Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galley curtain closure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Galley curtain closure

Has anyone else noticed, at least anecdotally, increased closure of the galley curtain, even on domestic flights? I've flown between Los Angeles–Honolulu six times in the last month as well as thrice between Los Angeles–Austin. In each instance, on varying 757 as well as A319 aircrafts, the galley curtains were closed, even during the daytime. I don't remember seeing this before on domestic flights.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I remember something about curtains not being allowed to block the view of the cockpit door, so I'm assuming you are talking about galley "side" curtains. My only thought is that the curtains allow First Class to be darker for sleeping.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RRDD
I remember something about curtains not being allowed to block the view of the cockpit door, so I'm assuming you are talking about galley "side" curtains. My only thought is that the curtains allow First Class to be darker for sleeping.
US airlines don't allow curtains in the aisle that can't be seen through. Strange as all other airlines seem to get along fine. Including not making every one sit down when pilot wants to take an 1, 2, or if they're a Boov a 3.
planetmans likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
BOOV?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by lov2fly
BOOV?
Boov | Alien Species | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
US airlines don't allow curtains in the aisle that can't be seen through. Strange as all other airlines seem to get along fine. Including not making every one sit down when pilot wants to take an 1, 2, or if they're a Boov a 3.
All other airlines didn't have their aircraft used as weapons to be flown into the side of a skyscraper. While I think the U.S. airlines may overdo it a little, given their experience, I think their overly cautious attitude can be forgiven. It can't be that much of an inconvenience to remain seated for a few minutes while the pilots pee.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:54 pm

It's funny you mention this today. I flew SLC-LGB and back last week, on SkyWest E175s and the galley curtain was closed both times. I wondered about it because it just looked like it was in the way while the FA was running back and forth during beverage service.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:24 pm

That’s great news. Most premium international carriers are very diligent in keeping the curtain closed and noise from the galley to a minimum. It really makes the cabin feel more private too. Glad Delta is catching on.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
It's funny you mention this today. I flew SLC-LGB and back last week, on SkyWest E175s and the galley curtain was closed both times. I wondered about it because it just looked like it was in the way while the FA was running back and forth during beverage service.
SJC-SEA yesterday and the curtain was closed. It caught my attention for the same reason as yours.
Will see if SEA-LAS will be the same next week.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
There seems to be enough anecdotal evidence that something changed.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:26 pm

I've noticed this extensively on OO and CP operated flights. Flared up the last 6-9 months to the point of being routine. Can't say I've noticed it on DL but me's thinks there have been some training changes or service standard changes as it pertains to the curtain that closes off the forward galley.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
All other airlines didn't have their aircraft used as weapons to be flown into the side of a skyscraper. While I think the U.S. airlines may overdo it a little, given their experience, I think their overly cautious attitude can be forgiven. It can't be that much of an inconvenience to remain seated for a few minutes while the pilots pee.
True. However they recognize that no one is going to allow somebody onto the cockpit. Crew and passengers will stop it.

Regardless, if it was only a couple minutes, fine. However they roll the cart out, wait, pilot comes out, chats, chats more, finally goes to restroom, chats more, goes back, then you wait for next pilot to come out and repeat. I can't remember it taking less than half hour recently. All the while no lav for front cabin to use. No service being provided, etc... OALs were just as effected that day, they fly in US airspace, but don't do this silliness. Some won't even allow front cabin passengers to stand up.

There's just no reason for it.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I would be really happy if this was a new memo/service directive sent to FAs. The galley lights can be VERY bright, especially when the cabin is dark, and it's really not nice if you are trying to watch TV or use a computer. If you are close enough and at the right angle, the lights come through eye masks when trying to sleep. The galley appropriately has bright lights for prepping and other work, while the cabin is intended to be calm and, on many flights, rather dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.