Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

toddlers and D1 (conflicting information so far)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist

I've read some threads that say toddlers 2-4 years old are not allowed in D1 and others that say they are with approved seating? We are looking at a RT slc-lhr connecting through seattle (to virgin) for next year with what will be a 2.5 year old. It will be paid D1 (toddler with her own seat) but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on if toddlers are allowed at all in D1 'due to the equipment'. I've googled it a lot and again gotten conflicting information. Anyone want to point me to the truth or have any personal experience with this?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sdadept
I've read some threads that say toddlers 2-4 years old are not allowed in D1 and others that say they are with approved seating? We are looking at a RT slc-lhr connecting through seattle (to virgin) for next year with what will be a 2.5 year old. It will be paid D1 (toddler with her own seat) but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on if toddlers are allowed at all in D1 'due to the equipment'. I've googled it a lot and again gotten conflicting information. Anyone want to point me to the truth or have any personal experience with this?
It depends on the equipment. Car seats can't be used if the seats are angled or have seat belts that have airbags which can't be disabled. There's no age restriction, just car seat.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It depends on the equipment. Car seats can't be used if the seats are angled or have seat belts that have airbags which can't be disabled. There's no age restriction, just car seat.
even this is confusing. So virgin upperclass on a 787 has 'angled' seats. Is that what you mean? so no matter what kind of carseat a toddler isn't allowed there?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:02 pm

so no matter what kind of carseat a toddler isn't allowed there?
Who said you have to use a car seat?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
even this is confusing. So virgin upperclass on a 787 has 'angled' seats. Is that what you mean? so no matter what kind of carseat a toddler isn't allowed there?
Correct.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
A toddler is allowed, but not a car seat. VS may have different types of seats and seat belts that would allow a car seat. You should call VS.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If a toddler is too old to be a lap kid, isn't the kid required to use a car seat or something similar?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If a toddler is too old to be a lap kid, isn't the kid required to use a car seat or something similar?
No.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Virgin Atlantic Flying with children

Premium and Upper Class
If you have a car seat, you may be aware that you can’t use them where airbags are fitted. As all of our Upper Class suites and the Premium seats on many of our aircraft have airbags you will be unable to use your own car seats.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Virgin Atlantic Flying with children

Quote:
Premium and Upper Class
If you have a car seat, you may be aware that you can’t use them where airbags are fitted. As all of our Upper Class suites and the Premium seats on many of our aircraft have airbags you will be unable to use your own car seats.
The wording of "unable to use your own" implies they would have car seats available. But it also says nothing about a child being required to use a car seat. So seems like child could just be buckled into the normal seat? Best bet is probably to call for clarification.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
The wording of "unable to use your own" implies they would have car seats available. But it also says nothing about a child being required to use a car seat. So seems like child could just be buckled into the normal seat? Best bet is probably to call for clarification.
Nothing of the sort is implied. Yes at long as can be securely restrained using a seat belt they can use the seat without a car seat.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nothing of the sort is implied. Yes at long as can be securely restrained using a seat belt they can use the seat without a car seat.
I don't know the rules but flew D1 RDU-CDG and saw a couple who both had small children with them. No one seemed to care. No car seats used.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:46 pm

I think they are saying the seatbelts have airbags inside them and you can not use them with a car seat /
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by drolen
I don't know the rules but flew D1 RDU-CDG and saw a couple who both had small children with them. No one seemed to care. No car seats used.
As long as no car seats used then it was technically ok.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
I think they are saying the seatbelts have airbags inside them and you can not use them with a car seat /
This is true but attaching a conventional seatbelt extender (which they have onboard for customers of size) disables the airbag and makes it safe for a child restraint. Says so right on the bottom of the belt.

So, no... there is no prohibition against kids 2-4 in D1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.