Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL App : From a longtime UA flyer perspective

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold

Longtime United 1K who just recently (this year) switched to Delta and am currently Platinum Medallion. All things being equal, I think Delta is a much better airline. The planes are cleaner. It's not the end of the world if you end up in coach in the back for a domestic flight. The GAs and FAs are, across the board, way friendlier than with United. And the Sky Clubs are so much better than United's Clubs that it isn't even funny.

The one area where United is much better on than Delta is their app. On the United app you can:

* Same Day Change for available flights. This is so much easier than calling/tweeting to get an SDC done.
* Check Standby/Upgrade lists for all flights within 72 hours. If this can be done on Delta app, I can't find it. Very helpful when planning an SDC or even booking a flight.
* See where flight is coming in from for your departure. I find this hit or miss with Delta's app. Sometimes you can find it and sometimes you can't.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely am thrilled with the overall Delta service compared to United. Just wanted to share a few areas where improvement could make Delta even better.
'
Old May 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Agree 100%. SDC and inbound flight tracking is sorely missed in the Delta app. I can at least somewhat understand the argument (even if I disagree with it) why Delta doesn't want to do inbound tracking (they plane swap more aggressively than United does to keep schedules on time) but the lack of SDC in the app is embarrassing.

Also - I'm not sure what makes Delta's customer service so special. As a 1K, I never had to wait on the phone - with Delta, I regularly have 3-10 minute wait times as a Diamond (even without major IRROPs or AF strikes).
Old May 24, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When did the DL app drop in-bound flight tracking?
Old May 24, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

It's not there for all flights. I have found many flights over the past two weeks where the link to check on it just isn't there in the app. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:02 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I've noticed this too! Its very hit or miss for me. Additionally it doesn't allow you to see WHY there was a delay like the UA app and you can only see the standby lists on flights you are booked on.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Bottom line - DL is a much better airline than UA but all things IT related stink. The app is the child of dysfunctional parents (delta.com)
Old May 24, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Bottom line - DL is a much better airline than UA but all things IT related stink. The app is the child of dysfunctional parents (delta.com)
"Much better" is a pretty strong comparison.. what makes Delta so much better? Their ontime percentages are a bit better (although a lot of that is driven by their hub locations - which is only partially controllable due to path dependencies and gate ownership contracts).. and what else?
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 pm

I am no UNITED fan, but their app is better than DELTA's and has been for a while.

​​​​​​About the one good thing about DELTA's app is the ability to track your bags.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The UA app is amazing. The SDC functionality is particularly magical. DL's is decent but as already noted lacks some key functionality.

I've also noted the inbound aircraft info has been missing from my flights recently.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I like that UA enables fingerprint auth for parts of the app that require a login.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by kmersh
I am no UNITED fan, but their app is better than DELTA's and has been for a while.

​​​​​​About the one good thing about DELTA's app is the ability to track your bags.
United added that in the last 6 months. However, baggage tracking in the DL app is still better because DL doesn't remove the reservation from your device the second you have boarded the last segment of your itinerary. The UA app does so you can't easily track any bags tied to that reservation without some manual data entry.

-RM
Old May 25, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
When did the DL app drop in-bound flight tracking?
Only mainline. Delta connection flights are not trackable (is that a word)?
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
United added that in the last 6 months. However, baggage tracking in the DL app is still better because DL doesn't remove the reservation from your device the second you have boarded the last segment of your itinerary. The UA app does so you can't easily track any bags tied to that reservation without some manual data entry.

-RM
I had no idea that UNITED added baggage tracking in the last six months, having said that I rarely fly UNITED so that probably has something to do with it.

The UNITED app is not my favorite design, but it is more functional than the DELTA app in general.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:14 am

Just remember that showing the inbound flight can be a bit of a convoluted process if you are doing this from your actual itinerary screen via the “Today” screen. You have to tap “flight details” on the main itin screen, then unintuitively tap on the flight status itself (ie tap the “on time” / “delayed” / “boarding” indicator) from that screen to get to the more detail*, then select “view (yes even) more” at the bottom and you can see the inbound flight. Oh, and it doesn’t work on express flights. And you can only track one flight back. And that is why the UA app is the best .

* I have no idea why there are two “levels” deep to the flight status like this, it’s easy to get to the first level and not see the inbound flight info and think it’s not available... If you go through the app manually to search for “flight status”, this does not happen. But this weird “feature” could be why people sometimes think the information is not avaialble.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
The UA app clearing out your last flight upon departure like that (it disappears upon departure though, not upon boarding IME) has to be the single biggest palm slap error and seemingly easiest bug to fix. I can’t believe it hasn’t been fixed yet. Do these designers ever fly? DL wins though also thanks to the push alerts when your bag status changes ^.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; May 25, 2018 at 7:19 am
Old May 25, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

One other thing I just thought of that is fantastic with the DL app is the ability to tell me when the flight is boarding. As soon as I know it is boarding, ie starting with people who need help, I can leave the club and easily make it to my gate before Premium has even started to board. That is a HUGE plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.