Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to arrive at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Time to arrive at LHR?

Any recent experience with how soon to arrive at LHR? 10 am flight.
We will have bags to check but should have access to premium check-in. Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The official Heathrow website recommendation is 2 hours for UK/European, and 3 hours for longhaul and El Al.
https://www.heathrow.com/departures/checking-in

Delta agrees with 3 hours for international to/from the USA (a bit of an assumption on my part)
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...uirements.html

Do you have premium check-in because of a premium cabin ticket or Skyteam status? I guess I'm thinking about how bad security lanes can be at LHR and I dunno if you'll get the Fast Track lane (not that Fast Track doesn't have to be slow, it certainly can be). Heathrow doesn't usually announce your gate until 45 minutes before departure, and given the size of the airport you often want to start heading to the gate as soon as you know where it is.

I'd err on the side of the 2+ and use a lounge if you get through quickly. But I am not as seasoned an LHR passengers as many are though.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
If you have access to the Club House either via cabin or status, that's worth arriving a bit early for IMO. It's an impressive lounge with very nice food (better than you would get on the plane).
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG
2 hours should be fine, more if you want the proper VS clubhouse experience (meal, massage, etc). Assuming you have an Upper Class/D1 seat or status, you can use the VS dedicated check-in (far left end of the check-in hall, but also has its own entrance from the curb). That gives you dedicated security as well.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
If you have clubhouse access, the whole checkin and security process is about 5 minutes. It's awesome. However I get to LHR really early cuz I want to have a full meal and a spa treatment there. If you are GM, then you get the No.1 Lounge (which I think is a PP lounge too).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

We checked our bags at SkyPriority lanes, where D1/VS Upper Class were also checking in, if I remember correctly. We then went up in the elevator and went through security there, which was extremely quick and were treated very nicely, much better than PreCheck lanes domestically. You then have to go through the terminal to the Virgin Clubhouse, which really is nice. The drinks at the bar there are better than some I had at high end craft cocktail bars in London. I understand they were designed by some superstar bartenders who trained the staff in the lounge. Very uncrowded too, with no problems getting a spa appointment, etc. This is probably one of the nicest perks of having Delta status I have experienced.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by flyerslc
We checked our bags at SkyPriority lanes, where D1/VS Upper Class were also checking in, if I remember correctly. We then went up in the elevator and went through security there, which was extremely quick and were treated very nicely, much better than PreCheck lanes domestically. You then have to go through the terminal to the Virgin Clubhouse, which really is nice. The drinks at the bar there are better than some I had at high end craft cocktail bars in London. I understand they were designed by some superstar bartenders who trained the staff in the lounge. Very uncrowded too, with no problems getting a spa appointment, etc. This is probably one of the nicest perks of having Delta status I have experienced.
I've only used the clubhouse twice (3rd time in a couple of weeks). I can't recommend it enough - especially versus what we are used to w/ Delta clubs.

If you have D1 seats or decent status I agree that the entire security thing is pretty quick. I just have to remember to bring a quart bag w/ me as there's no US-type pre-check.

I try to get departing flights closer to noon than 10:00am so I can sleep in a bit and still enjoy the clubhouse.

I have some coworkers who've had access but decided not to use it and just went to sit at the gate. They are not Flyertalkers

p.s. And for those that don't know you have access (w/ right ticket/status) to the 'Revivals' lounge on arrival as well. That is awesome too. No booze but coffee/food and they'll press your clothes while you take a shower. Another hat tip to FTer's.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I would just add that rush hour traffic from the city to LHR is absolutely horrendous during weekdays. I’d budget 90-120 minutes from Canary Wharf at the time you’d likely be leaving for the airport.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acrophobia
I would just add that rush hour traffic from the city to LHR is absolutely horrendous during weekdays. I’d budget 90-120 minutes from Canary Wharf at the time you’d likely be leaving for the airport.
I've found that taking the Heathrow Express (15 min direct) in the morning is the best way almost no matter where I am in central London.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.