Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Web Interface Doesn't Believe Customers Know Airport Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

In the old Delta.com, I could type in JFK the origin field and then hit the tab key and be able to enter my destination airport code in the destination filed.

Not so with the new interface. If I enter an airport code on the home page you can't just hit tab - you have to then select your airport from the dropdown box of airports with the mouse, then select the destination field with the mouse, and again click on the airport name from the dropdown menu.

A lot of extra and unnecessary steps. Also makes me reach for the mouse which I didn't have to do with the old interface because I could tab my way through the form.

What were they thinking? Let's take a perfectly good interface and require a bunch of extra steps?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hitting return key after typing airport code works for me (and then tab to next field). No need for a mouse.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
on safari with the new interface, I can indeed type "JFK" and enter and it fills it correctly, but when I tab it skips over the destination field completely. The only way to input a destination is to click on it with the mouse??
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
In the old Delta.com, I could type in JFK the origin field and then hit the tab key and be able to enter my destination airport code in the destination filed.

Not so with the new interface. If I enter an airport code on the home page you can't just hit tab - you have to then select your airport from the dropdown box of airports with the mouse, then select the destination field with the mouse, and again click on the airport name from the dropdown menu.

A lot of extra and unnecessary steps. Also makes me reach for the mouse which I didn't have to do with the old interface because I could tab my way through the form.

What were they thinking? Let's take a perfectly good interface and require a bunch of extra steps?
see: Any way to FORCE old Delta .com page to work?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The new website is simply a nice exterior but usability is far worse. It seems to be worse for frequent flyers and those that use it a lot. I would wager a vast majority are booking with no FF number at all. Make it nice and clean which it is. You login and don't even see basic information about your account as a FF.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Well, it is crystal clear that Delta is after the infrequent travelers and doesn't really care much about business or frequent fliers. So, the dullta.com site is simply designed for the target Delta demographic.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Well, it is crystal clear that Delta is after the infrequent travelers and doesn't really care much about business or frequent fliers. So, the dullta.com site is simply designed for the target Delta demographic.
Brilliant "think" from the Aloha State. Aloha.
gooselee, cestmoi123 and AceReport like this.

Last edited by kettle1; Jul 9, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by pvn
on safari with the new interface, I can indeed type "JFK" and enter and it fills it correctly, but when I tab it skips over the destination field completely. The only way to input a destination is to click on it with the mouse??
umm safari...what's that? Could be your problem.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
umm safari...what's that? Could be your problem.
maybe, idk, that's the only browser I get the new interface in. I don't use it day to day but thanks for the concern, champ.
spartacus likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:01 pm

The interface definitely recognises IATA codes.

Simply type in the 3 letter code and enter key.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:16 pm

Sometimes...

But if you hit tab it jumps past the destination and right to round trip/one way.

I'd love to know the testing and insight behind this move. Because there are obvious elements ignored in this new page.

Originally Posted by Offshore171
The interface definitely recognises IATA codes.

Simply type in the 3 letter code and enter key.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by n7371f
I'd love to know the testing and insight behind this move. Because there are obvious elements ignored in this new page.
When has DL been known for testing things prior to live release? For years and years it's been plain obvious that somehow Delta developers (web and back-end/reservations) believe that QA is their mortal enemy.

No other airline makes its passengers have to keep pages of notes of workarounds of common operations in their reservations systems, in order to spoon feed to their untrained res agents who otherwise just give up and claim that "it just doesn't work".
AceReport likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
The new website is simply a nice exterior but usability is far worse. It seems to be worse for frequent flyers and those that use it a lot. I would wager a vast majority are booking with no FF number at all. Make it nice and clean which it is. You login and don't even see basic information about your account as a FF.
If you click on the miles at the top right it brings up the old splash page with your FF info and progress to (S,G,P,D)M with MQM and MQD.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Guys, it's important to remember that "the new website" will have bugs and they can be fixed. Minor behavior things aren't necessarily by design and they can be adjusted without re-writing the entire "new website".

Also, more importantly, the reason they're only showing the new site to a portion of users is that they're testing it.
HohoGAP and jetsfan92588 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:45 am

I have not had the problem the OP is discussing.

Honestly compared to some other 'upgrades' of sites I use this one has been pretty harmless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.