Wiki Posts
Search

YHZ to YYZ then to MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
YHZ to YYZ then to MSP

I cannot seem to get a straight answer from DL. We leave YHZ (Halifax) on WestJet and arrive YYZ Toronto with 1 hour 25 minute connect to MSP on DL. Timing is arrival at 7:51 Sunday AM if that makes a difference. My questions are:

1. If I am not checking luggage can we make it? If we do check luggage can we make it? We both have Global Entry
2. Do we change terminals? If so what from what what? And what is the process as I have never been to YYZ.
3. I assume (DL 4 agents who are clueless claim we clear US Customs and Immigration in either YHZ or MSP) we clear in YYZ.

Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:01 pm

Without checked luggage and Global Entry you should be ok if you arrive in YYZ on time. You arrive and depart from Terminal 3. Luggage cutoff time is 60 minutes so I would say no with checked luggage.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
The internet is your friend. Try this website:
https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting

You'll be arriving at Toronto Pearson on WestJet at Terminal 3, and connecting through Terminal 3 on Delta.

Easy. Basically go out of secure area, then to security and USA immigration and you are done.

I would not expect DL phone agents to know all the details. Too many permutations. Different airlines go to different terminals, your visa/passport status and so on.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There can be long lines for transborder flights. IIRC the cutoff would officially be the same with or without checked bags. IME in parctice, you go to the check in counter before accessing the preclearance area, so even if you have a boarding pass, it's not obvious that you would be allowed to fly if you appear after one hour cutoff.

Will this be a single ticket/PNR? If so, you can book it if and only if the flights satisfy the relevant MCT requirements.

As usual, separate tickets are a risk.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There can be long lines for transborder flights. IIRC the cutoff would officially be the same with or without checked bags. IME in parctice, you go to the check in counter before accessing the preclearance area, so even if you have a boarding pass, it's not obvious that you would be allowed to fly if you appear after one hour cutoff.

Will this be a single ticket/PNR? If so, you can book it if and only if the flights satisfy the relevant MCT requirements.

As usual, separate tickets are a risk.
No need to goto counter unless checking bags. The machine for checkin won't print them at the machine.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Since WS and DL are semi-related your bags will be tagged to MSP and will be transferred at YYZ.
You will clear US CBP at YYZ.
From domestic arrival, head up to departure, US end and clear CATSA security and then US CBP and you are at the gate.

HOWEVER

WITH CHECKED BAGS:

The bags need to be photo/xray'd for CBP inspection. You will not be admitted post security to the CBP area until this has been confirmed. If the bag's photo has not been verified then you are placed in a holding area before CBP until your check bags are verified.

SUNDAY MORNINGS:
Sunday morning is a busy transborder time at YYZ as there are many travellers heading south to catch their cruise. Expect a long lineup of infrequent travellers. My personal rule of thumb is not to fly out Sunday and Monday mornings from YYZ to the US
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
Since WS and DL are semi-related your bags will be tagged to MSP and will be transferred at YYZ.
You will clear US CBP at YYZ.
From domestic arrival, head up to departure, US end and clear CATSA security and then US CBP and you are at the gate.

HOWEVER

WITH CHECKED BAGS:

The bags need to be photo/xray'd for CBP inspection. You will not be admitted post security to the CBP area until this has been confirmed. If the bag's photo has not been verified then you are placed in a holding area before CBP until your check bags are verified.

SUNDAY MORNINGS:
Sunday morning is a busy transborder time at YYZ as there are many travellers heading south to catch their cruise. Expect a long lineup of infrequent travellers. My personal rule of thumb is not to fly out Sunday and Monday mornings from YYZ to the US
We still don't know whether the OP will have one or two tickets/PNRs. Even with DL and WestJet being (nonalliance) bilateral partners, I wouldn't could on Halifax checking bags through across different tickets/PNRs, but I don't know how large an operation WestJet has there and in particular, whether airport contract workers are used at the check in counter.

We also don't know what MCT for this routing would be.

For a minute, I giggled about hoards of kettles coming to MSP to get their cruise. Our lakes aren't that big, although there would be a few riverboats and maybe even something from Duluth/Superior along the North Shore, but I wouldn't expect that to be very appealing to Canadians.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We still don't know whether the OP will have one or two tickets/PNRs. Even with DL and WestJet being (nonalliance) bilateral partners, I wouldn't could on Halifax checking bags through across different tickets/PNRs, but I don't know how large an operation WestJet has there and in particular, whether airport contract workers are used at the check in counter.

We also don't know what MCT for this routing would be.

For a minute, I giggled about hoards of kettles coming to MSP to get their cruise. Our lakes aren't that big, although there would be a few riverboats and maybe even something from Duluth/Superior along the North Shore, but I wouldn't expect that to be very appealing to Canadians.
Have 10,000 lakes to try. Hopefully one can make them happy.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have 10,000 lakes to try. Hopefully one can make them happy.
For most of them, the cruise ship would be bigger than the lake.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Agents no longer calculate MCT. It is baked into the software. If the connection exceeds MCT, it is bookable. If not, it can't be booked.

If on separate tickets, MCT is irrelevant and OP can book whatever he wants because he is no longer connecting. He is, however, taking on all the risk of a no show for the second ticket.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

You bypass the regular security lines with a Global Entry/Nexus card. Note that TSA Precheck on your boarding pass is completely irrelevant at YYZ. And you can arrive less than 60 minutes prior to your flight at YYZ if you already have your YYZ>MSP boarding pass and no checked luggage as no one will know.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
YYZ terminal 3 is comparatively small so it's a fairly painless connection. You're arriving in YYZ on a domestic flight, so you will disembark into the domestic concourse (B gates). Look for the purple doors / signage near gate B 24 (see map at https://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...ty_May2017.png ... or just ask anyone) for US connections. You'll go through a security check, then pre-clear US Customs in Toronto (there are Global Entry machines). From there you make your way to the gate. Easy peasy.

I haven't checked a bag in years so I can't speak to what that means for your connection time. But with carry-on you'll be fine - assuming an on-time arrival from YHZ.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Let's ASSUME MSP is south of Toronto." -Economist Joke
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I have 1 PNR for the whole trip MSP-YYZ-YYG YHZ-YYZ-MSP paid in US$ my wife has 2 PNRs 1 MSP-YYZ-YYG paid in US$ and 1 YHZ-YYZ-MSP points.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hnewman
I have 1 PNR for the whole trip MSP-YYZ-YYG YHZ-YYZ-MSP paid in US$ my wife has 2 PNRs 1 MSP-YYZ-YYG paid in US$ and 1 YHZ-YYZ-MSP points.

Thanks for all the replies.
One PNR in and out of YYZ, that is good.

Re: CBP bag verification photos - I have this bag that is camera shy and it cause me to spend a bit of time in the pre-CBP, luggage failed to be photo verified "lounge". I noticed that many there were on WS domestic inbound to DL US bound with bags that were camera shy. DL did rebooked them onto a later flight as they cannot be cleared by CBP for US entry without that bag verification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.