 where they had to change crews, and allegedly the reassigned captain just left the airport instead of going to pick up the extra flights. They had to deadhead in a reserve pilot on MSP-DTW to pick up the flight (3+ hours late) and the return MDT-DTW. The gate agents were not happy, and were very blunt about what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.