Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Westin in-flight bedding in Delta One business-class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Has anyone heard if the Westin blankets and pillows in Delta One business-class are on their way out?

I presume Marriott is in talks with United and Delta at the present, as it seems too quiet.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Has anyone heard if the Westin blankets and pillows in Delta One business-class are on their way out?

I presume Marriott is in talks with United and Delta at the present, as it seems too quiet.
Why would UA be in talks? They only a year ago went to Saks Fifth Avenue branded bedding. No reason DL needs to change. Despite Crossover Rewards DL never had a particularly tight relationship with Starwood. I believe Westin bedding predates that program.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why would UA be in talks?
Over whether Marriott will have an exclusive agreement with United or whether it will allow legacy Starwood's relationship with Delta to continue.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:43 am

Given Delta's recent brand positioning (higher style) I could see them move to W branded bedding. The current bedding, while class-leading when it debuted, is no longer top of the class when it comes to style.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Over whether Marriott will have an exclusive agreement with United or whether it will allow legacy Starwood's relationship with Delta to continue.
Why does an arrangement have to be exclusive in all elements? Branded bedding is a long way from reciprocal elite benefits.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by M2578Z
Given Delta's recent brand positioning (higher style) I could see them move to W branded bedding. The current bedding, while class-leading when it debuted, is no longer top of the class when it comes to style.
W is just another Marriott/Starwood brand, though - in fact, it’s derived from the Westin brand. If they were changing branding from Westin because of partnership renegotiation, W wouldn’t be the target.

(I also disagree with the principle here; Delta is positioning themselves as a premium carrier, but I don’t see them as successfully having made a Virgin-esque play for trendiness.)
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I do think the bedding is far past ready for a refresh. If they were going to try to stay in the SPG collection I think they'd do well to offer a higher luxury bedding, with a mattress pad, and brand it as St. Regis, if they wanted to stick with a hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I hear Tom Bodette and Delta are negotiating for Motel 6 bedding.
SeaHawg, dc2005b, emrdoc and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I hear Tom Bodette and Delta are negotiating for Motel 6 bedding.
Great. Probably means the overhead light will always be on.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BenA

W is just another Marriott/Starwood brand, though - in fact, it’s derived from the Westin brand. If they were changing branding from Westin because of partnership renegotiation, W wouldn’t be the target.

(I also disagree with the principle here; Delta is positioning themselves as a premium carrier, but I don’t see them as successfully having made a Virgin-esque play for trendiness.)
Yeah, I don't really see W's brand lining up with DL's. Westin always just kind of seemed like a good match for DL's style. Maybe JW Marriott or Le Meridien or something if they were to change it up?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I believe you missed my point. UA just went a year ago with SAKS Fifth Ave. Why would they be negotiating bedding only a year later?

Secondly bedding is most likely a wholly different unit/company from the hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Is this anything other than selling advertising? Same with meals, drinks, aminitty kits and whatever.

There is nothing on a plane that is actually made by these name brands. They simply put their name on it as a mutual deal where both parties get free PR.
SeaHawg and pvn like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Is this anything other than selling advertising? Same with meals, drinks, aminitty kits and whatever.

There is nothing on a plane that is actually made by these name brands. They simply put their name on it as a mutual deal where both parties get free PR.

Well, to be fair, the actual hotel bedding is the same setup. SPG does not manufacture textiles. I do, however, think that the duvets are a similar material the hotel bedding.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Wasn't the Westin bedding introduced shortly after the SPG tie up (crossover rewards)? I could see DL (eventually) moving away from a branded product from a company that is associated with its competitor, and it's not like there aren't other hotel options available...
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bennos
Wasn't the Westin bedding introduced shortly after the SPG tie up (crossover rewards)? I could see DL (eventually) moving away from a branded product from a company that is associated with its competitor, and it's not like there aren't other hotel options available...
However it's not associated with UA. UA went with SAKS FIFTH AVENUE for it's bedding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.