Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on how to change a flight???

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Advice on how to change a flight???

Booked a basic economy flight from SDQ>JFK>DTW>ITH June 21. Was going to hop off at JFK. Now I need to be in St Louis June 20th.

Before I call to see how expensive its gonna be to change an international flight, would the change fees be waived if the ticket is attached to a platinum or diamond skymiles? Maybe, you can get the miles from my flight and I'll get my change fees waived since my flight would be tied to a premium skymiles account? Or other ideas on loopholes or at least get the flight from SDQ to STL significantly cheaper.
You can have my miles either way if you help me out. The international change fees are insane. I booked it 5/7.
It's for a good cause, volunteering unpaid to help a cash-strapped non-profit network to get their youth development program in an inner city back up and running.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
A) no, you would still pay change fees

B) you can't attach someone else's number to your ticket. I mean, you can, but it's against the rules and could result in that person's account being jacked up.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You could just book a JFK-STL or DTW-STL flight, that might be cheaper than changing the existing flight.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Basic Economy? You aren't just using that as short-hand for deep-discount economy? You really bought a Basic Economy fare? Those fares are nonrefundable/nonchangeable. I see Delta does offer Basic Economy fares SDQ-ITH.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
BE tickets can not be changed, even for a fee. You fly as ticketed or lose the funds.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Since it's a basic economy ticket, you can't make any changes to the ticket, period. Even if a DM books a basic economy ticket, they can't make any changes to it after the 24 hour risk free cancellation period ends.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:40 pm

Free changes for DM or PM only are for points tickets. For revenue tickets everyone is in the same boat re change fees. Perhaps you can wait for a schedule change which might give you some flexibility.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
ProTip: if you’re going to ask about something that is against the program rules, best not to use a screen name that is likely your real name, as DL does montitor and occasionally participate in this forum in an official capacity. (I do realize OP possibly/probably didn’t know this offer/favor would be against program rules for both his account and the other member).
Old May 21, 2018, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, so I googled their policy on change fees if there is a schedule change:If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
My travel date would be a day earlier and destination different so looks like it wouldn't matter. :/
Old May 21, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

But if it's greater than 90 minutes I can get a full refund. This seems highly unlikely though to occur? I saw someone post about 8 minute change and getting a full refund. I suppose I could wait and see,
Old May 21, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The schedule for June 21 is pretty well locked in. If you can't use this ticket at all, hope for a thunderstorm that causes the SDQ-ATL segment to be cancelled before your check-in deadline and call for a refund to your original form of payment.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
With many Main Cabin fares often within $20-50 of BE, I often wonder why anyone would book BE -- especially SO far in advance. I can understand same-day, or next day, where changes are unlikely, but MONTHS? To save... what?

Sorry, OP. I know this doesn't help you, but it's just a rant as we see this all-to frequently.

BE defaults must be a HUGE revenue stream for DL.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I have often wondered about this. I always look at the BE fare, but have never bought one for all the obvious reasons. But I still get tempted, and almost bought one last week for my niece to come visit. My wife prevailed and I didn't, but I was that close.
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Curtis Burrowes
But if it's greater than 90 minutes I can get a full refund. This seems highly unlikely though to occur? I saw someone post about 8 minute change and getting a full refund. I suppose I could wait and see,
Yes, such a change is unlikely to occur this close to the departure date. If someone got a full refund for an 8 minute change it could be because the small change put a connection time below the minimum required connection time.

You don’t say whether your original SDQ-JFK-DTW-ITH itinerary is actually one-way or the segments you posted are part of a round trip ticket. If it is round trip you should be aware that your plan to leave the itinerary at JFK would result in the cancellation of the rest of your ticket, including the return portion.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
With many Main Cabin fares often within $20-50 of BE, I often wonder why anyone would book BE -- especially SO far in advance. I can understand same-day, or next day, where changes are unlikely, but MONTHS? To save... what?

Sorry, OP. I know this doesn't help you, but it's just a rant as we see this all-to frequently.

For a family traveling on a vacation, $50 x 4 people = $200. For a lot people, this is a lot of money. That can be a nice dinner or a nicer room at the hotel or a nicer rental car. Maybe an extra day on vacation or another activity. I personally don't book BE tickets but I can understand the savings for those who do. Not everyone values the same things when flying that many of us on FT put such a high priority and value on.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.