Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I ask compensation for delta change route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Delta cancelled SEA-HKG route from Oct 4th. They called me to provide reroute from ICN which is OK for me.
Original arrival time in HKG is 5:05 PM, now there is 6 hours delay till 10:30 PM, probably I pass the custom by midnight.
Currently they only offer me to change the flight by ICN, any other thing can I ask for. First time deal with this situation.
I redeem ticket by miles BTW, flight before Christmas

Last edited by weever; Jun 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL's sole obligation is to reroute you or to refund your ticket without any penalty.

If there is some other routing which you prefer, just call DL and provide the dates and flight numbers. DL may be reluctant to book you on anything other than DL or SkyTeam flights given that there is a good alternative.

If for any reason, that other ticket is cheaper today, whether in miles or cash, have DL refund your current ticket and book the new one (but book the new ticket first).
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
DL's sole obligation is to reroute you or to refund your ticket without any penalty.

If there is some other routing which you prefer, just call DL and provide the dates and flight numbers. DL may be reluctant to book you on anything other than DL or SkyTeam flights given that there is a good alternative.

If for any reason, that other ticket is cheaper today, whether in miles or cash, have DL refund your current ticket and book the new one (but book the new ticket first).
Got it, there is no early arrive flights from SEA-HKG, even reroute from NRT
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
They may also route you on October 3 if that works better with your schedule to arrive a day early instead of 6 hours late.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
They may also route you on October 3 if that works better with your schedule to arrive a day early instead of 6 hours late.
I am planning travel at Christmas, I already booked new year flight return back. It's one way ticket from DL, return flight is from JAL.
Anyway, I have to deal later arrival.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by weever
I am planning travel at Christmas, I already booked new year flight return back. It's one way ticket from DL, return flight is from JAL.
Anyway, I have to deal later arrival.
Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were traveling on Oct 4 which was the first day of the route cancellation.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

If there is nothing else to your liking, your options are to accept the reroute offered or to cancel for a full refund without any penalties and not travel. It's your choice.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
If there is nothing else to your liking, your options are to accept the reroute offered or to cancel for a full refund without any penalties and not travel. It's your choice.
e.g.: "take it or leave it"
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL,EK
If you need to be in HKG earlier (close to your original time), you could ask to go via SFO or LAX and use Cathay or some other airline. I doubt DL will let you do that, but I'd ask anyway.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cayohueso
e.g.: "take it or leave it"
People in these forums ask for alternative routings and dates all the time. I have never failed.

OP's situation is a cessation of DL service. They may have a protect agreement in place to put passengers on other carriers - and they may not.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
If you need to be in HKG earlier (close to your original time), you could ask to go via SFO or LAX and use Cathay or some other airline. I doubt DL will let you do that, but I'd ask anyway.
With numerous ST options I doubt it. On top of KE via ICN, there's going via PVG/PEK and connect onto MU/CZ to HKG.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
No chance. MU through PVG would most likely be possible or perhaps CZ through PVG or CAN.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:54 pm

Get the ICN flight option before everyone else books it up.
Save your original HKG email, and the new boarding pass.

Once you have flown (and only after then), send a nice email to delta with your original reservation and what you actually flown, asking if you can please be given some miles back for your inconvenience. You'll probably get 5000 - 10000 delta miles back.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
People in these forums ask for alternative routings and dates all the time. I have never failed.

OP's situation is a cessation of DL service. They may have a protect agreement in place to put passengers on other carriers - and they may not.
OP claims that he checked and nothing else was to his liking. If that is the case, the choice is simple.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Always ask for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.