Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK - LAX - SYD Where is immigration clearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas,Singapore,United,Virgin Australia,

Hi all,

sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find a thread or post on it. We’re flying DL 212 JFK - LAX then DL 41 LAX - SYD. This gives us not quite 2 hours in LAX. My question is where do we clear customs/ immigration? I’ve read some (qantas flights) info that seems to indicate that customs/ immigration is cleared in JFK and it’s just a straight transfer of metal in LAX, but I can’t find anything indicating if this is the same for DL. Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jenny Mason
Hi all,

sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find a thread or post on it. We’re flying DL 212 JFK - LAX then DL 41 LAX - SYD. This gives us not quite 2 hours in LAX. My question is where do we clear customs/ immigration? I’ve read some (qantas flights) info that seems to indicate that customs/ immigration is cleared in JFK and it’s just a straight transfer of metal in LAX, but I can’t find anything indicating if this is the same for DL. Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
You will clear in SYD. Australia doesn't have a pre-clearance system
Old May 27, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjnangre
And USA does not have exit controls/emigration
At JFK DL may check that you have legal entry to Australia (= Ozzie passport?). Or at LAX

You can get VA ff points for DL flights
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I know I clear customs/ immigration into Aus in Sydney (I’m Aussie and have done it many times), but I’ve never flown JFK -LAX - SYD, so I’m wondering where we do our exit clearance from the USA. I’ve only ever flown out of LAX to SYD before. Apologies for the confusion.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And USA does not have exit controls/emigration
At JFK DL may check that you have legal entry to Australia (= Ozzie passport?). Or at LAX

You can get VA ff points for DL flights
Ah, so there’s no exit controls out of the US? Thank you. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been, so I couldn’t remember. Thus, check bags through at JFK to SYD, clear security and off we go, with another potential security clearance at LAX depending on terminals we fly into and out of. We’re both Aussie so the legal entry into Aus won’t be an issue.

And, yep, got our VA ff numbers in for the DL flights. Thank you for the info!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:26 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I know I clear customs/ immigration into Aus in Sydney (I’m Aussie and have done it many times), but I’ve never flown JFK -LAX - SYD, so I’m wondering where we do our exit clearance from the USA. I’ve only ever flown out of LAX to SYD before. Apologies for the confusion.
There is no exit clearance. The airline will quickly ask to see your passport when you check in and/or as you board, but they aren't doing any kind of clearance, they just want to make sure you have one and are carrying it with you.
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As previous poster noted, the US does not have any exit clearance. Your connection is basically like a domestic connection. The only difference is that a DL agent will need to check and verify your passport info at some point. Once this is done, you boarding pass will show "DOCS OK" on it.
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

There is no exit clearance. The airline will quickly ask to see your passport when you check in and/or as you board, but they aren't doing any kind of clearance, they just want to make sure you have one and are carrying it with you.
Thank you. 😊
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:28 pm

Ah, so there’s no exit controls out of the US? Thank you. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been, so I couldn’t remember. Thus, check bags through at JFK to SYD, clear security and off we go, with another potential security clearance at LAX depending on terminals we fly into and out of. We’re both Aussie so the legal entry into Aus won’t be an issue.
Correct! You won't even have to worry about the additional security clearance at LAX, Delta runs "airside" buses between the terminals so you don't have to exit the secure area
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Correct! You won't even have to worry about the additional security clearance at LAX, Delta runs "airside" buses between the terminals so you don't have to exit the secure area
Oh, nice! 😊
Old May 27, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two hours is more than sufficient, although it's nice to have some time to spare rather than running to the next gate.
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For international flights it is a lot more than that. The airline must check you have a visa/passport for entry to country you are flying to. The passenger is the airlines (big) problem if they let them board without the appropriate documentation/passport/visa.
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For international flights it is a lot more than that. The airline must check you have a visa/passport for entry to country you are flying to. The passenger is the airlines (big) problem if they let them board without the appropriate documentation/passport/visa.
OP is Australian. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Australians don't need a visa to travel to Australia.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
When the airline sends outbound international flight passenger manifests to Homeland Security, a form of exit clearance happens behind the scenes in the sense that persons traveling on international passports are 'logged out' of the country electronically upon the transmission of that document rather than DHS having to pay for people to physically do so at the airport.

There's actually a different form that non-Canadians and non-Americans supposed to use if exiting the USA at a land border where there isn't that kind of passenger manifest to note your departure.
fred_bear likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
OP is Australian. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Australians don't need a visa to travel to Australia.
Yes but they don't know for sure OP has Australian passport until they physically verify it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.