Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SAT GA gate checking my bag.....No soup for you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:54 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

So I was traveling heavy today and approached GA about gate checking my bag. Thought it would be nice of me to bring my bag up early before GA started making continuous announcements about how they will run out of overhead space. This was about 25 minutes before boarding. I got the classic Delta GA scold and the “what the hell do you think you are doing look”. So FYI do not volunteer your bag until the screeching over the PA system asking for bags starts!

Tried again to gate check my bag before boarding and was promptly told that NO gate checking will be happening. Come on Delta, your stories do not align.

Last edited by SSF556; Jul 27, 2018 at 4:14 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta, United
What story are you looking to have align? I typically only hear announcements about gate checking after the GA looks at the flight manifests and determines that the flight is going to be "full" and as such likely run of overhead baggage space. Sounds like your flight was not a full flight so there was no need to preemptively ask for people to check their bags regardless if there was an announcement or not.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So what happened? Were the OH's full when you boarded? If not, the GA made the right judgment. Even if full, it's all just an estimate.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
What story are you looking to have align? I typically only hear announcements about gate checking after the GA looks at the flight manifests and determines that the flight is going to be "full" and as such likely run of overhead baggage space. Sounds like your flight was not a full flight so there was no need to preemptively ask for people to check their bags regardless if there was an announcement or not.
What story? Are you living under a rock? The excessive and often annoying continous harping by the GA about overhead space on every domestic Delta flight being full on the PA system for every Delta flight in the last 2 years.

FYI ...OH spce was full and several bags got gate checked.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by SSF556

What story? Are you living under a rock? The excessive and often annoying continous harping by the GA about overhead space on every domestic Delta flight being full on the PA system for every Delta flight in the last 2 years.

FYI ...OH spce was full and several bags got gate checked.
Well they don't make that announcement on every Delta flight. But you in fact know that, because for the flight you started the post about, according to you, they didn't make that announcement...

And the fact that they make the announcement on most flights doesn't mean they have to gate check baggage on all flights. So, the "story" that they weren't going to preemptively gate check bags on your flight is not at odds with the "story" that they make the announcements to gate check bags on most flights.

And the fact that they eventually had to gate check bags doesn't mean it was a certainty when the GA told you they weren't gate checking bags. Something makes me think you went up to the GA with a "before you make that annoying announcement that everyone has gotten so tired of regarding gate checking bags, can you gate check my bag so maybe you don't have to annoy everyone here" type statement, and that's why you got the look and attitude you got.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Do you have free checked bags through status or credit card? Because if I were a GA, I might have a tendency to avoid gate checking bags from the people who come before we even say we need to do so. I imagine there are some people who try to game the system by not checking downstairs when they would have to pay, but go right to the gate and get it "free". Otherwise, why didn't you just check the bag at check-in?
dulciusexasperis and Statman like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Do you have free checked bags through status or credit card? Because if I were a GA, I might have a tendency to avoid gate checking bags from the people who come before we even say we need to do so. I imagine there are some people who try to game the system by not checking downstairs when they would have to pay, but go right to the gate and get it "free". Otherwise, why didn't you just check the bag at check-in?
I do have free checked bags. Delta allowing people to gate check bags for free is not my problem.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I got the classic Delta GA scold and the “what the hell do you think you are doing look”.
That is funny right there.

I try and avoid most GA... for that very reason.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
If the OP packed a carry-on compliant bag that cleared TSA screening, then offered to gate check it, OP is not availing of the same checked baggage service that DL charges $25+ for at the counter, IMO. Most people check their luggage because the size/number/contents are not acceptable as carry-on luggage, not because they're ok with carrying it through security and the airport, but don't want to carry it on & off the plane and would rather wait at the destination to retrieve it at bag claim. I've had situations where I'm on biz-heavy flights on Monday mornings and know that *everyone* has a roller bag and *everyone* is top-tier elite, so in those cases I've sometimes gone ahead and checked my bag, but as OP mentioned, those are the flights with ubiquitous PA announcements asking or forcing people to gate check for free anyway.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
SO you tried to get your bag checked for free and things didn't go super smoothly?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
SO you tried to get your bag checked for free and things didn't go super smoothly?
status allows me free checked bags. Given what I have heard yelled at me for the last 2 years at the gate about overhead storage I volunteered my bag to be gate checked to GSP. GA was like NO. Which surpised me. Also I was told this by both GAs, so there was some coordinating. If I would have known GA was going to deny me a gate check I would have counter checked.

PSA. For casual bag checkers do not rely on gate check.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
Personally, I appreciate the data point and am surprised that you were shot down. I’m not saying it’s worth a complaint and attempt at compensation but it’s interesting to me. I fly every two weeks and I hear the request to gate check carryons more often than not. I assumed it was a Delta policy and that the agent wasn’t really basing their announcement on equipment or load factors given that most flights are full these days anyway.

My wife and kids travel without me 3-4 times each year (usually on my miles) and as a group of no status flyers, I always suggest she gate check bags that she doesn’t want to pay for and/or can’t easily carry through a connection. She’s never been denied but I also never thought it was a possibility. Now I know.
defrosted likes this.

Last edited by nethak; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

status allows me free checked bags. Given what I have heard yelled at me for the last 2 years at the gate about overhead storage I volunteered my bag to be gate checked to GSP. GA was like NO. Which surpised me. Also I was told this by both GAs, so there was some coordinating. If I would have known GA was going to deny me a gate check I would have counter checked.

PSA. For casual bag checkers do not rely on gate check.
If that is the case, I'm struggling to understand why you didn't just check the bag to begin with. There seems to be no logic in your behaviour. The behaviour of the GA on the other hand seems quite logical. They hadn't decided whether they believed gate checking would be necessary and they are understandably wary of people who don't want to pay to check a bag and try to get around that by gate checking. What would have told them that you were not one of those people?

What is a 'casual bag checker' and who 'relys on gate checking"?
Statman and emrdoc like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

As an aside, it would be interesting to hear how you connect the, "no soup for you" in your title, to the occurrence you describe. It appears you are referring to Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. In that story, Oliver was refused more soup, which he asked for because he was still hungry after having had one bowl of soup. How do you connect to that?

It sounds like you have a very unique way of viewing what consider to be a logical connection.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
What is a 'casual bag checker' and who 'relys on gate checking"?
Not me... but maybe someone that missed counter check cutoff?

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
As an aside, it would be interesting to hear how you connect the, "no soup for you" in your title, to the occurrence you describe. It appears you are referring to Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist.
You are kidding right? My guess is this is clearly a Seinfeld reference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.