Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

(dl miles itin) KLM/VS JNB-AMS-LHR-SFO -- min cxn time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Booked a ticket with an 90 minute connection at LHR using DL miles

Occurs to me only now that KLM/VS aren't actually partners and so KLM may not be able to check me in for my VS flight, and there may be a required terminal change (4==>3). Anyone have any experience with this and logistics for klm==>vs at LHR??

Thanks

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Jun 26, 2018 at 8:15 pm Reason: connection time corrected
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

You are probably fine if you flight arrives not more than 25 minutes late. If 40+ minutes late, forget about it.

I recently did 3 => 4 (opposite directtion to yours) connecting from VS to SU on a single ticket.

1. From 3 to 4 it was a long walk, long bus ride and security, overall took me about 1 hour. Security line had only a few people but it was extremely slow. I can only imagine how long it takes when it's busy.

At some point during transfer they were checking boarding passes. I told lady to let me through, because I didn't have a boarding pass for SU but I knew where to go -- it worked, but I saw some middle eastern passengers who did not have itineraries / boarding passes were delayed at the checkpoint, so have a printout or phone copy of your itinerary to show just in case.

2. VS was not able to issue me a boarding pass for SU. Neither could SkyTeam lounge at terminal 4 (told me go to gate). I did not plan to leave lounge early and went to gate when boarding started. SU told me they could offload me, because I was not checked in but they did not.

3. On the way back I had overnight in LHR and had to do 4=>3 landside because I arrived at 4, which did not have busses going to airport hotels. Had to take public train from 4 to 3 (train which goes to London), but it was free between terminals, then walk for a long time before finly getting to the bus terminal. Train was 20 minutes late. Took about 1 hour with immigration, train and walk.

4. Leaving from 3 next day was not great either - long corridors without any shops or rest areas after you leave central area.

Overall totally 3rd world experience.

LHR is great if you connect from 5 to 5 on BA, otherwise it's one of the worst major airports in Europe if not the world.

Last edited by AntonS; Jun 26, 2018 at 9:14 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:21 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So Virgin is partly owned by AF/KLM, (or the transaction will soon close). So I suspect they already have some inter airline agreements. The boarding pass may not issue in JNB, but you could also do online check in for the VS segments so that you'll have your boarding passes already.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Non-partners do interline ticketing and baggage all the time. MCTs are set accordingly, and acknowledge terminal changes.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Being partners / in same alliance / part ownership is not a pre condition for interlining bags. BA and VS aren't partners but will interline bags on a single ticket.

The connections planner explains the process if you enter your date and flights. It's really not that complicated. The MCT between T4 and T3 is 90 minutes but the vast majority of people manage it a lot quicker than that.

I really don't understand the hate for LHR. Is it perfect no but at least you aren't forced into clearing immigration when you aren't staying in that country like you have to in some countries!

There is a VS desk in the T3 connections area - they will be able to issue your BP and do the document check (is your passport valid for US entry) there before you clear security.. You will then be in the departures side of T3.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG
+1 for the connection planner link that UKtravelbear posted.

In my experience (outside of peak times) the longest part of that is the bus ride from T4 --> T3. Once you get to T3 security, I went through without a boarding pass for my VS flight, which was no problem. There are dedicated security lanes for transfer pax, immediately after which is a well-staffed VS desk and they will be able to print your boarding pass if you don't already have it.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Transferring terminals at LHR can take some time, so when you're in a rush, it just wears on you. The only other thing I would mention is make sure you have ALL of your liquids in a zipped bag and remember to take the bag out. Failure to do so will result in your bag being taken to the side, and depending on the amount of traffic, and very long and painful process. Personally, I'd rather transfer in CDG, which I despise, than go through LHR. I do wish you luck though!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
One more thing...just did VS to KLM to KLM and was given all three boarding passes when checking in. Would think you'd have the same experience, even if opposite. SU is the only airline I regularly am not able to get boarding passes for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.