Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Down grade from Gold to Blue Delta AMEX card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I don't fly anymore and annual fee for Delta Gold card is coming up this month. Should I downgrade to Delta Blue AMEX card with no annual fee? I have about 9k in sky miles. Do I lose my skymiles if I down grade?

Right now I can redeem $50 amazon gift card for 9740 miles. Is it same for you guys with Delta Blue AMEX card or is it going to require more miles with the Blue card?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK using pay with miles requires a DL AmEx card, but I'm not sure whether the blue one (is it really DL affiliated?) work for this. Pay with miles would allow you to get a ticket for a friend or relative and use your 9,000 miles to deduct $90 from the ticket price, perhaps subject to some rounding, for any DL ticket for DL flights. This is a much better use of your remaining miles than the $50 Amazon gift card for almost 10,000 miles.

After the plane ticket is purchased, then you can downgrade your card. Check the AmEx forum to see whether AmEx currently pro-rates annual fees.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pay with Miles requires a Gold or higher Delta Amex card. Skymiles Marketplace may be used by any DL Amex cardholder.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK using pay with miles requires a DL AmEx card, but I'm not sure whether the blue one (is it really DL affiliated?) work for this. Pay with miles would allow you to get a ticket for a friend or relative and use your 9,000 miles to deduct $90 from the ticket price, perhaps subject to some rounding, for any DL ticket for DL flights. This is a much better use of your remaining miles than the $50 Amazon gift card for almost 10,000 miles.

After the plane ticket is purchased, then you can downgrade your card. Check the AmEx forum to see whether AmEx currently pro-rates annual fees.
Originally Posted by LBJ
Pay with Miles requires a Gold or higher Delta Amex card. Skymiles Marketplace may be used by any DL Amex cardholder.
Thanks guys. Yes, I'll lose pay with miles option but I'm only interested in Amazon gift card since I'm not planing to fly anytime soon.

So as long as I can still access to market place with Delta Blue Amex card and still redeem $50 amazon gift card for 9740 miles, I want to downgrade.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stark4
Thanks guys. Yes, I'll lose pay with miles option but I'm only interested in Amazon gift card since I'm not planing to fly anytime soon.

So as long as I can still access to market place with Delta Blue Amex card and still redeem $50 amazon gift card for 9740 miles, I want to downgrade.
You should be able to use pay with miles on a ticket that you purchase for a friend or relative, with them paying you for it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all your help guys but again I'm only interested to redeem Amazon gift card. Anyone with Delta Blue AMEX can check for me? Is it still 9740 Miles for $50 amazon gift card for you?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by stark4
thanks for all your help guys but again I'm only interested to redeem Amazon gift card. Anyone with Delta Blue AMEX can check for me? Is it still 9740 Miles for $50 amazon gift card for you?
I'd get a completely different amex card. There is no reason for you to keep a delta one and others will have better redemption rates for non-flight options. Such as straight cash back or membership rewards points.
hi55us and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:58 pm

One interesting note from my experience: I downgraded to the Blue from the Gold, but opened a completely new account in doing so (before I closed the gold). I still got the 10k sign up bonus even though it said I wouldn’t...

Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

In my experience, Pay With Miles only works in 5,000 mile/$50 increments, and has to be split evenly among all tickets purchased in the transaction. So with 9k miles you could take $50 off of 1 ticket, but nothing off of 2 or more. Also, you can use PWM for tickets for yourself as well, it is not limited to buying tickets for friends or relatives.

All that said, I agree that the gift card seems like a poor value. But in the interest of full disclosure, I recently used about 5k United miles to buy a year's subscription to People Magazine for my wife. United only accounted for 4 flights out of 444 in the last 2.5 years, and the small number of miles were going to expire anyway. So it was a good value vs having them go away and getting nothing for it. Maybe the OP is in a similar situation?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
... the small number of miles were going to expire anyway. So it was a good value vs having them go away and getting nothing for it. Maybe the OP is in a similar situation?
Delta miles don't expire.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Delta miles don't CURRENTLY expire.
Fixed that for ya.

Some may find that some concrete value today to be more compelling than some potential future value which may or may not be greater than today's value.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Delta miles don't expire.
Yes, but those were United miles, which do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.