Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Issue with Changing Flights via new "Modify" Button

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I have a trip next month that I'm considering extending by a day or two and was curious as to what the new itinerary would price out to (including change fee). This is the new DL website layout and whereas one used to see "Change" or "Cancel" options on an itinerary there's a new "Modify" button. Once pressed you can choose to change your flights or cancel and receive any e-credit available. I was excited to see a new layout for changes as the old system was very user unfriendly. However I've tried several different permutations and every time I receive an error message when I attempt to search for new flights within the "change" application. Has anyone had any luck with this new layout or found a work around? It's not that big of a deal whether I extend my trip or not, and I don't really want to wait on a call back from DL so would rather just stick to online changes.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I have a trip next month that I'm considering extending by a day or two and was curious as to what the new itinerary would price out to (including change fee). This is the new DL website layout and whereas one used to see "Change" or "Cancel" options on an itinerary there's a new "Modify" button. Once pressed you can choose to change your flights or cancel and receive any e-credit available. I was excited to see a new layout for changes as the old system was very user unfriendly. However I've tried several different permutations and every time I receive an error message when I attempt to search for new flights within the "change" application. Has anyone had any luck with this new layout or found a work around? It's not that big of a deal whether I extend my trip or not, and I don't really want to wait on a call back from DL so would rather just stick to online changes.
I could not get the online interface to work for me this morning when dealing with IRROP, but I chalked it up to being ex-AMS and thus the flight under control of KLM.

That being said I fail to understand not wanting to wait for a callback, but YMMV I reckon. I find that callback system very convenient, much more than waiting "endlessly" on hold...I used it this morning and while waiting for my call to be returned, was able to take a shower, finish packing, have a coffee, and check my email all completely unabated by monitoring a phone line. The call back occurred within the promised 25-40 minute wait window.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Friends don't let friends change their itineraries on Delta.com.

BenA and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Hmm, it could be because there are system wide IRROPs right now, or maybe it's just DL IT.

My current trip is in Y both ways, but when I make a dummy booking online with the original departure date (keeping Y) but the new return date I see some attractive prices for the return portion in F. The new fare would actually bump me up in status, so that's a plus. Does anyone think there's a chance DL would waive a change fee to change the return portion to a new date but in F? (I know, I'm probably being optimistic )
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
...This is the new DL website layout and whereas one used to see "Change" or "Cancel" options on an itinerary there's a new "Modify" button. Once pressed you can choose to change your flights or cancel and receive any e-credit available. ...
I've been trying to cancel a couple of award tickets I had booked for my son; one didn't show up in my account, so I used the "manage reservation" link in the confirmation email ... got an error message about "reservation does not match the account used to pay for the ticket" but removing his account # from the PNR fixed the issue ... the second one didn't have his number in the record, so -- just like OP reports -- had to use "modify" followed by "cancel"

it's ENTIRELY counter-intuitive to make this a two-step process when one step used to be fine (not that it always worked seamlessly, but why introduce another step into the process?!?!?!?)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
why introduce another step into the process?!?!?!?
More is always better.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Friends don't let friends change their itineraries on Delta.com.

Except for that golden age when doing so during IRROPS got you automatically rebooked into F.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Except for that golden age when doing so during IRROPS got you automatically rebooked into F.
Well, the OP isn't talking IROPS!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
I've found that if I'm logged in the change button (old layout or new) generally errored out when I got to either the search or pricing part. However, I have found that if I'm logged out it will usually work fine. Don't know why it makes a difference, but it's worth a try.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
eyeballs

Originally Posted by davetravels
More is always better.
More eyeballs on ads >>> more $ for DL >>> lower prices, more benes for us.

Well, maybe not the last part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.