Mininmum Check-In Time DUB-USA

Old Jul 30, 18, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Mininmum Check-In Time DUB-USA

My kid is going to Ireland for a short study abroad trip. According to what I was able to find at DL.com, when returning from Dub to US, she will need to Be checked in 4 hours early.

However, the group handling her transfers has her scheduled to arrive around 3 hours early. I had her call the company handling the trip planning to get some clarification.

In the meantime, I thought I’d get some expert advice.

My my only question really is: Will she need to insist that they get her to the airport to meet s 4 hr. security/bag check/check-in procedure?

thanks!

Old Jul 30, 18, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
3 hours is fine. This topic comes up time to time. Checkin normally isn't open till 3 hours prior.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Yup - practically speaking, 3 hours will be fine. The 4 figure is probably to scare you into not cutting it close, because the formalities of navigating the awful preclearance nightmare at DUB can legitimately take up to 2 hours as a no-status passenger.

(That said, Delta could choose to play hardball if the tour operator is late and 3 hours becomes less, because they did list 4 hours as the minimum. But I think this is highly unlikely.)
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. About the only thing I ever get uptight about is making it to the airport in time.
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Wow. I opened this thread assuming I'd look up the minimum time and post that 4 hours was a suggestion, not a minimum. But it actually appears to be the minimum! That's really crazy, not to mention uncompetitive. AA, for example, posts a 75 minute minimum at DUB.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
Wow. I opened this thread assuming I'd look up the minimum time and post that 4 hours was a suggestion, not a minimum. But it actually appears to be the minimum! That's really crazy, not to mention uncompetitive. AA, for example, posts a 75 minute minimum at DUB.
Yeah, that's what kinda raised my radar. It specifies that as the minimum. Hopefully, the other posters with experience are correct. Otherwise, hopefully the company and SDSU will be willing to fix the mess if they've screwed up.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
United also only asks for a minimum of 75 min for check in at DUB. I guess Delta's check-in counters at DUB must be really fancy and attractive so that people don't want to leave!
wrp96 and CalVol like this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I have flown DUB->US about 6 times.

Short answer is that 3 hours is reasonable. DL will not cut off checkin that early.

Long answer:

. You first have to deal with the check-in process which includes a screening so no zip right through option. As a ST+ w/o bags it takes me about 10 minutes on average, but I guess the masses could take 30 minutes.

. Then standard security, not that bad.

. Then you need to get to US Pre-Clear. This entails another security check and US immegration process.

I usually plan to get to the airport at about T-3;30, but always have plenty of time for a few beers.
CalVol likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
As others have posted, 3 hours is more than reasonable (and with status and/or GE 2 is probably fine) - but DUB is quite literally a disaster and I have no doubt that on rare occasion getting to the airport three hours early has resulted in a missed flight. It is perfectly emblematic of the nonsense that is to-US international travel. While not every airport will have pre-clearance, more and more airports have secondary screening processes for US-bound passengers, more and more airports now disallow online check-in, and so on. Expect airport minimums to continue to needlessly rise overseas for US-bound flights as time goes on...
CalVol likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Plat Premier Elite; Long live SPG... f MAR
I've done this flight many times. 3 hours is probably ok, but the pre-clearance setup can be an absolute nightmare there. GE does not help you here for some dumb-... reason. With GE, I've waited 2.5 hours to get through security, which is before customs. If you have GE, you still have to wait for everyone else to get through before you can use GE to cut the second line. One time I got SSSS'd and there was one person doing SSSS screenings and an entire youth soccer team was ahead of me, with only the coach appearing to speak English. I stood in the same spot, without moving a step for 30 minutes. The staff was totally useless.

I've also gone through in 30 minutes and had to kill lots of time. There's squat in the DL terminal post-security. It's a clusterf* of a setup.
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Long, long thread on same in AA forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ree-etc-6.html
As others have noted, three hours is more than fine ... likely too long ...
If you want to be overly-prepared you could purchase Fast Track security access for EUR7.00 on the Dublin Airport website ... that will lessen the amount of time standing in line at the "regular" screening process before heading downstairs to USCBP
CalVol likes this.