Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Web Interface Doesn't Believe Customers Know Airport Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Web Interface Doesn't Believe Customers Know Airport Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I actually like the new interface, it's cleaner. You can just ignore everything below the top tab. And I'm not one to be soft on lousy site upgrades. Still haven't forgiven BikeShare for theirs.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by pvn
Guys, it's important to remember that "the new website" will have bugs and they can be fixed. Minor behavior things aren't necessarily by design and they can be adjusted without re-writing the entire "new website".

Also, more importantly, the reason they're only showing the new site to a portion of users is that they're testing it.
There's an old saying in tech startups that goes something like if you're happy with your first release you released too late. I don't know if that's true or not, but every product has "bugs" and for something as minor as the tabbing not working correctly, I don't think that necessitates holding off on the launch, especially when they have a captive audience that isn't going to leave delta because of the website.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Well, it is crystal clear that Delta is after the infrequent travelers and doesn't really care much about business or frequent fliers. So, the dullta.com site is simply designed for the target Delta demographic.
the oddest part is those people are way more likely to use Kayak or Expedia than we are
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unfortunately while the interface looks nicer/cleaner, it does end up creating more navigation and clicking to get the same task accomplished.

This seems to be trend with websites now... make slick looking site that makes you use a bunch of pulldown menus that you can't really shortcut by typing.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My issue is that the new site insists that the airport 1:20 away from my house is my home airport rather than the bigger and higher volume airport 20 minutes away is the airport I want to start a search from while at home.

No problems changing it back to VPS, which is good because no one can ever remember what the name proper is supposed to be of the airport this month. (I've even seen VPS listed as both Destin-Ft. Walton Beach and Ft. Walton Beach on screens in different terminals for the same flight back home from ATL)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Works fine for me. LGA. Enter. Tab. ORD. Enter. Tab. Tab. O/R. Only thing I need the mouse for is to select the dates.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Plat
You'll get used to it. People tend to resist change. I think the new site is pretty nice.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
My issue is that the new site insists that the airport 1:20 away from my house is my home airport rather than the bigger and higher volume airport 20 minutes away is the airport I want to start a search from while at home.

No problems changing it back to VPS, which is good because no one can ever remember what the name proper is supposed to be of the airport this month. (I've even seen VPS listed as both Destin-Ft. Walton Beach and Ft. Walton Beach on screens in different terminals for the same flight back home from ATL)
For some reason the old site would assume I was at MME (Durham Tees Valley airport) rather than LHR or LGW.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by koreanair720
the oddest part is those people are way more likely to use Kayak or Expedia than we are
True, though given the buggy delta.com more and more often I'll put often together the itinerary on ITA Matrix, then go to bookwithmatrix, that will take me back to delta.com to book the itinerary that I want, as often you just can't get it on delta.com directly (search results seem to be determined to hide some of the most logical, shortest routing and lowest price options), or even if you can it errors out sooner or later.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
My issue has been that the new site insists my home airport is PTK, not DTW. I've deleted and then re-added DTW to my profile at home airport code without luck. Since PTK isn't even a DL airport, it's particularly annoying, although PTK is the closest airport in miles from both my work/home computers. Tried for 20 minutes with DL tech support on the phone to correct and the same amount of time with my firm's IT dept. to no avail. Some day . . . . . .
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The new website seems to not want to offer partner airlines for award bookings. Exception is if there is zero DL flights to city. Ie AMS-LAX even though there's award space on KLM on days I'm searching, only DL options via ATL, SLC, JFK, etc are provided. Even going as far as giving double connects, but refusing to show partner options . Seems like the changes are more than just cosmetic.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The new website seems to not want to offer partner airlines for award bookings. Exception is if there is zero DL flights to city. Ie AMS-LAX even though there's award space on KLM on days I'm searching, only DL options via ATL, SLC, JFK, etc are provided. Even going as far as giving double connects, but refusing to show partner options . Seems like the changes are more than just cosmetic.
I'm able to search and see partner awards on the new website. For example, I'm showing VS availability on JFK-LHR - both for the dates I currently already have an LHR-JFK award on VS booked and for various random dates (including seeing some 75K J awards on VS on various random days I put in). Also seeing MU redemptions to PVG. Also seeing some AF awards (economy) to LAX for random dates. I admit it's been a while since I've seen TATL J awards on AF/KL but I was noticing that even before DL rolled out the new web interface.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:56 pm

My first thought was this should cut down on people booking tickets for the wrong airport because they assumed San Jose was SAN, for example.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If so, that is bad news indeed.

What results do you get when you search for the same on m.delta.com? And in the app?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by live5
You'll get used to it. People tend to resist change. I think the new site is pretty nice.
I think that the new site LOOKS pretty nice. Functionality is another thing.

The old site allowed me to filter my search results by connecting airport. That's gone now. I am also getting ridiculous errors, like when searching for a flight from ATL-SLC, I got a screen that said that neither Delta nor it's partners fly between the selected airports. When entering the initial search information, there is a box to input connecting airport. I enter PVG and my search results in 15 options, all of which connect at ICN while not displaying the 15 options via PVG that I can find on ITA.

Attractive aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.