Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and KLM both promise me a 55 min transfer at AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Flying BCN to AMS on (real) KLM, and connecting to DL to Seattle. I'm aware of the Fast Track and short connection passport lanes, but do I also have to factor time for a security check, or is an intra-Schengen flight considered safe? And will the Delta US flights pre-check desk let the gate know if we're running late?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cbastian
Flying BCN to AMS on (real) KLM, and connecting to DL to Seattle. I'm aware of the Fast Track and short connection passport lanes, but do I also have to factor time for a security check, or is an intra-Schengen flight considered safe? And will the Delta US flights pre-check desk let the gate know if we're running late?
No security check when going Schengen to non-Schengen in AMS. As you indicate, you will have to make a stop at D1 or E1 for the mandatory security interview, but there's a lane for short connections, and the actual interview process only takes about a minute or two. You won't have time to wander around to shop, but if there's any airport where i'd feel confident doing that connection, it'd be AMS.

I can't speak to the notification from D1/E1 if you're running late, but FWIW, even though DL has signage about gates closing 20 minutes (or maybe it's 30 minutes?) prior to departure, I've seen people board as soon as 5 mins before the door closes.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cbastian
There is no security check if arriving from the US or Schengen countries. There is a security check if arriving from Asia or Africa (I think those are the distinctions). Arriving from countries that require a security check you go to the upper level of the concourses are are cycled through a common security check.
I had 2 short connections in AMS in the last month -- US arrival to Schengen was about 65 minutes -- in the morning rush -- showed my boarding pass and was sent through the short connection line at EU passport control.
And Schengen (mid C gate) arrival to Asia departure from a high F gate, because of delay that was only 40 minutes. Made it with time to spare. Again, went through the short connection line at passport control.
55 minutes is doable, but tight.
Bags may not make it if they are checked.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cory6188
and the actual interview process only takes about a minute or two.
Unless you get a talkative agent -- last week the guy interviewing me on the SP side wanted to know about how I liked Budapest and tell me what he thought of it. Maybe it was part of a heightened security check because he though I might be a risk?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mot29
Unless you get a talkative agent -- last week the guy interviewing me on the SP side wanted to know about how I liked Budapest and tell me what he thought of it. Maybe it was part of a heightened security check because he though I might be a risk?
Last time coming back from Slovakia through Amsterdam the guy interviewing me acted like I was coming back from Syria or something. He wanted to know exactly what I did, why I went there, how I booked my tickets, among others. He wanted my boarding pass from my flights into the EU as well. He also asked how long my flights and bus rides were between the cities I visited. It was quite odd. It really depends on the agent I guess.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's a legal connection. Think of it as domestic arrival to international departure. Bags beat people routinely.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Last time coming back from Slovakia through Amsterdam the guy interviewing me acted like I was coming back from Syria or something. He wanted to know exactly what I did, why I went there, how I booked my tickets, among others. He wanted my boarding pass from my flights into the EU as well. He also asked how long my flights and bus rides were between the cities I visited. It was quite odd. It really depends on the agent I guess.
Wow - that does sound extreme. Also, what would've happened if you didn't have your inbound BPs? As soon as I see my flights post to my SM account, I usually toss them, so chances are slim that I would've had them.

Must be a randomization strategy or something, just to catch people off guard so they don't get used to the routine.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The last few flights from AMS-->US I've been on KLM, no annoying security questions!!
There are also the same people standing outside the KLM 52 lounge which never has anyone. I'll be doing that there at the end of the month.

Also they have the automated gates for passport control now for US citizens. I didn't use that since that line looked longer than the security officer one.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP, what is (fake) KLM?

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
The last few flights from AMS-->US I've been on KLM, no annoying security questions!!
All pax go through security interview for US bound flights, inciuding KLM. Some are conducted at check-in/bag drop (landside); while others at the gate (airside).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Wow - that does sound extreme. Also, what would've happened if you didn't have your inbound BPs? As soon as I see my flights post to my SM account, I usually toss them, so chances are slim that I would've had them.

Must be a randomization strategy or something, just to catch people off guard so they don't get used to the routine.
I didn’t. I showed him my airline ID and that seemed to prompt more questions. A supervisor talked with me as well. It seemed like he had to verify that my answers were right because the guy didn’t seem to know anything about Slovakia.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Delete.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
In my only experience of a tight connection at AMS, KL simply gave away my seat although I made it to the gate mid-way through boarding.
Beware in case your incoming is delayed.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP, what is (fake) KLM?

All pax go through security interview for US bound flights, inciuding KLM. Some are conducted at check-in/bag drop (landside); while others at the gate (airside).
No, KLM doesn't do the security interview. Only thing KLM does is have selectees get an extra bag screening at the gate.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
There is no security check if arriving from the US or Schengen countries. There is a security check if arriving from Asia or Africa (I think those are the distinctions). Arriving from countries that require a security check you go to the upper level of the concourses are are cycled through a common security check.
I had 2 short connections in AMS in the last month -- US arrival to Schengen was about 65 minutes -- in the morning rush -- showed my boarding pass and was sent through the short connection line at EU passport control.
And Schengen (mid C gate) arrival to Asia departure from a high F gate, because of delay that was only 40 minutes. Made it with time to spare. Again, went through the short connection line at passport control.
55 minutes is doable, but tight.
Bags may not make it if they are checked.
EU considers security check in US, Canada, Montenegro, and EU/Schengen countries to be sufficient to not warrant another. Any other countries will result in needing a second check before connecting.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
There are also the same people standing outside the KLM 52 lounge which never has anyone. I'll be doing that there at the end of the month.

Haven't been at Lounge 52 in the afternoon for my last 2 returns -- end of May and end of June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.