Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying for the “upgraded experience” in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

partial gripe fest here but also curious how others feel. I have seen a marked reduction in the DL F domestic soft product in 2018 (meals taking over 2 hours to be served once they start, rarely coming through to check if anyone needs anything, sitting most of the flights on their phone, etc.)

i get that getting to my destination is what I pay for and I shouldn’t expect a Singapore airlines experience but I feel like even what used to be the floor for “passable” service has gone WAY down.

Maybe it’s just me? I just don’t see what I’m getting in domestic F anymore besides a slightly larger seat.... (and it’s getting a lot harder to convince myself to pay for basically just that larger seat)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Isn't the larger seat the most important thing? How much more would you pay for C+ if it provided an "F-level" soft product? I can't imagine a premium of more than $20-30 for a hot meal and slightly more attentive service on top of what is already offered.

What kind of service are you really expecting? You can always call the FA if you need anything. If anything I find an FA constantly asking if I need anything to be an annoyance.
pvn and Gavroch like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ethernal
Isn't the larger seat the most important thing? How much more would you pay for C+ if it provided an "F-level" soft product? I can't imagine a premium of more than $20-30 for a hot meal and slightly more attentive service on top of what is already offered.

What kind of service are you really expecting? You can always call the FA if you need anything. If anything I find an FA constantly asking if I need anything to be an annoyance.
thats fair and honestly since I fly so much 80-90% of what I pay for is the seat. Just feels like in general maybe and not just F that the soft product has been declining across all cabins?

the irony is for the most part the regionals have been getting way better at the soft product and mainline is going the other way
AceReport likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by vincentharris

the irony is for the most part the regionals have been getting way better at the soft product and mainline is going the other way
so true. i've enjoyed superb service in F on my last several crj-900 flights. too bad they're so short!!
Widgets likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by vincentharris
partial gripe fest here but also curious how others feel. I have seen a marked reduction in the DL F domestic soft product in 2018 (meals taking over 2 hours to be served once they start, rarely coming through to check if anyone needs anything, sitting most of the flights on their phone, etc.)

i get that getting to my destination is what I pay for and I shouldn’t expect a Singapore airlines experience but I feel like even what used to be the floor for “passable” service has gone WAY down.

Maybe it’s just me? I just don’t see what I’m getting in domestic F anymore besides a slightly larger seat.... (and it’s getting a lot harder to convince myself to pay for basically just that larger seat)
agreed....I for the most part don’t pay for Delta domestic FC anymore.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ethernal
If anything I find an FA constantly asking if I need anything to be an annoyance.
totally this. when I'm on the plane, I am either trying to get some work done, reading a book, or sleeping. In none of those cases do I want an FA interrupting me just to see if I'm OK.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
My experience is that it really depends on the crew. I've had stellar service and mediocre service. Since I am paying the difference and "upgrading" my corporate coach ticket to First class, I expect the service level I am paying for. I've pretty much given up on chasing the upgrade, and I am a Diamond 3 million miler. Write a complaint if the service is poor. It helps us all if we get the mediocre staff moved to back cabin or get retraining on what service means. I, like the OP, get irritated to see Comfort plus get drinks prior to FC, and that drink service sometimes taking up an hour to occur. Again, write a letter and complain, it is the only way it will get any better. That said, if you do get good service, write a letter and compliment! The FA's get points for positive affirmations.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
totally this. when I'm on the plane, I am either trying to get some work done, reading a book, or sleeping. In none of those cases do I want an FA interrupting me just to see if I'm OK.
I appreciate when they do the walk throughs without unnecessary interaction; aka when they come through and eyeball drinks, maybe point to it if its empty...but otherwise, they slowly walk through and you can nicely ask them for something should you need it.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I’m in it for the seat. If I want something I push the button. They show up and I get what I want. Pretty nifty.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by koreanair720
so true. i've enjoyed superb service in F on my last several crj-900 flights. too bad they're so short!!
Amen. I think it was Endeavor recently where I was only in C+ (bulkhead seat that the aisle runs into), and my drink was full the whole flight. I was too polite to refuse.
Seabilly and Fly_Delta_Jets like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
But wasn't one of the benefits of FCM supposed to be that with more people paying for F, DL would put more money into the F product?
railmatt and readywhenyouare like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
My last couple of F experiences AUS - LAX and AUS - ATL, the service has been superb...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The best F service I've had all year was on a FCM upgrade, SLC-DCA ($200 covered LAS-SLC-DCA). I fell asleep right after I had my PDB, and woke up about 45 minutes out from DCA. One of the FAs saw me wake up and came over to me and offered to take my drink order, and then brought me a refill 20 minutes later. I was refreshed when I got up to deplane. He even thanked me for being a 2 MMer.

I've been #1 on the UG list for 0 seats 5 times this year, so I can't plan on automatic upgrades any more.

I wish Delta would change things up in the beverage department, finding some micro-distilleries with good products (like Alaska Airlines with Sun Liquor and Crater Lake Coffee Hazelnut Vodka; the latter beats the pants off Kahlua) while keeping old favorites like Woodford. Maybe replacing the "Princess of Plonk", Andrea Robinson, for someone with more inspired $10/bottle wine choices, would be a good move.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I'm paying for the WHOLE "experience." It's ALL of the little things that combine to deliver on the value of the added expense -- else I'd fly Southwest, Spirit, or WOW.

I want a better seat, better boarding, a club to kick back in and have a drink or something to eat, more attentive service, a better meal, more personalized treatment (I like it when the FA makes the extra effort and greets me by name, and actually pronounces it correctly!). Each one of these alone does not justify the often exorbitant premium of paid F, but combined they add-up to the reason I spend the extra Benjamins. Remove or dilute ANY of those things, and I'm less willing to pay that premium.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would pay extra if none of the employees ever addressed me by name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.