Wiki Posts
Search

MQM and buyup offer on seatmap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
MQM and buyup offer on seatmap

I just purchased LAX-PVG r/t in economy. When I display the seatmap it offers to pick a Premium Select by paying $200-ish (each way). If I accept, would I get the MQM 50% bonus ?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by thesaints
I just purchased LAX-PVG r/t in economy. When I display the seatmap it offers to buy Premium Select by paying $200-ish. If I accept, would I get the MQM 50% bonus ?
Every time I've bought up to F via the seatmap, I've received the MQM bonus. As long as this is in advance (and not a buy-up offer at check-in) your fare should re-price into the PS bucket and then you should get the MQM bonus.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Just read the small print and it says
Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, MQM, and MQD accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
although it does not mention explicitly PS, I guess it is reasonable to expect the MQM bonus to be applied.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I also asked @Delta. It took more than an hour to reply
Thanks for your patience. It seems with Upgrading to Delta Premium Select you will receive bonus miles and MQM's. *HJZ
which does not sound all that convinced.
However I pulled the trigger and hope for the best.

On the website my itinerary page now shows "Premium Select (G)", but receipt and the confirmation email I got still show (T) fare class. However, I think that between Delta's own bylaws printout and @Delta reply I would have sufficient ground to demand extra MQM, or a refund.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I also asked @Delta. It took more than an hour to reply which does not sound all that convinced.
However I pulled the trigger and hope for the best.

On the website my itinerary page now shows "Premium Select (G)", but receipt and the confirmation email I got still show (T) fare class. However, I think that between Delta's own bylaws printout and @Delta reply I would have sufficient ground to demand extra MQM, or a refund.
The old fare class displaying happens to me when I use the in-app buy-up option. About half the time the new fare class shows up in the app (but never on the receipt). While I’ve only done this to domestic F and not PS, I have always received the bonus MQM regardless of what fare code is displayed. The additional MQD and RDM typical post as a separate line item in my SM account.

When I instead call DL and pay the fare difference to the higher class of service, my itinerary will show the upgraded class on both DL.com and my receipt (likely because the ticket is reissued when I up-fare).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:17 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I just purchased LAX-PVG r/t in economy. When I display the seatmap it offers to pick a Premium Select by paying $200-ish (each way). If I accept, would I get the MQM 50% bonus ?
$200 seems like a good offer on something like LAX-PVG. Congrats - enjoy the trip!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
$200 seems like a good offer on something like LAX-PVG. Congrats - enjoy the trip!
Well, it was 210+260 to get it r/t, but shouldn't we all live a little from time to time ?

I also inquired about upgrading with miles to D1; guess this would be my chance to test the suites, but the agent on the phone quoted me 80k RDM o/w !!
That is kind of stiff, considering upgrading from PE to D1 CDG-SEA (AF metal) was quoted at 25k.
No immediate availability however, so I'll have the time to sleep on it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Only if you do it prior to check in do you get the MQM and MQD
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:23 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Well, it was 210+260 to get it r/t, but shouldn't we all live a little from time to time ?
Since I am right now looking at an offer for my next SEA-BOS RT to upgrade to First for a "bargain" of $332 eastbound and $450 westbound (on a $400 RT booked in V/K), your offer is a much better deal IMO. I'd have taken it too. Enjoy!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I also inquired about upgrading with miles to D1; guess this would be my chance to test the suites, but the agent on the phone quoted me 80k RDM o/w !!
That is kind of stiff, considering upgrading from PE to D1 CDG-SEA (AF metal) was quoted at 25k.
Non YBM mileage upgrades on DL have got to point of being ridiculous . In most cases it's only 10-15k less to do an outright J award.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Still a great deal! Even if PS is more akin to domestic FC, $200-$250 is my personal threshold for buy-ups from SEA to the East Coast so for 13 hr flights that's a very great offer and I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

No immediate availability however, so I'll have the time to sleep on it

I'd be curious to know if the buy-up mileage required is less for PS to D1 than Y to D1, as the AF case certainly factored this in, and doesn't AF also have a co-pay? (The other factor is if there is no difference in miles to go from Y to D1 or PS to D1, you would have wasted the $$$ upgrading to PS I suppose). The 80K o/w is steep, considering that a straight-up J redemption at the (hidden) "Low" is 80K as well (though as the TATL rates just went up some, I would guess the TPAC did as well?). That's the part I find frustrating about DL's mileage upgrade rewards. The rates to upgrade with miles aren't any cheaper than what you can get as a straight-mileage redemption, while still having to pay for economy.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'd be curious to know if the buy-up mileage required is less for PS to D1 than Y to D1, as the AF case certainly factored this in, and doesn't AF also have a co-pay? (The other factor is if there is no difference in miles to go from Y to D1 or PS to D1, you would have wasted the $$$ upgrading to PS I suppose). The 80K o/w is steep, considering that a straight-up J redemption at the (hidden) "Low" is 80K as well (though as the TATL rates just went up some, I would guess the TPAC did as well?). That's the part I find frustrating about DL's mileage upgrade rewards. The rates to upgrade with miles aren't any cheaper than what you can get as a straight-mileage redemption, while still having to pay for economy.
I’m not entirely sure the agent on the phone quoted the correct numbers. At first she said I would have to downgrade my ticket to economy, pay the difference (?) and then apply the upgrade award. She put me on hold and then apparently forgot about all that and quoted 80k, with no wait list. Kind of a strange interaction.
Outright award tickets are available on those flights and that makes me think upgrade awards should be as well. I’ll call again and see what they say this time. As I wrote, on the same G fare I was quoted 25k to upgrade CDG-SEA, which is also in line with analogous upgrades on VS. I think she may have been confused by my original ticket being a T fare, upgraded online to G.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I finally found the time to call again. My impression was correct; today's agent put me on waitlist for upgrade to D1 for 45k RDM each way.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

More update:

How strange, my upgrade requests LAX-PVG and back appear different on the website. Going in, the flight info has an "upgrade waitlisted" notice. Coming back, it appears as a duplicated seat map "seat not assigned".
Could the same agent have coded them in two different ways ??

Last edited by thesaints; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta PM
Very nice buy-up, IMO. My DTW-NRT flight at the beginning of September is asking for $662 each way in PS. No, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.