Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Westjet operated, Delta marketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet operated, Delta marketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
WS V class baggage fee (DL award ticket)

I have an upc​​​​​​oming WS coded flight in V class (WS-V) issued on 006 DL stock as an award ticket. What fare tier does Westjet consider V class for the sake of baggage fees?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

V looks to be their award booking class (and there is only one). Your email receipt should indicate the luggage fees. I tried a dummy award booking on delta.com for WS flight and it showed 1st bag free for a passenger with no status and 1st and 2nd free for myself (DL Plat).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 2, 2020 at 9:05 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Utskicat
I have an upc​​​​​​oming WS coded flight in V class (WS-V) issued on 006 DL stock as an award ticket. What fare tier does Westjet consider V class for the sake of baggage fees?
If it's an award, its booked as a WS flight number. No need to guess the fare class.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Has anyone flown a DL codeshare on a WS operated flight and had a hard time getting there baggage fees refunded? Apparently whatever agreement between DL and WS that existed before has expired, so you can't just go to the main counter and show proof of status in order to get the baggage fees waived. And I'm getting a lot of conflicted messaging about whether Delta will or will not refund my baggage fee paid to WS on check-in.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Has anyone flown a DL codeshare on a WS operated flight and had a hard time getting there baggage fees refunded? Apparently whatever agreement between DL and WS that existed before has expired, so you can't just go to the main counter and show proof of status in order to get the baggage fees waived. And I'm getting a lot of conflicted messaging about whether Delta will or will not refund my baggage fee paid to WS on check-in.
DL will not and can not refund anything paid to WS. Only WS can do that, as they have the money.

Who said it ended? Not all WS employees even knew there was a fee waiver.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL will not and can not refund anything paid to WS. Only WS can do that, as they have the money.

Who said it ended? Not all WS employees even knew there was a fee waiver.
Both the WS check-in staff as well as the DL phone reservation agent said that the previous arrangement where you could get the check-in fees waived at the WS counter if you show proof of status (which I assume really means it gets billed back to Delta by WS). The WS check-in staff as well as the first DL agent said that I could get the baggage fee reimbursed by Delta when I called in (though that DL agent said I had to call back after having flown all segments, not just the first).

Subsequent email and call said that they couldn't reimburse me. Obviously, WS is not an area of expertise for most customer service agents, so trying to see what others' experiences are like before I try HUCA.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would very much doubt any money changes hands with partner baggage fee waivers. You are making a huge assumption there.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
I would very much doubt any money changes hands with partner baggage fee waivers. You are making a huge assumption there.
Yes, I am making an assumption there. I'm not really concerned with what happens on their back-end though, as long as I can get my medallion benefits (e.g. waived baggage fees) for flying a Delta coded flight.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

It was/is simply a waiver. You get it when checking in the bags, not by paying and going to another counter to get a refund.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:10 pm

In my experience flying Westjet medallion benefits count for very little.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
In my experience flying Westjet medallion benefits count for very little.
AFAIK, bag fee waiver was the only actual benefit.
Anything else was a nicety granted at agent discretion.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:16 pm

Finally got my baggage fee paid to WestJet for a DL marketed flight reimbursed by Delta for my flight on July 1...

After I had 100% forgotten and given up on it in mid-July, I got an email responding mid-October telling me they'd issue me a cheque for the amount, and finally got the actual cheque today.

Somebody decided to send me USD instead of CAD.... I'm fine with this.

Can't wait for the JV to formally grant the free baggage Medallion benefit when flying WestJet metal...
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Swoop is to become their U/LCC. WS has added business/ first cabins and continues to position as more of a regular airline. However just as AC has Rouge, WS needed a LCC also with their change.
787s have Business and Premium cabins; 737s have Premium but to my understanding only very few have been reconfigured with the new 2x2 configuration (proper 2 by 2 without the middle seat blocked as a table) to date.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Any recent experience of baggage on this. Delta Miles booking on WestJet, Delta app says I have a bag WestJet says no and I can’t add one online.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strickers
Any recent experience of baggage on this. Delta Miles booking on WestJet, Delta app says I have a bag WestJet says no and I can’t add one online.
Delta Platinum, 4 pax on one reservation, checked three bags no charge on WestJet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.