Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Come No Basic Economy On Award Tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

When my family of 5 has definite travel plans on very short flights that are unlikely to change I will often book BE to save money which can add up on 10 one-way tickets. How come DL doesn’t ever offer cheaper BE class on award tickets? Is it solely due to the free redeposit by PM/DM members or is there another obvious reason that I am missing?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Interesting thought. BE excludes certain elite benefits like upgrades and SDC, so if they introduced this they could say they're not eligible for free redeposit either.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Because we don't want it.

BE didn't bring fares down. It just restricted benefits on the cheapest fares.
strickerj, Zeeb, jinglish and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Because we don't want it.
Right, but we're dealing with the airlines here, when has that mattered?
strickerj and Dalewood like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Let's not give Delta any ideas...

They've already made SkyMiles hard enough to use; do you really want the only "affordable" award ticket to be one where you get zero benefits?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
"BE didn't bring fares down."

Correct. Alaska announced that they are planning to roll out a basic product, and that it will grow revenue by $100M thru ancillary fees. Not thru generating additional paid load factor, but thru fees.

And I agree - let's not give DL any ideas on further diluting award travel.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As others have said, basic economy is not a discount for wanting fewer features: it’s a surcharge for elites and business travelers for upgrades and seat assignments.

This is easy to prove when BE is introduced on new routes: just look at the fares of alliance partners. Repeatedly, AF/KL fares in “V” remain identical, while DL sells an “E” at the same price they were previously selling “V” for. (Multiple FT’ers have documented this with hard data in the past, including myself.)

It’s amazing that some people here vigorously defend the practice, when it’s aimed squarely at extracting money out of the FT demographic.
hi55us, ethernal, Gig103 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Please oh please don't give Delta any ideas. Award bookings are pretty cheap as it is, I've been able to book flights in the 5,000 to 10,000 miles range that would've usually costed me 25,000 miles. BE is horrid and did not bring fares down, it just replaced the older regular economy fare.
MCO Flyer, Gig103 and Spiff like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To change the topic a bit, some of the cheapest BE fares require a roundtrip purchase. You can't assume that all roundtrip fares are just the sum of two one-way's like on Southwest. Since you are price-sensitive, I'd suggest you look at round-trip BE pricing in addition to two one-ways as the flights may be cheaper that way. To give an example, the cheapest one-way BE fares on DTW-ATL are $139, while roundtrip BE fares on this route can actually be less than the one-way price as they are available for as little as $127 total.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 5, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Because BE are already terrible and we need them to reduce/get rid of them not expand them.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BE fares are here to stay. Large businesses see real value in them for cheap tickets because on a typical domestic penalty fare, the $200 fee wipes out the bulk of the value anyway.

They are not likely a good SM product because the entire purpose of cheaper award tickets is to use up unsold inventory. No need to go even lower.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Basic economy award tickets? What's lower than Skypesos, SkyBolivars?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Sorry everyone! It’s all my fault.
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Sorry everyone! It’s all my fault.
(not really at you)

For those who are not sure what Sydney is talking about:
Now that United, Delta, and American all offer Basic Economy fares (no advance seat assignment, no cancel/changes, no upgrades or extra legroom seats, and in United’s case no full-sized carry on bag) it’s only been a matter of time before one of the carriers tried booking award tickets into Basic Economy.I admit to being surprised that it’s happened so quickly, since it’s not in the best interests of the airline – it’s a bad business decision – but I’m not surprised that it appears to be Delta going first.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...basic-economy/

I notice that the new BE fares aren't cheaper, just like everything else basic it is an opportunity to raise prices on the full fare.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful what you wish for. Davetravels started a thread on the new Basic Economy award tickets, which seem to cost more miles than not just regular coach but also C+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.