Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buddy pass etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

Delta’s D1 changes for buddy pass riders haven’t started yet. Buddies can still get in D1 without the employee (or another relative) for now.

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Check in right at 24 hours. I believe DL has a seniority based standby list, but checkin time is often a tiebreaker or the 2nd determinant of the standby list order
Delta doesn’t use check-in time for non-revs as tiebreakers. Their lists are seniority based. It doesn’t matter if one employee checks in at 24 hours and the other checks in 1 hour and 30 minutes prior. Everything is in seniority order. Check in time is up until 35 minutes prior for domestic, 1 hour for international. It is up to the agent’s discretion if you are added to the standby list after the check-in time has passed. Most agents in Atlanta won’t do it as it isn’t fair to the people that are already on the list and met the check-in requirements. Many medallions can tell you their experience with the “It’s too late to be added to the list” line. No different for non revs.

OP - You and your travel companion REALLY need to talk to the employee that gave the buddy passes to you. You have a chance for D1 but you’ll be after all the other employees, employee parents, employee kids, employee companions, Delta connection employees, retirees, and other buddy pass riders with higher seniority.
Debra79 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:46 pm

4. Check in right at 24 hours. I believe DL has a seniority based standby list, but checkin time is often a tiebreaker or the 2nd determinant of the standby list order
The order is Pass Level, then seniority date [date of hire with Delta, not placement into your current position], then if that is the same the earliest birth date [of the sponsor/employee].
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
The order is Pass Level, then seniority date [date of hire with Delta, not placement into your current position], then if that is the same the earliest birth date [of the sponsor/employee].
Is the tie-breaker for seniority really date of birth and not checkin time?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets

On the surface this seems ridiculous... but on AA and WN, after your pass priority (D1, D2, etc.) the entire list is ordered by checkin time, which actually can turn out to be really terrible.

In my experience, people will list for the 6am flight knowing they have no shot, but since they checked in at 6am on the day prior, they will often roll over and end up ahead of those who checked in for the later (and more open) flight.

It's really a no win for the airline (not that they have an obligation to care about the nonrev traveller). Nonetheless, they've got to roll folks over, but if you roll folks over behind those already on the next list it makes it near impossible for them to ever clear. On the other hand, rolling them over ahead of folks based on check-in time results in the issue I described.

Not sure I agree birthdate is most effective... but checkin time can come back to bite you too. Though I guess it does throw a bone to the older employees for their loyalty to the company
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets

Yes. The older employee is higher on the list.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think the OP has gotten the point by now
TheHorta and Debra79 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:03 pm

Not sure I agree birthdate is most effective
When you factor in that seniority is also used for schedules and shifts (not just non revving), then it makes sense. Birth date is how DL organizes seniority between employees that get hired on the same day (flight attendant classes are a great example of this), and they just apply that same process to the NRSA lists when two employees have the same hire date.

Lends itself to something concrete and fair instead of allowing employees to game the system the AA way by checking in for flights they know they will never take just so they can be higher on the list for a later flight.
Debra79 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Internet Archive Wayback machine, baby! This is from 2017.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170328164228/travelinfo.delta.com/dlnonrev/Buddy_quette.pdfI'll agree with posters: it's the sponsor's duty to make sure prospective pass users understand their responsibilities and set expectations accordingly.
You're amazing, thank you! Sorry I haven't responded more, but this site has a rule about no more than 5 posts in 24 hours?? Seems odd, but oh well...I will certainly let everyone know how it works out. I myself have no set schedule to get back by (voluntarily unemployed right now) 😊 but my friend does. I actually wouldn't mind getting stuck in Europe indefinitely and having a friend ship me my cats. Lol Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Last edited by Debra79; Jul 7, 2018 at 12:31 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by enviroian
I think the OP has gotten the point by now
But there are so many deceased equines yet to be thrashed.
TheHorta and Debra79 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Debra79
this site has a rule about no more than 5 posts in 24 hours?? Seems odd, but oh well...
I think it's an anti spam measure that applies only to newer members (I forget the exact details)
Debra79 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Wow. OK. I respect and appreciate your input, but it was pretty obvious that my humor was intended to encourage the OP to follow-up and post her experiences, which she apparently responded favorably to.

And, FYI, ALL threads "lend themselves to humor." Humor is an essential part of the teaching / learning process.

I really dislike having to explain the obvious, but I have to remember that I'm only obvious to me.
I totally agree with you. Having a good sense of humor is not only appropriate, but necessary. Especially as a nonrev! 😊
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by gooselee
+1. Every DL employee I know is extremely hesitant to issue buddy passes at all.
+1. Add me to the list of employees who don't give them out. The amount of time I would spend A) discouraging potential usurpers, B) authorizing and issuing the tickets for them, and C) playing travel agent and checking and re-checking loads when its time to go, totally negates any good-will I may have gotten from giving out the buddy pass in the first place. Plus, alot of times its cheaper to just BUY THE TICKET.

I think some would-be buddy-pass riders still have this mid-90s mentality of "see the world on the cheap, in first class." Back when load factors hovered around 60%. Thanks to more robust GDS channels, e-commerce, and upsell, carriers know where the inventory is, and how to move it. The Golden Age of NRSA died long ago, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Got to Atlanta on our first flight by the skin of our teeth. I even snagged an exit row. So far, so good!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I have not flown nonrev on DL.

the one time I did it was on AA and I bought a ticket to LHR to catch the AA flight.

My sponsor told me that if you are transiting in London and not originating there - even on different tickets (be it airline tickets, train tickets, etc) - I could show an AAgent my other flight's BP and they would mark me as a transit passenger

By doing so, I avoided the UK APD. Really smart of my sponsor to point this out, but this was on AA. The flight pushed with 10+ empty seats in J, which is probably why I cleared into a J seat before boarding started. Glad I avoided the J APD!
Train tickets don't count. Only other airline tickets with scheduled arrival less than 24 hours before scheduled departure of 2nd ticket. Otherwise, Everyone would be catching a short train ride before their flight.

Forget if it was this past summer or 2016. AM had major problem with this. There were hundreds of people trying to get home on buddy passes they had been sold. Airline held firm that no we're not sending a special flight just to pickup the cheapskates that wanted to fly for nearly free and now expect a known return date.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:53 am

Some comments and suggestions for the OP
  • Sounds like you do not have specific time commitments, so there is hope you can have a decent experience
  • Have a backup plan. I have friends who nonrev and they simply find the best flight in the 5pm, 7pm and late time pushes (no matter where they go) and plan to try the earliest and then try the next etc.Once you land, make your way where you were trying to go
  • Something like Skyscanner is your friend. You can use the search for a one way flight to "Everywhere" and find low cost flights from your landing point to wherever you might want to go. This can also be useful in figuring out a cheap return if it happens that you get stuck. WOW, Norwegian and other low cost carriers could be alternatives for a last minute return purchase.
  • Buddy passes are refundable, so if you have to buy a revenue ticket back, you should at least get a refund for the unused buddy pass leg.
  • Be careful of the siren's song AMS and CDG... lots of flights back, but since they are ground handled by KL/AF, which makes it hard to figure what is open and what is not. Certainly consider returns from there but it is even more stressful since you have no good feel for standby loads.
  • Finally, you desperately need access to the standby listing details that the employee can readily get. Your likely key problem will be lack of planning information if your sponsor is not helping. Without that, hope that you can find other nonrevs who do have information.
Debra79 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.