Wiki Posts
Search

Booking with Air France question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hertz PC, IHG Gold
Booking with Air France question

I am currently a Delta silver medallion member and booking a flight BOS-LIS via CDG. I want to book with AF to get the 20% mileage flown MQD credit, but have some questions on how the rest of the reservation works.

1. Looking at the International Partner & SkyTeam® Benefits page on delta.com, I see that silver gets preferred seats on AF flights, but when booking the flight, it wants to charge me $$ to select any seat, let alone one further up front.
2. Based on my math, I will get gold medallion on my way there. Lounge access is listed as a included at gold medallion level, but the flight I'm picking says no lounge access on airfrance.us. How would I take advantage of this on the return journey?
3. Are silver/gold members eligible for complimentary upgrades as they would be on the Delta ticketed versions of the same flights (up to Comfort+).
4. I'm assuming this reservation will not show up in my Delta app even when linked to my Skymiles number, right?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Preferred seats do not exist on AF anymore since around 2014. They changed the scheme for "Seats at the front of the plane" which are only free for AF Ultimate, DL Diamond, AF Plat, DL Plat. Other DL/AF Elites receive a discount based on status (25% off for silver).

On the return just show your BP at the lounge. You will get access to the Premium lounge in LIS (really good wine selection!), AF check-in agents should give you more info, and also to the AF lounge in CDG.

No Comfort+ on AF so no complimentary upgrade. However, you will be able to reserve your seat in advance for the CDG-LIS-CDG flights.

The reservation will not show on the DL app but you can download the AF app which is very useful.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only AF U/K fares earn 20% mileage flown as MQD's. Are you sure you are purchasing one of those two fare classes? The more deeply discounted AF coach fare classes only earn 5 - 10% of mileage flown as MQD's.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 26, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
If you're purchasing an AF marketed flight, but DL operated flight, you can pull up that flight in the app and on the site. For those flights, you will get free preferred seating but nothing else.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you're booking the DL operate flight BOS-CDG under an AF marketed code, you'll get upgraded to C+. However only DoD at the airport. Same goes for any DL operated flight booked as codeshare. You still get upgraded, but no window upgrades, only DoD airport upgrades.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
If you're purchasing an AF marketed flight, but DL operated flight, you can pull up that flight in the app and on the site. For those flights, you will get free preferred seating but nothing else.
As I mentioned on my previous post, "preferred seating" is a thing of the past on AF. These seats were replaced by the "seat in front of the plane" with a charge to have the privilege of leaving the airplane sooner than the rest.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
As I mentioned on my previous post, "preferred seating" is a thing of the past on AF. These seats were replaced by the "seat in front of the plane" with a charge to have the privilege of leaving the airplane sooner than the rest.

​​​​​​And as I wrote in my post, if it's a Delta operated flight there is preferred seating and it is free...
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Another AF question -- We booked our HSV>CDG D1 (Z) itinerary through the AF website just so I could use a couple of AF EU vouchers they gave us for a very minor nuisance that happened on our JFK>TLV flight a few months ago. All of the legs look like they're on DL metal.

Will the MQDs / MQMs accrue normally, or as the % of miles flown?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Another AF question -- We booked our HSV>CDG D1 (Z) itinerary through the AF website just so I could use a couple of AF EU vouchers they gave us for a very minor nuisance that happened on our JFK>TLV flight a few months ago. All of the legs look like they're on DL metal.

Will the MQDs / MQMs accrue normally, or as the % of miles flown?
Strictly goes by how the flight is marketed. If DL, DL earnings apply, if AF marketed, use the AF earnings page, etc...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
If you're purchasing an AF marketed flight, but DL operated flight, you can pull up that flight in the app and on the site.
My upcoming AF-marketed, DL-operated itinerary showed on the Delta website/app right after booking.
My upcoming AF-marketed/operated itinerary only showed up on the AF website — until I attached my SkyMiles number. Now it doesn’t show anywhere! (Well I can pull it up on AF.com with the PNR.)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon

My upcoming AF-marketed, DL-operated itinerary showed on the Delta website/app right after booking.
My upcoming AF-marketed/operated itinerary only showed up on the AF website — until I attached my SkyMiles number. Now it doesn’t show anywhere! (Well I can pull it up on AF.com with the PNR.)
I've had this happen but on Delta's website. I'm pretty sure it's the same with AF. Basically the systems on the websites/apps only show your your reservations that have your FFN, Skymiles for Delta/Flying Blue for AirFrance attached to. If you add in your Skymiles number on the AF website, it wont know where to look to show you anything. To fix that, you need to search for your reservation via the booking confirmation number or ticket number to make changes to it. it's not gone anywhere, and it'll credit to Delta, you just can't see it. Last year when I was crediting everything to AFKLM I would lose my reservation from Delta.com. BUT, if I followed the link in my email to the reservation, on my phone, it would pull up in the Delta App and would stay there, so I could see it, but credit it to AF. Maybe you could do the same with the AF app?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I just installed the mobile app and it looks like it saved the reservation once I imported it with the record locator. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.