Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking Rental Car from DL.com at Bottom of Flt Confirmation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Leisure trip to Minneapolis. Rental car websites (and Orbitz) were quoting about $100 per day including fees. After booking the DL flights, I scrolled down the confirmation page and saw Hertz quoted at $40 per day. I figured double that for the fees and I'm still cheaper than booking separately. Turns out what was going to be a $390 car rental was $200 though the DL site... including fees. Even the Hertz website was quoting around $100 per day after fees.

Is this common? Is this little disclaimer (*Final balance due determined by provider) going to bite me in the end?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by NoleATL
Leisure trip to Minneapolis. Rental car websites (and Orbitz) were quoting about $100 per day including fees. After booking the DL flights, I scrolled down the confirmation page and saw Hertz quoted at $40 per day. I figured double that for the fees and I'm still cheaper than booking separately. Turns out what was going to be a $390 car rental was $200 though the DL site... including fees. Even the Hertz website was quoting around $100 per day after fees.

Is this common? Is this little disclaimer (*Final balance due determined by provider) going to bite me in the end?
Is there a way to book and have it show you the total fees? $100 per day for a rental seems very expensive, unless you’re getting a luxury car, or big SUV/van.

If you’re a Costco member, their rates through the Costco travel site are usually quite good. Also check out Autoslash.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I$100 per day for a rental seems very expensive, unless you’re getting a luxury car, or big SUV/van.
Totally agree but that was the total rate after fees. Just mid/full size cars. Hotels are more expensive there than normal so i think something is going on in town.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM; HHonors Diamond; Marriott/SPG Titanium
I use Delta.com for booking Hertz all the time. Plus you get bonus points for booking through Delta. I check the Hertz rates on my app (with my corporate rate) and compare to what i can rent using Delta. Same fees as if you rented direct from Hertz. Same with other car rental companies that Delta uses.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:23 am

You never know. Sometimes the DL discount code will give you an eye-poppingly good rate, sometimes my corporate rate will be best, but I never find that both will. Sometimes using the rate codes increases the price vs standard rate. Best to shop around for rental cars.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:23 am

When I book for work I typically book through Hertz or Enterprise directly w/ our corporate codes. However for personal use I will book wherever I can get the lowest rate recently as I've been traveling to ATL a lot. I've found Delta's website to be cheaper but the cheapest I typically get is just going through autoslash and it seems to end up about 50 bucks cheaper then anything else I can find.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
You never know. Sometimes the DL discount code will give you an eye-poppingly good rate, sometimes my corporate rate will be best, but I never find that both will. Sometimes using the rate codes increases the price vs standard rate. Best to shop around for rental cars.
Same with hotels. Love it when the rack rate is lower then any of the others (Gov, AAA, AARP, contract discount, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.