Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Card Skymiles Bonus - why reported in 2 parts - no speculation please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Card Skymiles Bonus - why reported in 2 parts - no speculation please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

Here is a fact that may or may not affect you so I will not speculate on your case. Delta and Amex were limited at one point on the fact that miles were transfered and limited by the old "main frame" 8 byte numbers or was it 16 bytes with a sum error check? I am going to stop now because I am speculating.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:41 am

For years and years, this has been the dealio.

Delta runs IBM...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:19 am

What geek CALLS to check mileage transactions instead of logging in online or using the app?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
What geek CALLS to check mileage transactions instead of logging in online or using the app?
I routinely fax in a request for my statement to be faxed back to me. I love the sound of my dot matrix printer spitting it out...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I don't care if it gets me banned, fined, imprisoned, or executed - I'm gonna speculate!

A lot of airlines and banks are either running ancient computer systems, or are limited by rules that were in place in ancient computer systems due to old software that was written in accordance with their limitations. "Legacy systems".

If we're looking at a binary number, the maximum value it can hold is 2^x where x is the number of binary digits (bits) we have to work with. If it's a signed number (i,e, can be positive or negative) you need a bit to hold the sign so it's max value is 2^x-1.

Bits tend to get parceled out in bytes, or groups of 8 due to the way memory addressing works. 2 bytes, or 16 bits at a time would make sense.

So my speculative theory is that on either of the two parties sides, they're limited to working in 2 byte batches for Skymiles. And since they can probably both add or remove them they need a negative. That gives them a range of -32768 to 32768 they can work with at a time. As to why it's 28,000 and 32,000 and not 32,768 and 27,232 I'd bet that the latter pair just looks to weird.

I think we'd need an insider from one or both of the IT departments to know for sure though.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Ah, I assumed 16 bits - 15 for digits and one for sign. But it could have been 15 for digits and a check bit - that would give a range of either -32,768 to 0 or 0 to 32,768
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Originally Posted by smc333
Ah, I assumed ........
Never assume.........
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by landgraf13
I routinely fax in a request for my statement to be faxed back to me. I love the sound of my dot matrix printer spitting it out...
Don't knock the dot! I still use the one I bought 20 years ago. Love the sound.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smc333
I don't care if it gets me banned, fined, imprisoned, or executed - I'm gonna speculate!
What if speculation gets you stuck on a CR2 for all future flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.